PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 2 Estimated Specifications

Intrakitt
06-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Well, since many people are probably interested in estimated Xbox 2 specs, here you go. Hang on to your seat!

Intel NetBurst micro-architecture (Pentium 4 or revised name) on 0.07-micron process
Clock Speed: 7 GHz to 8 GHz
SSE2 Floating-Point Performance: 28 to 32 GFLOPS (or 64 GFLOPS with architecture improvements)
External Bus Bandwidth: 5.33 GB/sec

System Memory: 1024MB (1GB)
System Memory Bandwidth: 32 GB/sec (or up to 64 GB/sec)

NVIDIA XGPU2
Clock Speed: 1 GHz
128 Gigatexels per Second
512 Billion Anti-Aliased Samples per Second
Full-Scene Anti-Aliasing (4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, 64x)
64-bit color (16-bit floating point value per channel, RGBA)
2D and 3D Texture Compression
Z, Stencil, Shadow, and Multisampling buffers
Vertex Compression
Triangle Tessellation (including NURBS support)
Programmable Pixel and Vertex Processors
Full Hidden Surface Removal (boosting effective fillrate 8x = 1 Teratexel per Second)
High-Speed Rendering Buffer (partial frame buffer): 4MB to 8MB
High-Speed Texture Cache: 8MB to 16MB
Textures and Full Frame Buffers are stored in System Memory (1024MB)
32 to 64 Hardware Light Sources
1.25 Billion Particles per Second
3 Billion Polygons per Second (peak)
1.25 Billion Polygons per Second (sustained)
800 Million Polygons per Second (with effects)
15 Trillion Operations per Second
1.14 TFLOPS (1140 GFLOPS)
Screen Resolutions: 640x480 (TV), 1280x720 (HDTV), 1920x1080 (HDTV), up to 2048x1536 (VGA)

NVIDIA MCPX2
800 MHz
1024 Total Voices (256 3D Voices)
3D Modeled Sound
Dolby Digital Encoder
Multiple DSP units
10/100/1000 Ethernet
USB 2.0, DVD, HDD Controller

40x DVD-ROM
160GB Hard Disk Drive or 30GB Solid State Drive

US Release Date: Q4 2006
Japanese Release Date: Q1 2007

Remember that none of this information is official. It is all estimated based on possible economical PC technologies available around the release time for the console. More accurate specifications will be known as we get closer to the actual release date and as official information is released.

If other companies such as AMD, VIA, or ATI outbid or outclass Intel and/or NVIDIA for Xbox 2 chip deals, then these estimates would change slightly. However, the overall features would be fairly similar.

sinizuh
06-24-2002, 10:43 PM
if xbox2 had a VGA output, then that would be awesome!! :D :D but 2048x1536 is the max 2D res for video cards now... it'll increase for sure.

btw, DVDs are being replace in the near future... either with blu-ray or hologram disc. (hologram information (http://www.cnet.com/techtrends/0-6014-8-20013825-1.html?tag=ld))

do you really believe that CPU speeds can increase from 2.4ghz to 8 ghz in 6 years? ... well, i guess it's possible.

by the time xbox2 comes out, HDTV will be a standard and gigabyte ethernet will be the biggest thing for the internet.

wweomaniac
06-24-2002, 10:44 PM
very unofficial. Where did you find this?

I guess its all right if its an estimate. I hope AMD gets the liscence. AMD processors are so much more efficient then Intel, bot that the CPU really matters that much in consoles. GPU is what I'm looking for.

That unnammed GPU is hella wicked!

Intrakitt
06-24-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
very unofficial. Where did you find this?

Yes it is, and I found it on the HANK Files. Something you should all check out if you have the time to do a little reading.

http://hankfiles.pcvsconsole.com/

Frostberg
06-24-2002, 10:50 PM
Hmmm USB 2.0

Why isn't the world catching onto Firewire?? Well because USB 2.0 is already out, it has to be something better that that...and I hope it would be DTS in addition to DD sound.

And there probably wont be a TV resolution, as by 2005 all regular TVs will be obsolete unless they don't buy a HDTV converter...but for improved picture and sound they should just buy a new HDTV

Intrakitt
06-24-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg-XBA
Hmmm USB 2.0

Why isn't the world catching onto Firewire?? Well becazuse USB 2.0 is already out, it has to be something better that that...and I hope it would be DTS in addition to DD sound.

And there probably wont be a TV resolution, as by 2005 all regular TVs will be obsolete unless they don't buy a HDTV converter...but for improved picture and sound they should just buy a new HDTV
I don't think all TV's will be obsolete by the year 2005. To be honest, it's not that far off. Two and a half years just isn't that much time for everyone to adjust to the new (and expensive) technology of the HDTV.

sinizuh
06-24-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Intrakitt

I don't think all TV's will be obsolete by the year 2005. To be honest, it's not that far off. Two and a half years just isn't that much time for everyone to adjust to the new (and expensive) technology of the HDTV.

HDTV will go down in price when more of the major networks sign up for it... but will there be TVs under 32" that use HDTV?

Frostberg
06-24-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by sinizuh

HDTV will go down in price when more of the major networks sign up for it... but will there be TVs under 32" that use HDTV?
27" is the lowest I have seen...but there will have to be because by 2005 the networks and local affiliates must all broadcast 100% of their umm broadcasts in HDTV...now its currently pretty low, like 10 or 20%

So, its the law...and they will probably sell regular TVs with built in converters because they will be cheap and people will buy em...

Intrakitt
06-24-2002, 11:28 PM

27" is the lowest I have seen...but there will have to be because by 2005 the networks and local affiliates must all broadcast 100% of their umm broadcasts in HDTV...now its currently pretty low, like 10 or 20%

So, its the law...and they will probably sell regular TVs with built in converters because they will be cheap and people will buy em...
Ahhh! Well you see now that makes a lot more sense. At first I was like :eek: but now it sounds decent.

I'm gonna have to get one of those HDTV's and do it the right way, since I've heard Xbox looks SO much better on them.

NomadLLama
06-25-2002, 12:03 AM
well, according to moore's law, chip (processor) speeds double every 18 months(1.5 years) right now is 2.5 GHZ and 2006 is 4 years away. so itll be 5 ghz in 2005 and 10 GHZ in 2006 summer, fall. (about) in early 2006, since the speeds are going fast by then, i estimate about 8-9 GHz as the top-of-the-line speed (we started with 2.5 which is top-of-the-line now) xbox now has a much lower speed than today's 2.5 GHz and contrasting, it should be about a 6-7 GHZ. and the DVD will be dead by then. there is a new "DVD" that is coming and the bottom is blue. something about wavelength and i think itll hold 30 gigs. i didn't read the link posted about it. awesome if it could still play halo at enhanced rates by then.

X-Factor
06-25-2002, 12:37 AM
I'm sure the Xbox's NVIDIA XGPU2 will be more powerful than the PS3's "cell chip" technology. :D

FpS_PhReeK
06-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Maybe by the time they release Xbox2 the really good Xbox games will be out! Geez I cannot believe you guys are looking soooooo far ahead... It seems to be a commonality amongst Xboxers "the future seems so bright"

Alls I can say is they better make it backwards compatible so that I can play my Xbox1 games on the new system.

Oh BTW I say Monority Report today,,, damn those 'puters in that movie look tight, I hope that stuff happens sometime before I die... for real I am not being sarcastic...

Adema
06-25-2002, 01:00 AM
Look how long the VCR stayed around before people switched to DVD. Sure there may be something new and better out by 2006 but its bound to be expensive. So ppl will wait for prices to go down.

X-Factor
06-25-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by FpS_PhReeK
Oh BTW I say Monority Report today,,, damn those 'puters in that movie look tight, I hope that stuff happens sometime before I die... for real I am not being sarcastic... Hell yeah, I saw Minority Report yesterday, and all I can say is...WHOA! That movie was freaking bad ass! I like how Spielberg made the future look...:D

Intrakitt
06-25-2002, 01:58 AM
There's actually supposed to be a Minority Report game coming, am I right?

Haven't seen the movie yet, but have heard good things.:p

sinizuh
06-25-2002, 02:27 AM
the movie is based on a short story written a long time ago... except that in the story, the main computer starts to learn human emotions and in the end, it turns itself off and chaos spreads across the globe...

BCan
06-25-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by sinizuh

by the time xbox2 comes out, HDTV will be a standard and gigabyte ethernet will be the biggest thing for the internet.

I doubt DVD's will be replaced in the near future. We have already had VHS for nearly 20 years, and they aren't exaclty going anywhere soon. There is no viable DVD recording option for the mass market, so I would be surprised to see VHS fall before then, and DVD recording MAY be affordable by then.
Technological advances aren' t the main reason for a new format to take hold. It is economic pressure by the companies involved to get a new standard up and running, and that is why VHS beat BETA in the standard wars for video, even though BETA is technologically superior, being used by most TV networks for the high quality picture it provides.

HDTV as standard? How ludicrous is that, that is like suggesting every home has a DVD player too, or a PC. HDTV is way too expensive for the average user, here in Australia, we still have 6 years to run before they supposedly change from Analogue to Digital. Most likely to begin with, people will keep their old TV and use a set top box. Only if people need or want a new TV will they buy it, I guess if they no longer transmit in analogue, there would be no need to sell them, therefore all market space would be taken by Digital TV's. Not for a couple of years after Digital TV is standard, will HDTV become really affordable.

Gigabit Ethernet, that one is one that I am not sure about, since it means that Fibre Optics need to be used to get the reliable transmission that is needed to get this to operate. Fibre Optics for the home user is well out of their reach, always has been expensive, and hasn't changed since it was introduced.
Most cable modems have no need to operate on anything above a 10 MHz card, which transmits about 10-20 Megabytes per second, which is well above the current broadband transmission rates.

Overall, my personal opinion is that all of this technology may have more of a spread into the general public, but not at the amount you suggest. IF any of these suggestions are in place and considered standard in 10 years, then I will dance naked on the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Snoopy7548
06-25-2002, 10:24 AM
did u know that circuit city is starting to like remove all VHS tapes from their stores and ONLY carry dvd? and also, my circuit city does not carry regular tapes anymore, they only have CDs. so, in like 20 years, i bet you that dvds will be replaced by something else:D

thAshAdyOne
06-25-2002, 11:34 AM
Cool 1.5 trillion huzabilitzasos! 1 billion hulabalooz

but what I really wanna know is.................................................................................................. .....what color will it be?!?!?!?:p ;)

Hugh_Jass
06-25-2002, 02:00 PM
Why isn't the world catching onto Firewire??

USB 2.0 is 10% faster than firewire.

plpkb
06-26-2002, 01:15 PM
HDTV will be pushed back. Already most stations say they cant or wont make the switch over to hd anytime soon. It costs to much and hardly anyone has the sets to play them. The FCC will have to push the dates back.

BCan
06-27-2002, 08:19 AM
Frostberg, Remember my point, technological superiority doesn't mean widespread adaption.

Windows was originally a weak DOS shell, and the Apple MAC a lot better option. The fact that MS decided to make it work on all IBM Clones, ie PC's, and not on MAC's, and the emergence of the PC over the more expensive MAC, put them in the right position at the right time.

Firewire has always been expensive, and is aimed more at the Digital Video editing crowd, which is slowly becoming main stream.
USB was a cheap, easy alternative, that was put into Win98, and in the very late version of Win95, B and C versions. It was more timing than anything else that got USB where it sits today.

Many people forget that it is not what the technology can do for you, but the ease of use, and cost. USB put the Plug and Play into Plug and Play - allowing "hot-swapping" of items. It took changing hardware to the masses, whereas before it was putting things inside your PC to have "Plug and Play"

faceoff508
06-27-2002, 08:38 AM
Also I oun this at a site:

Ballmer went on hint that Xbox 2 would have improved Internet access and that the machine would become more like a net-compatible digital home appliance. Hmmm... not unlike what Sony have been saying about PS2 for years.

Industry rumours also suggest that Xbox may also have some other significant application other than just games console/DVD player. Some sources hint that, if the hard drive is big enough, it may also work as a Tivo-style digital video recorder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this happens it would be the coolest thing around. But again, this is all subject to change, and probably will. I can`t imagine what these guys will dream up in the next few years.

Nerrad529
06-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Not coming out till 2006 that's a long time away. If that information is accurate.