PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Working on Hybrid Xbox Project

UltimateAg
06-25-2002, 09:35 AM
http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=IO13IGQZHBDQ4CRBAEKSFEYKEEATIIWD?type=technologynews&StoryID=1127799

They're going to combine a digital video recorder with the xbox and sell it for $500. Of course it will have a larger hard drive.

(*requisite commentary below*)
I like the idea of combining the two, but the price seems a bit hefty considering you pay $200 for the xbox and then $300 for the tv tuner and extra hard drive space essentially. Or is this just another ploy at world domination. Microsoft already controls my pc, they now control my living room gaming experience, now they want to control my entire entertainment room! Oh well, resistance is futile.

Xbox Owner
06-25-2002, 10:28 AM
I would by it..if i had more info...

UltimateAg
06-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Would anyone consider buying this? And if you would, would you sell your current xbox?

SkoalMint
06-25-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by UltimateAg
Would anyone consider buying this? And if you would, would you sell your current xbox?

I'm not sure, but I don't think I'd buy this. Recently, SonicBlue (makers of ReplayTV) were orderd by a Federal judge to turn over user data to various movie studios and television networks as part of a copyright infringement lawsuit. Basically, it was data on individual users and how they use the service (i.e., what they viewed, what they recorded, what commercials they skipped, etc.) According to SonicBlue they don't even have a means of collecting that type of information. However, the court ordered them to develop software that will allow them to start collecting it. I think I will wait and see how this all shakes out and whether or not MS can put some serious privacy protections in place. I'm sure we will be giving up some privacy with XBLive, but I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to give up for a digital video recorder.

For those that are interested, you can read an article about the SonicBlue case here (http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/privacy/story/0,10801,71096,00.html)

Shorezy
06-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
I would by it..if i had more info...

Ditto man. I donno about it, but it sure does sound cool.

Hugh_Jass
06-25-2002, 01:48 PM
I already own a TiVo PVR and an ATI Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder (with PVR functionality). I don't need another PVR at this time.

In fact, I'm holding out for the MOXI Media Center, which should be available Q4/2002 or Q1/2003.

OppiumNitrates
06-25-2002, 01:48 PM
well considering that DVD recorders a like 500 alone its a stealto get Xbox also . . . but all together i dunno especially after reading that Blue thing . . .

No Fear 23
06-25-2002, 01:56 PM
what is tv tuning equipment??

Highlite23
06-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Did anyone notice that the article is dated today, but they talk about price cuts like they havn't happened yet??????????????:confused:

UltimateAg
06-25-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
Did anyone notice that the article is dated today, but they talk about price cuts like they havn't happened yet??????????????:confused:

No, I think they're refering to how much it costs to manufacture an xbox. Right now it costs Microsoft $325 to build a single xbox and they expect the cost to come down to $225. You're thinking like a consumer not an investor. (I can't imagine why you'd do that):D

Scarlet Spider
06-28-2002, 11:54 AM
a digital recorder to digitaly record what??

UltimateAg
06-28-2002, 01:18 PM
It's a PVR add on basically, like a TiVO. You can record tv.