PDA

View Full Version : Blasphemy

Taranis
06-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Okay, so I just got done playing through Halo for the first time. I'm a late adopter, what can I say.

While my intial impression was that Halo is one of the top 5 games of all-time, I have backed off that impression after playing through the game.

In the later stages of the game, I felt like the level design was extremely repetitive. That is my major complaint. I think each chapter was different from the other, but within the chapters, the gameplay seemed repetitive.

My other major complaint was that they didn't make enough use of the vehicles. I would have liked to have seen greater emphasis put on the vehicles other than just as modes of transportation.

Having said that, I still think Halo is a great game (Top 10 all-time), but I felt like these weaknesses should be pointed out. Especially, when there is so much hype and fanboy talk surrounding Halo.

UltimateAg
06-25-2002, 02:55 PM
There's a place in hell reserved for people like you.

J/K :)
Nobody claims that Halo is perfect (well, maybe some fanboys do but they don't count). Halo is a great game with some shortcomings. I agree I would have loved more time in the scorpion. I would have enjoyed fewer flood levels. But overall, I still think it's one of the best games I've played. What difficulty setting did you finish it on?

Dre
06-25-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Taranis
Okay, so I just got done playing through Halo for the first time. I'm a late adopter, what can I say.

While my intial impression was that Halo is one of the top 5 games of all-time, I have backed off that impression after playing through the game.

In the later stages of the game, I felt like the level design was extremely repetitive. That is my major complaint. I think each chapter was different from the other, but within the chapters, the gameplay seemed repetitive.

My other major complaint was that they didn't make enough use of the vehicles. I would have liked to have seen greater emphasis put on the vehicles other than just as modes of transportation.

Having said that, I still think Halo is a great game (Top 10 all-time), but I felt like these weaknesses should be pointed out. Especially, when there is so much hype and fanboy talk surrounding Halo.

You probably felt like the levels were repetitive since they are in fact the same levels. I found it took me a couple of times through the game before I finally grasped the story as a whole and then the whole level repeating itself didn't bother me anymore.

Plus, the big repetitive levels require extremely different strategies (at least they do on the harder difficulties) since you're fighting two completely different species (with completely different AI).

EHWfedPres
06-25-2002, 02:59 PM
halo is a good game, but not the best, no way. Morrowind, on the other hand...:p

Taranis
06-25-2002, 03:02 PM
I finished it on the "normal" difficulty setting and I want to go back and crank it up and go through it again.

I think Dre makes a great point about the 2 different enemy types. There was definitely something to learn there. How to deal with the Flood and their "run at you and scream" with the more elusive "duck and cover" of the Covenant. That's a great point.

Maybe, like Dre said, when I bump up the difficulty, I will grasp the overall story a little better. I think that would be true on multiple playings at any difficulty level, since you can pay more attention and not just be trying to finish.

EHWfedPres
06-25-2002, 03:08 PM
Rainforest? That sounds wet!:)

Taranis
06-25-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Rainforest? That sounds wet!:) Yes, but I'm Brian Fellows!

JJaX
06-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Its entire new game on legendary. Your tactics will change.
Also try Legendary Co-op, If one person dies revert to last check point. And lets not forget about multiplayer, Thats were halo shines. Nothing like system link with a group of friends.

I got 3 xboxs at my pad, And Halo is a blast!!!

And dont forget, if you have broadband you might be interested in going online with a program called xboxconnect.

Jon27
06-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Taranis

Man i so much agree with you, i feel the exact same way, at the start, i was Just like 'dude this is the greatest game ever, by the end i just wanted to get through the damn thing and finish it!

Thats not a good thing for a video game. The reason i also got tiered is because that it is so repetative, and not because you go backwards through the levels later on like that one guy said but because is stretches you go in to rooms time after time after time that looks exactly the same. Some times your like' wasnt i just there?' but you find that you wernt because there are new enemies in there. Still great same with multiplayer, but it should have been better for me

CodeMonkey
06-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Dont forget that most of the levels and stuff was done within 8 months, because they got the dev kits late
so if you look at it like that, its great

l Maximus l
06-25-2002, 09:00 PM
Halo's regular Campaign mode is definately fun, however, the multi-player aspect of the game still blows my mind to this day. :)

There's nothing like playing 8-16 people all at once....the multi-player aspect of Halo is arguably the multi-player experience I have ever had in a game. Obviously, I'm a huge multi-player/FPS junkie :D

E-Vader
06-25-2002, 09:11 PM
The gamplay of Halo was perfect best controls in a console FPS ever plus good story and enemy design (but I do hate the Flood)
Level design in Halo is the downer worst ever.
I,m playing MOHFL on PS2 at the mo' and cannot believe the level design just amazing.
But Halo was a first generation title and the only FPS avaliable.

faceoff508
06-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
halo is a good game, but not the best, no way. Morrowind, on the other hand...:p

God! Can you stop talking about Morrowind!! It wasnt that great, its not like Morrowind is your child and your trying to protect if from someones harsh words!! Morrowind was not the best game!

Slacker
06-25-2002, 09:17 PM

I felt the same way, that later on the levels get repetitive I still Love the game (yes my post about me hating Halo was a Joke)
No game is perfect no game will ever be perfect , even Doom III will have flaws

Dre
06-25-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508

God! Can you stop talking about Morrowind!! It wasnt that great, its not like Morrowind is your child and your trying to protect if from someones harsh words!! Morrowind was not the best game!

Wow dude.. your really taking this to heart aren't you.

Sargent_Ryan
06-25-2002, 11:02 PM
If you think the art is repetitive in some levels it actually has to be. Because don't you think all covenant ships will look almost the same? (Truth and reconciliation and keyes levels) Why would they have 2 totally different ships when they have to be the same. All of our spaceships look pretty much the same. And with control room and the other one that looks like it that I can't think of the name right now they are the same place so they have to look the same too. But the game like you said isn't perfect but I like it a lot. I beat it on legendary today for my first time it just took about a week but for that ending it was worth it. Hold me hahahhahaa.

Reclaimer
06-30-2002, 08:14 PM
Well what do you expect?
Military warships are generally the same all the way through. Sometimes you can't tell one space from the next in real life. I think the repetition adds a little realism. Think about it. "The Library" is actually a facility and if you where to place yourself in the boots of Master Chief of whoever in the game, I'm pretty sure it wasn't built with interior decorating in mind. Everywhere you go in the game had a purpose. P.o.A. the Silent Cartographer, whatever. It's not like there's an IKEA in outter space to spruce up the place. As for doing the samething over and over again, I guess you would feel like that when you meet the Flood. But that just shows the relentlessness of the Flood and how problematic they are. The introduction of the Flood is a turning point in the game. Yes there are waves of them but that just shows you that you are pretty much up a creek without a paddle. Multi-player has the most variations. Change everything on a map. Change the rules/weapons/vehicles/whatever. You could play the same map 50 ways differently. Sure the geography stays the same, but sometimes you don't have time to admire the sceneary with an invisible sniper on your tail.