PDA

View Full Version : NOW MY XBOX is making NOISES!!

wweomaniac
06-25-2002, 09:40 PM
I didn't think much about since it had been happening for more then a month now, but when my friend cae over today, he pointed out to me that it wasn't good. he read somewhere on XBOX.com that it has somethign to do with the gear jamming (I thought it was teh game rubbing onto the surface). But I realized he was right since the noise only occurred when opening and closing the disc tray.

Over at XBOX.com support, it says:
What can I do if my disc tray gets stuck and won't eject?

It is possible for the disc tray to get stuck if, for example, a game disc is loaded improperly into the tray. If you experience trouble ejecting the disc tray, try these steps:

1. Listen for unusual sounds that could indicate a jammed disc tray. Please note that attempting to dislodge a jammed disc tray yourself can potentially damage your game disc. If you hear an unusual noise, call Xbox Customer Care for further assistance.

2. If there is a disc in the disc tray and you do not hear any sound indicating a jammed disc tray, you can attempt to eject the disc:
Turn off power to the Xbox console.
Locate the manual eject, which is a small hole under the disc tray, to the left of the Power and Eject buttons. (This is similar to the manual eject on a computer disc drive).
Using the end of a bent paper clip or other tool, press the manual eject. This should partially eject the disc tray. Remove the game disc and close the tray.
3. If you are unable to dislodge the disc with these steps, or if you continue to experience problems, please call Xbox Customer Care at 1-800-4MY-XBOX for further assistance.

So I guess I'll call the XBOX support number tomorrow. That noise is really annoying and scary.

Just to let you all know :) I had been noticing a few of these thread before also... so there's your solution

faceoff508
06-25-2002, 09:47 PM
God I am so afriad right now!! I have no warranty so I am going to be ****ed when my Xbox breaks. I know its going to happen, its just matter of when!!:mad:

squid413
06-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Man that kind of sux. If my xbox breaks i'll probably go to best buy and tell them it's not working and get a replacement one. Hope i could do that. I got my xbox from Target.

Xbox Owner
06-25-2002, 10:19 PM
I just think eveyone is paranoid now. I mean,..I took my controller out the wrong way..oh my! My Xbox is broke! But if it is broken I hope you get it fixed.:)

Shorezy
06-25-2002, 10:55 PM
Ok, this is a little freaky how all of a sudden this crap is happening, but let's try to calm down. Just try to fix it and hope this "wave of breaking" will stop soon enough.

monkeyman
06-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by XBox Owner
I just think eveyone is paranoid now. I mean,..I took my controller out the wrong way..oh my! My Xbox is broke! But if it is broken I hope you get it fixed.:)

yeah i know

yesterday my cat walked by my xbox and smacked it with his tail really hard now im scared that my xbox fan will go flying out of the xbox and smack me in the eye:confused:

NomadLLama
06-26-2002, 01:17 AM
dang. my xbox made some noises when i closed the disc tray and there was no disc, but that noise soon went away. man, all of these things are happening NOW. that's not good. good thing for me is that i can still get an extended warranty. im still in my 90 day warranty. weird because i bought my box in march and the tech support guy said that my warranty ends in july... strange. but i am definitly getting it.

guitargod711
06-26-2002, 07:10 AM
No extended warranty for me. I'm not worried though, cause if something happens, I'll just buy a new one and put the old back in the box. Stores still get the credit for it. Or, I'll just buy a new one and keep the old one for parts.:cool:

One question though? You guys having problems with the tray aren't closing it manually without pushing the close button r u ?

wweomaniac
06-26-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by guitargod711
No extended warranty for me. I'm not worried though, cause if something happens, I'll just buy a new one and put the old back in the box. Stores still get the credit for it. Or, I'll just buy a new one and keep the old one for parts.:cool:

One question though? You guys having problems with the tray aren't closing it manually without pushing the close button r u ? LOL!! That's what I said I'd do :) I guess we both think alike. I've done that twice with my Sega Gamegear... stupid thing sucked bad...

After I get home today from a beautiful day, I'm callng tech support.

wweomaniac
06-26-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by guitargod711

One question though? You guys having problems with the tray aren't closing it manually without pushing the close button r u ? Yeah, I just push the tray in. I don't push the button, never have, never had to.

guitargod711
06-26-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
Yeah, I just push the tray in. I don't push the button, never have, never had to.

That could be the problem. Maybe the sides aren't aligned good enough.If one side is loose, pushing it in manually would put wear on the other side, thus causing the gears to jam. The Dreamcast had a similar problem. The disk wouldn't spin unless you have gave it a spin and closed the lid real fast. Well, the problem was burnt out motors cause people were opening the lid and stopping the disc . Not letting it stop on it's own. They said you could just open the disc and the automatic braking system would stop the disc, but i always turned the power off when i switched games. I never had that problem. :cool:

Laxeph
06-26-2002, 07:46 AM
You don't use the button!?! You push the tray!?! No wonder the gears are making noises. I know that isn't good for them.

Snoopy7548
06-26-2002, 10:54 AM
this sucks. ive been hearing about so many problems with the xbox. i just hope mine doesnt break. anyway, my xbox is fine, and like 90% of the time, when i put a game in, i just like push the cd tray in a little bit. its not a hard push, its like a soft push, but hard enough to get it to close.

EHWfedPres
06-26-2002, 11:21 AM
People need to be more careful with their $150 machines...

Hugh_Jass
06-26-2002, 11:55 AM
I ALWAYS use the button for the XBOX and all the CD/CD-R/DVD/DVD-R drives I've ever owned for my PCs.

Ninja Scroll
06-26-2002, 12:08 PM
I have yet to have any issues with my Xbox,... then again, I dont play it as much since I am addicted to Resident Evil remake right about now.
And I dont have a warranty for either Xbox nor GC,.. as a matter of fact I have never payed for any kind of warranty for anything I have ever owned.
And out of all my hardware consoles I have had absolutely no issues other than my Dreamcast dieing on me out of nowhere earlier this year.:(

btw, anyone wanna hook their XBA hero up with a DC?!:o
;)

Spaztic
06-26-2002, 02:14 PM
I always pushed the disk deal closed, do it on all of my computers, never had a problem....I think alot of people suffer from being stupid! Not worried about my xbox breaking will just buy a new one and put the broken on in its box and return. Always works and no! they don't check serial no's.

wweomaniac
06-26-2002, 02:24 PM
OK.. I'm home. I guess I'll call the xbox support line now.

BTW.. I swear, I doubt it's because of me pushing. It doesn't matter if you push the tray in. Its just a gentle tap, nothing forceful. It shouldn't damage the drive. Why else would it go in if you tap it? It's meant to be tapped in.

1-888-4myxbox right? ::dialing::

OppiumNitrates
06-26-2002, 04:01 PM
my Xbox makes noise too . . . . When someone in Halo gets hit with a rocket Master Chief goes . ."Ahhhhhhhhhahaahahhahaa"