PDA

View Full Version : XBOX2 in 2006, is it too soon or too far away?

Ninja Scroll
06-26-2002, 08:56 AM
How do you feel about Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer making the comments below? Do you feel you will get your moneys worth for your Xbox with only about a 4-5 year life span?
It's not like the old days where Sega Genesis & SNES ruled da world and were around forever it seemed.
What are your thoughts?:)

I feel with the compo being so heated that the hardware wars are just gonna make the life span of the current console short, and will continue until Micosoft finally takes over this billion dollar a year industry.

Xbox 2 in 2006?

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer comments on the next iteration of the Xbox.

In an interview with Nikkei News, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said that the Xbox 2 would be ready in time for the next World Cup tournament, which is scheduled to take place in 2006. No other specific details were given about the hardware, but Ballmer reiterated that Microsoft is focused on bolstering the current Xbox hardware with a larger lineup of games.
We'll have more as it becomes available.

faceoff508
06-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Its okay with me, but the only thing that bothers me that PS3 will come out a year before Xbox 2, so PS3 will have better slaes!!

XBOX MSSC
06-26-2002, 09:02 AM
MS said we'll have XBOX 2 out before PS3 can get a foothold on the market again. :) don't worry be happy :)

Ninja Scroll
06-26-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by faceoff508
Its okay with me, but the only thing that bothers me that PS3 will come out a year before Xbox 2, so PS3 will have better slaes!!

But MS already announced they would not allow Sony to have a whole 1 year head start with the PoS3.
I feel the Xbox2 is already in the developemental stages right now as Sony's PoS3 is.
If MS allows this to accure again in the next war on consoles, then it really may be over the next go around.:(

faceoff508
06-26-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

But MS already announced they would not allow Sony to have a whole 1 year head start with the PoS3.
I feel the Xbox2 is already in the developemental stages right now as Sony's PoS3 is.
If MS allows this to accure again in hte next war on consoles, then it really may be over the next go around.:(

But sony said it was going to release it in 2005!! Thats one year before 2006!!

Ninja Scroll
06-26-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by faceoff508

But sony said it was going to release it in 2005!! Thats one year before 2006!!

Yes, your right faceoff, but as I originally said. MS said they would not allow a WHOLE YEAR HEAD START.
Yes, the PoS3 will debut before the Xbox2, but not have a clear start like they did with PoS2.
I still have some doubt that Xbox will catch up to PoS2.
But hopefully Xbox Live will be our savior, as I-Ninja Scroll am da XBA savior!:D

Casper
06-26-2002, 09:38 AM
I think that it will happen quicker than 2006. I think that they maybe using that as some type of marketing ploy (I hope so at least). I mean, look at how many different operating systems they have made :confused: . But for them to have other companies working on the hardware and M$ is just having their boys work on the .net or VB codes, I really don't think that they will wait longer than Sony.

I also am wondering whether or not they are going to make it backwards compatible, god I hope so. :D

Shorezy
06-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by casper
I think that it will happen quicker than 2006. I think that they maybe using that as some type of marketing ploy (I hope so at least). I mean, look at how many different operating systems they have made :confused: . But for them to have other companies working on the hardware and M$ is just having their boys work on the .net or VB codes, I really don't think that they will wait longer than Sony.

I also am wondering whether or not they are going to make it backwards compatible, god I hope so. :D

Good Point Casper. But i think they'll stick with the plans they have. I just hope Xbox can come on top of the PS3. We'll just have to wait and see. As for backwards compatibility, amen casper, i hope so too.

xboxmaster2002
06-26-2002, 10:45 AM
they never said the counsole is going to come out in 2006 they said the coonsole is going to come out around 2006.

NomadLLama
06-26-2002, 10:58 AM
meh... it too early to talk about this. anyways, i am not going to get this xbox2 right when it first comes out. that price drop really sucked. so im gonna wait. if the console wars are going to be new hardware every 3-4 years, there is bound to be some kind of price drop after a couple months...

RudedogX
06-26-2002, 11:13 AM
A couple of things, first...no official date, so as far as we know MS could be overestimating there time frame and as it's been said, MS stated they won't give Sony a year head start. So what, PoS3 comes out in August and XBox2 comes out March? Who knows, there's way too much time between now and then to start worrying about it now.

Then you've got what will be the true affordable hardware by that time. Who knows, this new system could be 500.00 as far as we know, for both systems! I'm waiting till more is announced before I start to worry about it. Anyone remember that wonderful machine called the Dolphin? Just a thought...

EHWfedPres
06-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Competition is what ruined the video game industry. Everyone is out to beat the other guy, screw the people who want more games, not more systems. A video game system these days should be around for over 5 years. With the capability of the XBox, there's no reason why it shouldn't be. If the PS2 is really all that good as some fággots say, then why make another one?

Rusted Gundam
06-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Im fine with its date right now. I just hope Sony doesnt get a head start like the Ps2 did that hurt the Xbox alot.:(

Ninja Scroll
06-26-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
Anyone remember that wonderful machine called the Dolphin? Just a thought...

Yeah, I do. It's called da GameCube.:rolleyes:

Dolphine was da codename homie!;)

Hugh_Jass
06-26-2002, 12:04 PM
I'd like to see them release a new XBOX every 2-3 years. Five years is too long and the graphics will suck compared to PCs by then.

The beauty of the XBOX design using (slightly modified) standard components is that they can release a new version with very little ramp-up time compared to custom-designed hardware.

I spend more on a year of basic cable than the cost of the XBOX. If the hardware is good for 2-3 years I know I've got my money's worth.

Xbox Owner
06-26-2002, 12:14 PM
That's cool and all. You know what they should do, though? I think they should start making a crap load of games, as we speak, for Xbox 2. I know, they still have to do Xbox, but they could still start making games for Xbox 2. Well, Xbox 2 probably isn't designed yet, but once they do that, they should start making games. Then, at lauch we should have a good 20-30 games! I don't know, it's just my opinion.:)

DZNUTZ
06-26-2002, 12:14 PM
compitition ruined the industry...sorry..but thats gotta be one of the stupidest things i've eva read on this board. without compitition folks wouldn't be so pressed to invent inuitive and groundbrecking technology ( in software and hardware).

btw...i'll buy xbox2 on launch day.....the extra 100 dollars i payed for my xbox one ( not including all the extras i had to pay for a bundle) was more then worth the time i had my supreme console compared to those who waited for the price drop.

Dre
06-26-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I'd like to see them release a new XBOX every 2-3 years. Five years is too long and the graphics will suck compared to PCs by then.

The beauty of the XBOX design using (slightly modified) standard components is that they can release a new version with very little ramp-up time compared to custom-designed hardware.

I spend more on a year of basic cable than the cost of the XBOX. If the hardware is good for 2-3 years I know I've got my money's worth.

Same here. As long as the systems are backwards compatible I wouldn't mind upgrading to the newer Xbox every 3 years.

RudedogX
06-26-2002, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I do. It's called da GameCube.:rolleyes:

Dolphine was da codename homie!;)

Yeah, I know bro, but the Dolphin was supposed to have a DVD and numerous other things that never made it to the GameCube. That was my point on that one. You just don't know what is going to be in the final product or if it is going to be worth it.

UltimateAg
06-26-2002, 01:29 PM
This was off of planetxbox.com.

All Out Of Context, A Correction
Translations, context, all too often rumors are started by misinterpretation of context or errors in translation. This seems to be the case with a story PlanetXbox and many other sites have run over the last day or so concerning Steve Ballmer’s recent comments to Nikkei. Earlier today, we were sent the following correction by a Microsoft spokesperson:
"The comment was taken out of context by Nikkei, possibly due to translation. What Steve Ballmer really said, jokingly, was that Xbox2 would be out closer to the next World Cup than this one. While there are dozens of engineers who are always looking at what the future will hold, Xbox remains laser focused on creating great video games and we have not made any specific announcements."
So, there you have it. As exciting as the news seemed yesterday it appears it was all just a translation error.

All of this speculation has been just that, speculation. Sony has lost its head start, round 2 hasn't even begun. We don't know when the xbox will come out but there's no way Microsoft would make the same mistakes twice in letting Sony get a year's head start.

Ninja Scroll
06-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX

Yeah, I know bro, but the Dolphin was supposed to have a DVD and numerous other things that never made it to the GameCube. That was my point on that one. You just don't know what is going to be in the final product or if it is going to be worth it.

Um,... they did release it rudedogX,.. the GC DVD is available only in Japan. It's manufatured by Panasonic for I believe over $300.00!!! I maybe off, give or take a few nutz.

btw, I wonder how Nintendo feels about MS & Sony dropping new console in a couple more years?:eek:

RudedogX
06-26-2002, 02:50 PM

btw, I wonder how Nintendo feels about MS & Sony dropping new console in a couple more years?:eek:

Sweatin' it big time! You know they're praying that if they let MS make games for the GBA, they can make games for the big green! Hmmm...nah...I don't see Nintendo going the way of Sega.

Either way, they probably have something in the works, but they're always trying to be so different, they'll probably still f' it up!

As for the Panasonic deal, I know, but even that doesn't have all of what was supposed to be on the dolphin, you're still missin' my point. The specs were laid out to bring this machine to the market that could very well have been better than the xbox (on paper), but then the idiots let the ball drop and let some half-assed idiot make it a proprietary disc for the majority of the games. So again, who knows what is really going to be in the new XBox or the PS3, we'll just have to wait another 3 years to find out. I think I'll be ready for a new system by then at least!