Xbox Owner
06-27-2002, 02:24 PM
What was that place?

MethodZ
06-27-2002, 02:26 PM
prob an emulater place or something

Dre
06-27-2002, 02:43 PM
MAME = multiple arcade machine emulator.

Basically, it emulates arcade machines and it does a pretty good job at it as well.

JJaX
06-27-2002, 02:45 PM
Gee Dre, Where did you get that Site?!?

:p :D

Dre
06-27-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Gee Dre, Where did you get that Site?!?

:p :D

LOL! So true :) I went to check the site out this morning and all was good. This afternoon I'm like WTF? Damn MS lawyers.. they're everywhere!

Magnum Blast
06-27-2002, 02:57 PM
And God said let there be Satan so people dont blame everything on me. And God said let there be Lawyers so people don't balme everything on Satan.

MethodZ
06-27-2002, 03:01 PM
tisk tisk

Spaztic
06-27-2002, 03:07 PM
they shut down xtender mod chip site as well! So only one mod chip remains, to bad the bios was realeased because now anyone can make a mod chip (given they know what they are doing). m$ is on the ball trying to protect there investment! Too bad the info is out and it is poping back up as soon as one site goes down....kinda like napster!

YO DRE IF YOU SEE THIS POST GO THE THE MODCHIP POST YESTERDAY I FOUND THE ARTICLE ABOUT MS WANTING TO MAKE A PROGRAM THAT HOOKS YOUR XBOX UP TO YOUR COMPUTER (sorry bout the caps, just wanted dre to see this!)

MethodZ
06-27-2002, 03:09 PM
i bet if the mod chip worked really well xbox sales would increase

Dre
06-27-2002, 03:21 PM
The thing I think MS is most concerned about is an overwhelming popularity with the Xbox mod chip. Seeing as how these mod chips allow "homebrew" code to be run on the Xbox, whats stopping people from writing a virus to mess with the Xbox Live service when it comes out. Whats stopping someone from writing a program that always does headshots in Unreal Tournament or an editor for Star Wars Galaxies or Phantasy Star Online? This is exactly the kind of crap I hope isn't spawed by these mod-chips but inevitably will be if the opportunity is there. And thats why I think MS is coming down so hard on the modders.

Caliadar
06-27-2002, 06:27 PM
MAME is an arcade emulator that lets you run all the old arcade games on your PC. I guess they were trying to port it to the xbox.

GokuX
06-27-2002, 08:35 PM
Isn't Napster toast?...

Caliadar
06-27-2002, 09:18 PM
Napster is dead yes, but its far superior offspring are still alive and kicking. Kazaa (light), Morpheus, and Grokster are all really good.

UnitedKingdom
06-28-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Caliadar
MAME is an arcade emulator that lets you run all the old arcade games on your PC. I guess they were trying to port it to the xbox.

I downloaded it the day before it got shut down! Just hope it works!

Here is the readme file ------

----------------------------------------------------------------------
MAME-X (XBox port of M.A.M.E) ported by OpCode, interface by plonkman
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------
changes:
Beta 4:

Fixed scratchy sound in that occurred some games sound should be 100% correct now (well on par w/ MAME anyway).

Mapped all speakers in a 5.1 stereo system (i.e. all left channel goes to left channel speakers (Front and Back) and likewise w/ right channel, mono I think plays in all channels), this sounds a LOT better IMHO on nice stereo systems.

Mapped MAME's Config Menu to the XBox White button. With this you should be able to configure button mappings and anything else you can configure through this menu. NOTE: as of this release nothing is saved so you will have to reconfigure games every time you start them.

Mapped MAME's pause key to the XBox Black button.

Fixed the game list to read available games from the roms directory no matter what case they are in they will show up as available as long as the rom is named correctly.

Beta 3:

Fixed crash when returning to game selection menu from a game then trying to load another game. This means you can play as many games as you like from your media without rebooting.

The game list now displays ALL games that you have roms for in the roms directory on the disk. This should either clutter the screen less (if you have less than a full set of roms) or more since now clones WILL be displayed if you have the clone roms.

Beta 2:

Moved the direction controls to the DPAD by request supposudly 8 way games didn't work with the analog stick and they will with the dpad (again thats what I was told, not confirmed).

Added Reset key combo (White+Black buttons) this helps a lot in williams games (defender and joust to name a couple) that stick at testing when they do this press the White+Black buttons and it will reset the game and then work.

Added return to game seletion menu (Back+Start buttons). NOTE: You can select another game but when you play it it will load the roms then lock up, I don't know why yet.

Beta 1:

First Relase

FAQ

Q: How do I get past the press OK to continue windows?
A: Press Left then Right on the DPAD this simulates typing OK.

Q: Why do NEO GEO roms give me the OK screen then lock up when emulation starts?
A: It appears if you haven't set your XBOX's time this will be the result, set the xbox time.

Getting MAME up and running

Ok here's a quick guide on how to get this running. First unzip the contents of this archive to some directory on your HD (preserving the archives directory structure). You then should have these files:

/default.xbe - mame executable
/mame.ini - mame config file
/Media/Font.xpr - font used for menu display
/roms - directory where mame rom files should be placed
/mame.txt - Official MAME readme file
/xbox.txt - the text file you are reading now

You should place you mame roms in the roms folder either in zipped format or in unzipped format (I recommend zipped format). Don't ask where to get roms, I don't know.

You then should create an gdf format iso (there are xbox iso creation tools floating around find one) of the directory I described above. Burn the resulting iso to the media of your choice (from testing DVD-RW works best less read errors and less times you have to reboot or eject to get the xbox to recognize the media). Now the easy part, boot the xbox with the disc in the drive, it is working if you see a list of games. If it doesn't work at this point try rebooting the xbox if it still doesn't work then you must have done something wrong.

The mame.ini file

You really shouldn't have to change anything in this file as long as you follow the directions above. One thing you may but probably won't need to change is the resolution parameter. This parameter determines at what resolution mame will try to render to on your TV, from testing I have found 587x440 to work well on my TV. If mame games seem to be cut off you may need to back this resolution off (remember to keep the aspect ratio at 4:3).

This file is mostly self explanatory as it follows the standard mame.ini file. Please note that I have not tested many options from the ini file but they should work, if you wonder if something like scanlines or the filter effects work, give them a try please.

Game selection

The interface for displaying games only displays non-clone games. This was done to cut down on the number of games displayed, scrolling through 3500 is crazy! To select a game from the list of games displayed first scroll to the game you want to play using the L trigger & R trigger buttons. L trigger scrolls up and R trigger scrolls down, the scrolling speed is determind by how hard the button is pressed (I know it can be a bit tricky to get it to stop on a game). Once a game is highlited, press the A button to load the game roms and start the emulation.

Emulating a game

IMPORTANT: WHEN GAME EMULATION ASK YOU TO PRESS OK, PRESS L THEN R ON THE DIGITAL PAD.

The only thing that needs explaining here is the buttons on the xbox controller. I mapped the buttons as follows:

Digital Pad - Direction controller
A - MAME button 1
X - MAME button 2
B - MAME button 3
Y - MAME button 4
L Trigger - MAME button 5
R Trigger - MAME button 6
White Button - Brings up or Hides MAME Config menu
Black Button - MAME Pause Key
Start - MAME Start button (starts games)
Back - MAME Select button (inserts coins)
Black+White - Reset (useful for willaims games that require a reset)
Start+Back - Return to selection menu, can't play another game though
I seem to have a bug here it locks up after loading roms

MAME-X will support up to four controllers mapping them to the game you are emulating if it supports that many controllers.

Note on Large Games

From testing I have found that larger new games that total in size above around 29MB will not run on the xbox port of mame. If you select a game and it tries to load the roms and it doesn't play it is because the xbox ran out of memory or the roms couldn't be found. Some games will show a blank screen after loading which also means they ran out of memory or something (meaning I truly don't understand why yet), I've only seen this on large games.

Final Notes

This port would not have been possible without the excellent work by the core MAME team (read the mame.txt file). The work that has been put into MAME is trully amazing and the MAME team should be given all the credit they deserve.

Well thats about wraps it up I'm not much on documentation and this is still a work in progress.

JJaX
06-28-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Caliadar

They didnt try, They did.

And Mame-X isnt quite dead yet. The source code is still floating around. All you need to do is compile it yourself. Ther hard part is getting the code, Maybe if you know someone that has it..............
M$ even made MAME take down the BIN code off the main site. M$ means business...

Its a shame too, If the general public knew they could emulate wth such ease more xboxs would be flying off the shelf.