PDA

View Full Version : The xbox controller.....

latexdeath
06-27-2002, 02:58 PM
Hi, first post for me here.
I have borrowed an xbox off a friend of mine,and my first thought was that the machine is pretty impressive graphic and wotnot-wise, but it's a bit on the big and ugly side though!!
Then, as I was trying to play Tony Hawk 3 I almost destroyed the controller as it was the most uncomfortable joypad I have ever used! I, and everyone else that has played it complains of sore hands etc after just 4 or 5 minutes of playing!! And, to add insult to injury I am so crap at Tony Hawk 3 it is embarrassing. I must admit I was damn good at THPS 2 and 3 on the playstation! Is it just me and my fiance and my friends and all her friends that find these controllers would be far better embedded in the wall as a warning to other controllers?
I think the xbox has serious advantages over the other machines but if you cant play a game for more than 5 minutes at a time, you aren't going to get your moneys worth out of the machine and the games.
Is there any other controllers that are comfortable to use (like a PS2 controller clone maybe?) and don't cost the earth? Cos you shouldn't have to pay a fortune to get the correct use out of the xbox now , should we children? Or is that another marketing trap cunningly deployed by Satan himself, Mr. Gates?
mmmmmmm.....................

Spaztic
06-27-2002, 03:01 PM
actually you have several options,
1. buy m$'s s controller, smaller fells more like ps2 controller
2. buy mad catz generic controller
3. or go to lik-sang(or something like that) and they have a xbox to ps2 controller converter, so you can use your ps2 controller w/ the xbox.

Magnum Blast
06-27-2002, 03:01 PM
Yeah theres another controller made by Microsoft called the controller S. Its a smaller version of the Xbox controller with a few other changes (buttons moved and a normal D-pad). Oh and I'll be informing my master Mr. Gates that you've figured out his secret latexdeath.

Taranis
06-27-2002, 03:02 PM
I must have enormous hands. The XBox controller fits perfect for me. :)

Magnum Blast
06-27-2002, 03:04 PM
It fits perfectly for me too. Oh and when I invite ppl over to play on the Xbox I have a little saying. Use the controller and don't complain or else you'll leave a little early out the 2nd floor window.

DZNUTZ
06-27-2002, 03:05 PM
latexdeath...welcome to xba:)

their are 2 types of 1st party xbox controllers...the reg, and one called the s-series which is smaller and similar to the regular japenesse versions.

their are also several different 3rd party controllers of all shapes and sizes.......not to mention adapters that are sold that allow u to use GC or ps2 1st pary controllers while playing your xbox.

personally i like the controller you are refering to...yes just like u..it was akward at first...but a lil pratice and patience and i'm sho you'll adapt nicely.

i own all the next gen consoles...and luv em all...but xbox is my personaly fav. controller and all.

Steve1987
06-27-2002, 03:07 PM
If you find the controller uncomfortable, then try a different one. But i personally find the Xbox controller very comfortable, as it's big enough for the whole hand, and not a tiny little thing you try to hang on, like i did with my Dreamcast (That really made my hands sore). The only problem i have is that after pushing down the triggers for ages, sometimes makes your fingers sore, but apart from that that No Complaints from me. :cool:

UltimateAg
06-27-2002, 03:09 PM
Personally, I find the original controllers to have a 'solid' feel to them and I like the size. It's just not meant for 6 year old girls. :D So yes you have many controller options when it comes to the xbox and as far as I know the most expensive is $30, so that's not too bad.

BigGamer X
06-27-2002, 05:17 PM
I thought my hands were *slightly*(I'm 5-7" what do you want!) smaller than normal, but I still find the original controller very comfortable. I haven't bothered to buy an "S" controller.