PDA

View Full Version : 16x9 & High 1080 mode

damagex
06-27-2002, 05:39 PM
I've been trying to find info on games that support 16x9 and higher resolution than 480p.

I've been to http://144.92.220.70/hdg.asp?System=Xbox

My question regarding 16x9 is, do games specifically have a configuration option or do they auto-detect based on the settings of the Xbox. I remember games on the Dreamcast actually had a widescreen option, but so far I haven't seen one in the games I've played. According to the link above, SSX Tricky and MotoGP both support 16x9. There are no options in the menu to specify that, so how do you know? Sometimes it's is hard to tell if somethings are squashed or not. If I had to guess I would say Tricky is not 16x9 and is actually 4x3 stretched.

Has anyone seen a game that gives you a widescreen option in the menus?

Redarding the HD resolution 1080i, I've read in this forum that there are no 1080i games, but has anyone read an article about a game that will (maybe) support that mode? Or even 720?

CodeMonkey
06-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by damagex
I've been trying to find info on games that support 16x9 and higher resolution than 480p.

I've been to http://144.92.220.70/hdg.asp?System=Xbox

My question regarding 16x9 is, do games specifically have a configuration option or do they auto-detect based on the settings of the Xbox. I remember games on the Dreamcast actually had a widescreen option, but so far I haven't seen one in the games I've played. According to the link above, SSX Tricky and MotoGP both support 16x9. There are no options in the menu to specify that, so how do you know? Sometimes it's is hard to tell if somethings are squashed or not. If I had to guess I would say Tricky is not 16x9 and is actually 4x3 stretched.

Has anyone seen a game that gives you a widescreen option in the menus?

Redarding the HD resolution 1080i, I've read in this forum that there are no 1080i games, but has anyone read an article about a game that will (maybe) support that mode? Or even 720?

Dragon Lair 3D will be 1080i and Burnout will be 720p
also many games out there use 16x9

mahalan
06-27-2002, 05:57 PM
A number of games support 16x9. If your Xbox is setup to allow 16x9 display, the game will automatically display in that mode. Otherwise, you get the normal full screen.

The best any game has done is 480p to date. I have yet to see anyone even announce a game that will display 720p or 1080i. Well, that's not entirely true. I've seen announcements but nothing credible. I've also seen games say that they work at 720p but they actually don't. Personally, I can't wait for someone to take advantage of the Xbox's potential.

damagex
06-27-2002, 06:15 PM
CodeMonkey, you say Burnout "will be...", isn't it released already? I've heard peolple say yes and no to Burnout support of 720p. I will give it a try and see if my TV will switch modes to 720p.

I haven't looked at the cases of the games I own yet, but do the games explicitly mention 16x9 support similar to the way DVD movies do on the back of the case? Any of them?
Thanks!

techie
06-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Yes, Burnout has been released.
No, it does not do 720p, only 480.