PDA

View Full Version : N64 Emulation

E-Vader
06-28-2002, 05:48 AM
N64 emulation on the Xbox, I found this on XboxAU

http://daedalus.boob.co.uk/

Ok, I thought it was time to post some more interesting news.

A few months ago I was a bit bored after work and I thought I'd have a go porting Daedalus to run on the Xbox. Initially I was expecting it to take a couple of weeks, but I managed to get it up and running within a couple of hours (most of the time was just spent stripping out Windows specific code). Since then I've added a couple of cool features to take advantage of the Xbox's hardware: namely a couple of directly defined pixel shaders that precisely simulate the N64's combiner and blender. I've also managed to get fogging to work correctly for the first time, as well as the second detail texture that's used for certain special effects. I'm now looking at adding these features to the PC version of Daedalus too. You can see some of the first screenshots here.

I've not yet decided what I'm going to do about a release yet, as I'm pretty sure my employer won't be keen for me to release an executable (I'm guessing it goes against our developer's license with Microsoft). I've been playing around with MAME-X this week and I'm interested to see what happens with that. When I get around to releasing the next version of the source for Daedalus I'll probably also post a set of diffs in order to make the Xbox build, for any other Xbox developers out there to play around with. In the meantime I'll keep posting screenshots and progress reports up here.

http://daedalus.boob.co.uk/xbox_screenshots.shtml

Young_Fledgling
06-28-2002, 10:03 AM
ummm wow that was very confusing... but i think i got the general idea... so ur saying u made it so we can play n64 games on the xbox? but how do u fit a cartridge in the little cd drive? like how do we get the n64 game in their.. i am a very confused little boy. :confused:

JJaX
06-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by wardpr68
ummm wow that was very confusing... but i think i got the general idea... so ur saying u made it so we can play n64 games on the xbox? but how do u fit a cartridge in the little cd drive? like how do we get the n64 game in their.. i am a very confused little boy. :confused:

1st off e-vader has nothing to do with the creation of Daedalus.
He took his quote off of http://daedalus.boob.co.uk/

With Emulation you really dont need need an actual n64 cartridge, just the information.

Emulators are very popular with gamers now a days. It lets us play old games on our PC/DC/Xbox that are just sitting there collecting dust in are basements.

Young_Fledgling
06-28-2002, 10:29 AM
hmmm very cool... but is there any chance this could really mess up our xbox?

EHWfedPres
06-28-2002, 10:50 AM
I didnt understand that at all...but I have a Wrestlemania 2k rom...and it's like 30some megs...and its really slow.

Young_Fledgling
06-28-2002, 10:52 AM
ugh.. to explain it for you...

they are basically trying to make n64 games work on the xbox... like fixing texture patterns and stuff like that... MAKING IT SO THE GAME LOOKS NORMAL... so now u may be able to play n64 games on ur xbox... :D

EHWfedPres
06-28-2002, 10:54 AM
oh, cool. We'd have a hell of a time cramming a cratridge in the cd tray tho...:D

Snoopy7548
06-28-2002, 11:46 AM
hahaha. he would make a program for the xbox i think, and you would just burn the roms on a cd-r and play them. lol. but obviously you would need a modchip for this

Scarlet Spider
06-28-2002, 11:57 AM
dont you need the XBOXDK to do that?? i think i read something about it on xboxhackz

JJaX
06-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Scarlet Spider
dont you need the XBOXDK to do that?? i think i read something about it on xboxhackz

Or a Mod Chip