PDA

View Full Version : My Xbox broke in a strange way, anyone else have this problem?

Spyre
06-28-2002, 09:34 PM
Forgive my first post if this is in the wrong forum or something.

So my XBox broke, but it did so the first time I played Morrowind on it. Now I know that most people play that game without damage. But while creating my character the list of choices failed to load fully. The game wouldn't play and I had to turn it off. Same thing the second time. Now no other game will play right. half the time the Box tells me that it can't read the disc, all my discs, even dvds. Sometimes they play but always have loading problems. I hear the lens moving constantly. I did delete the Morrowind file on the HD thinking it was something like what some people had with DOA3 where save files would mess up other games. No such luck. Oddly, the longer the Xbox would stay turned off for then the longer I could get play out of it before it would fail to load again. I called MS tech support and they had me format the HD, no more saves, all Halo characters gone :mad: . Nothing was fixed. Now unless one of you knows better how to fix it then the xbox is off to the hospital. What I really want to know is has anyone heard of something like this? Was it a bad copy of Morrowind writing to the HD where it shouldn't or did the Xbox just plain break the first time I played the game? Has anyone heard of this before?

wweomaniac
06-28-2002, 09:58 PM
OMG! this is like the fifth time I've heard this in a week or so... why does it keep on happening? Maybe it's not morrowind that caused it int he first place. I can't help you... but once again, I suggest you buy a new XBXO and bring the old one back to the store in the new box. They won't suspect a thing. Just say your games wouldn't load.

FpS_PhReeK
06-28-2002, 10:39 PM
And still no word from M$... Is this a wide spread problem related to hardware or is it cheap DVD's or bad programing.... All I know is mines is busted... a lot of peoples is busted.... you all who are fine better pray that yours doesn't bust... lol really bad grammer... I am trying to be light hearted in a situation that makes me want to toss my Xbox in the garbage.

DBXNY
06-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Spyre
...I called MS tech support and they had me format the HD, no more saves...

How did you format the HD?

FpS_PhReeK
06-28-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by DBXNY

How did you format the HD?

You need to go to your dashboard,,, select "system info" a screen where there is a bunch of info scrolling,, then using your left joystick you hit, up, right, Y,Y and it reformats your harddrive.... erases everything...

btw it did not fix my system but I lost all of my PGR, RSC, THPS3, and OLG saves,,, thanks M$!

Young_Fledgling
06-28-2002, 11:13 PM
ya i am getting really freaked out... so many people are having problems lately... MAYBE IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!!! :eek:

Integra Man
06-28-2002, 11:16 PM
do you guys think xbox is falling apart day by day. i really hope not.:mad:

Scarlet Spider
06-28-2002, 11:38 PM
uuuuumm, if you where smart, you would have went out and bought a memo card b4 you formated, DUH!!

Lazarus
06-28-2002, 11:49 PM
This scares me,..I have Morrowind and DOA3 both- if I get a problem like this- Im gonna sell my Xbox and get a PS2. Thats an absolute promise. Right now as it is- they are many more games on Xbox that I want in the future- but Im not going to put my money back into it if it breaks.

Scarlet spidey- ease up- its not about intelligence at all- its about money- i can tell everyone all day "Why didnt you just buy another Xbox, duh"- but thats not very logisitcally sound is it?

Highlite23
06-28-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Scarlet Spider
uuuuumm, if you where smart, you would have went out and bought a memo card b4 you formated, DUH!!

You read my mind.

Lazarus
06-29-2002, 12:07 AM
high lite did you read what I wrote? is it just me or is the site being overrun with immature a$$holes. We have all got to settle our mouths- every forum Ive read tonight involves people disarming someone else's opinion brutally. I dont take those replies seriously- its just a mechanism of anger. REMEMBER: These companys do not care about us. THEY JUST WANT OUR MONEY- WE GOT TO START LISTENING TO ONE ANOTHER AND TAKING EVERYONE'S OPINION INTO CONSIDERATION.

MerimacHamwich
06-29-2002, 12:23 AM
Hmm if it says it cannot read the disk for everygame you own then maybe, just maybe... YOU HAVE A DIRTY LASER LENS! My first XBOX had a faulty laser so we took it back got a new one and BAM no more problems. First we took back halo becuase it was the only game we had and got a new copy but it didnt help so we took back the xbox and we havent had problems since. Once again it is just a matter of using logic. Why doesn't anyone on these forums use their mind and THINK!

MerimacHamwich
06-29-2002, 12:30 AM
BTW most of these xbox problems are due to incompetent fools. Some may be due to hardware failure but I have heard of way more feasable and realistic problems with poeples PS2's than Xbox problems. Oh yeah and how about thinking about who these poeple who claim to have faulty xboxes are hey? Take for instance this person. First post in XBA and he claims his/her xbox is broken, Fan Boy of another system... Highly probable. Ofcourse they could be really actually having problems but that can be expected with any hardware release. Just do what your xbox manual says and you will be fine. Like I said time after time, "Nobody seems to use their brains these days!";)

FpS_PhReeK
06-29-2002, 11:59 AM
A letter to MerimacHamwich,

Why doesn't anyone on these forums use their mind and THINK!

All of us THINK we just do not do it outloud like some sort of disrespectful A$$.

Thanks MR. Obvious for your 2 cents.... try to lighten up,,, were you on the Xbox development team??? If not you really shouldn't defend the product so viamently when it seems to be failing to meet so many peoples expectations... and and and more importantly M$ teksupport is doing nothing in the way of helping people with problems... you love your box have no problems, stroll your A$$ out of this thread.

I can see your point about the 1st post complaints,,, but think about it and do not try to add some nefarious intention... This is a Xbox community forum, when people have problems they come here asking for support and advice. I have done the same thing with my car, and digital camera... I go to a forum I say hi I am new, and I tell them my problem. Does that make me a bad person? Luckily I am spared such idiotic suggestions because I have been in this forum since launch, November 2001, so back on up.

About your taking your Xbox back to the store,,,, great glad it worked for ya, I hope that you have no more peoblems.... but this is not a solution for people who bought their Xbox's some months ago and are 1. out of warranty, 2. do not have the ability ot retuurn it to the store leagally (the switheroony is fraudulent and can cost you up to one year in prison and $5,000), 3. M$ Tek support seems to want to make money rather than satisfied customers.

Once again it is just a matter of using logic.
Yes your intellect is dizzying...thank you for showing us all the path to logical a clear thougt. STFU!

BTW most of these xbox problems are due to incompetent fools. Just do what your xbox manual says and you will be fine.Oh yeah and how about thinking about who these poeple who claim to have faulty xboxes are they?

And I know that you were not talking to me on this... This kind of BLIND faith to the Xbox manual,,, it is not a religiuos text and I missed the section on what to do when you exchange a copy of a game 4 times because on dirty disk errors and M$ teksupport keeps vowing that it "is not the hardware, it is the software" and the game developer keeps saying "its the hardware, all the early Christmas Xbox's are lower quality".... I talked to M$ tek,,, they say you might have a dirty lens,,, go get a lens cleaner disk,,, I did it...used it... problems still there... M$ says lets reformat your HD... losing everything... did it,,, problem still there... meybe we need to send it in for repair,,, NOT FOR $75-$90,, $hit I rather exchange it for store credit at EB and get a new one... (this is my plan)

Originally posted by Scarlet Spider
uuuuumm, if you where smart, you would have went out and bought a memo card b4 you formated, DUH!
Another gem of knowledge and information... THE REASON I DID NOT GO BUY A MEM' CARD IS BECAUSE I DID NOT WANT TO THROW MONEY INTO A SINKING SHIP!

You all should try to be more sympathetic... who know your Xbox might break tomorrow then you will know how it feels when M$ turns their back on you. I just expect more from this forum community... next time try to stand beside your fellow members instead of kicking them when they are down...

Peace out.

Slacker
06-29-2002, 01:56 PM
Hmm if it says it cannot read the disk for everygame you own then maybe, just maybe... YOU HAVE A DIRTY LASER LENS! My first XBOX had a faulty laser so we took it back got a new one and BAM no more problems. First we took back halo becuase it was the only game we had and got a new copy but it didnt help so we took back the xbox and we havent had problems since. Once again it is just a matter of using logic. Why doesn't anyone on these forums use their mind and THINK!

I couldn't Agree MORE!! [B]CLEAN YOUR LENS!! BEFORE YOU TAKE IT BACK !!!!

Young_Fledgling
06-29-2002, 04:20 PM
ya try cleaning that lens... lens cleaners are pretty cheap and work very well.. i got one for christmas :D

EHWfedPres
06-29-2002, 04:23 PM
My Xbox hasnt had any (major) problems yet. Freezing...the usual. I just played Morrowind from like 12:30 until 5:00 and didnt have one problem at all. I actually reached level 56 :)

Rusted Gundam
06-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Im sick of hearing this crap. If your Xbox broke nothing over the internet can fix it. Why dont you stop being a dumbass and work the system like it should. I mean I had my Xbox since X-Mas, nothing bad has happened to it.... 0w0e9eie like the smart people said...... Clean Lense if it says cant read the CD.

Spyre
06-29-2002, 10:17 PM
I was looking for people to tell me if their machines had similar problems. I was not expecting to download a patch or something, I was not looking for an internet solution. Some people seggesting that the lens is dirty, you people were thinking, thank you. I just wanted to know if this is a problem for others because my research could turn up no known issues of this. I did nothing funny to my system, only normal use and I get this problem. If I had pulled the case off and stuck a twinky in then I wouldn't be wondering about the problem.

First post in XBA and he claims his/her xbox is broken, Fan Boy of another system... Highly probable.
But wrong, thanks for the compassion. My friend works for XBA and suggested that I ask the other folks here if they knew anything. Shame, second post and I'm defending my self already. Shame, so much fighting just in this one thread.

kornavs19
06-30-2002, 11:54 AM
i think they did this on purpose.... Build a messed up system so people keep buying more.... Hey, it will bring up the sales..... Im j/k.:)

Spyre
06-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Lens cleaner didn't work. All I'm curious about is if this has happened to other people, where the discs are sometimes read and often not? Looks like I'm going have to pay the $100 to fix it, not happy about that.

l33t 4n0nZ
06-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Com'on let this topic die already.

Slamming J
06-30-2002, 07:41 PM
Spyre,

I too have just recently experienced problems with my Xbox. I'm still not sure what exactly is wrong with it, but it has a problem loading games and reading them...so I assume it's the lens. However, I have cleaned the lens multiple times and it has done NOTHING! :(
Oh also, it is making weird grinding sounds...

Anyway, so it looks like I have to either:
a) get a brand new one
b) send it in and repair it, but I've heard bad things about Microsoft's repairing department
c) Tell them I have one of the systems from the first bad batch (which it looks like I do, from hearing what the first bad batch did) and try to get a new one sent to me. But I don't know if I'll be able to do that.

So if C fails, I'll probably just do A...might as well drop the 300 bucks for a brand new one instead of paying 200 for possibly getting it fixed by Microsoft (since, like I said, I've heard bad things about the repairing department). Better safe then sorry. :D

Whisper
07-02-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by FpS_PhReeK

You need to go to your dashboard,,, select "system info" a screen where there is a bunch of info scrolling,, then using your left joystick you hit, up, right, Y,Y and it reformats your harddrive.... erases everything...

btw it did not fix my system but I lost all of my PGR, RSC, THPS3, and OLG saves,,, thanks M$!

Does not work... tryed to format mine because im having freeze problems on NHL 2002

Spaztic
07-02-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k

Does not work... tryed to format mine because im having freeze problems on NHL 2002

you have to do that code while humping the back of your xbox....I tried it and it worked fine!

Gamegirl
07-02-2002, 01:34 PM
I'll give you a girls standpoint on it a potential fix. Unplug your Xbox for about 20 minutes. Including all cables ,power cord and dvd playback, controllers,etc.

2. Don't use a laser lens cleaner. My uncle knows alot about electronics and he says their very abrasive on the lens cap.

3. power is not completely drained from the box unless it's unplugged. I would even unplug it until the clock resets itself.

4. All Xbox's are different. All Xbox's have different codes to input on the sys info screen. Call Microsoft, give them your serial # and they'll give you the code.

All this info is courtesy of my uncle , which also happens to have an Xbox. He says hello as I type what he is saying to me. I hope this helps. Good Luck:)

FpS_PhReeK
07-02-2002, 03:13 PM

Call Xbox support they have a few different codes depending on your serial number... 1-800-4My-(BROKEN)Xbox