PDA

View Full Version : Xbox is screwed...

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 05:53 PM
Man, my xbox is screwed up. Ever since I downloaded some songs on the hard drive (Which i did with three other CDs a while before hand) a couple of weeks ago, I have hardly been able to play anything! It freezes up during gameplay and loading/saving, then even at one point while my bro was playing a game something strange happened...the computer is right by the xbox, and while my bro was playing SSX Tricky I got up from the computer and as soon as my foot hit the ground the whole screen turned black with just this blue box in the center of the screen with cheap text saying "There is a problem with the disc you are using. It may be dirty or damaged." And this appeared while he was half way through a race, not loading or saving a game! I have included a pic showing you what it looked like.

ALSO, I can't listen to music from a CD! It'll start skipping tracks for no reason at all! Even if it's half way through a song, ten seconds into the song, or it will even skip a track all together at times!

I called tech support and first they told me to reformat the harddrive, and if that didn't work then get a DVD lens head cleaner. So I reformated the harddrive, that didn't work...I then tried cleaning the lens and that didn't work either! It actually skips tracks on the cleaner!! I may have to send it in to get it fixed for 150 bucks (CDN) plus shipping!

Anyway, I was wondering, have any of you guys had this problem or anything close to it? If so, what did you do? This is SO frustrating. :mad:

Thanks so much in advance! It's really appreciated!
Josh

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 06:05 PM
That really a picture of your tv?
looks like a big button, made in photoshop or summit.

Not that im saying i dont believe you.
but no, i have not had any probs with my xbox..
can't think of anything that may be causing your problem. Only thing i can think of is that the lens has moved or something, which would be very strange. an saying that many people seem to be having big problems lately with there Xbox.........
Have you been playing morrowind at all?

:D

Justin
06-29-2002, 06:14 PM
I somehow don't believe that Microsoft is evil enough to put the blue screen on the xbox ....and the "screenshot" does look very...fake.

.::Justin::.

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 06:18 PM
I swear, I took it on my TV. If I really wanted to make a fake one, don't you think I would try to make it look more like the Xbox dashboard so I could convice people it's real?

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 06:25 PM
I’m not saying it's fake… :D
On saying that, what did you use to take the pic? And how did you find whatever you used in the dark?
No seriously, I would send it off to MS and let them sort it, or if you can, take it back to the store
Also could you post a better pic of the screen?

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 06:36 PM
I took it with my digital camera (if you want to be specific, my Sony Cyber-shot... model DSC-F55). And actually, it wasn't that dark. I took the picture close to the screen so you can read the text, I figured you wouldn't be able to read it from far back. But now I wish I did take it far back, so you can tell it was on my TV. :(

All I did with the picture was take it, then upload it to the computer, then post it here. That's it. I didn't touch a thing.

As for other screens....I just took the one. Man...I was so stupid, I should have took more. That way you guys wouldn't have any problems believing me. :(

chili325
06-29-2002, 06:37 PM
Im gettin so freaked out cuz of all these boxes breaking so suddenly. I hope its not inevitable.

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Relax, I aint saying I don’t believe your problem, but merely stating the pic looks ODD
I mean, you say you took the picture close up? Well thing is, its not that close, I mean there is inches of black around that screen, for what looks like a 28/32 inch screen. You got the much plastic around it?

So like I said before, if you have warranty use it, if you can take it back to the store, do it, if not let MS sort it for you, unless the problem resolves itself

But which ever you choose, good luck

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Well, it's a 32 inch tv. The blue box was real small and was dead center of the screen, which is why there is lots of black surrounding it.

As for warranty...I got it on launch day so my 90 days are up. :\

POD13259
06-29-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by chili325
Im gettin so freaked out cuz of all these boxes breaking so suddenly. I hope its not inevitable.

Yeah, me neither, 'cause then you basically spent $300 to watch something freeze. If you really want to watch something freeze, stick your little brother/sister's head in the freezer. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

@SlammingJ: Didn't want to pay for the extended warranty?

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I know, I'm cheap. I have never had any problems with any of my systems (And I have basically every one that has been released)...so I didn't think I would really need it. Man how I wish I did get it. ...

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 08:49 PM
he got the blue screen of death!!! lol, sorry if i "offend" you, but that pic is fake dude. the xbox does not do that when it has a dirty disc. it goes back to the dashboard. it doesnt have a blue screen or anything like it. :mad:

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 09:03 PM
blah, guys...just forget this topic. I know blue shouldn't be on the Xbox...but believe it or not it came up on mine. I started this topic to hopefully get help so I may be able to play my beloved Xbox again without dropping the 150 bucks plus shipping. Not to get falsely accused of doing something.

I love my xbox...I have four controllers, have owned 13 games for it, and play(ed) it the most out of all of my next generation console. I wouldn't dare make this up about my console. Like it or not, my Xbox is screwed and the blue screen came up. I have gotten the one where it takes you back to the dashboard, but for some reason it didn't this time. I can see why you are having problems believing it, I would too. But this seriously happened.
The disc wasn't dirty or damaged, so I think it is safe to assume my Xbox is toast and I need another one. :(

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Didn’t you say it was near your PC..
Maybe ya PC and Xbox are playing a sick trick on ya..

I don’t think people believe you are lying, but rather that the pic looks ODD

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 09:14 PM
i highly doubt its real, cause u can see that it is all black around the box. and if he took a pic of his tv, you would definitely see the plastic of the tv. no plastic on any tv is THAT black, to blend in with the background of the picture.

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Slamming J
I called tech support and first they told me to reformat the harddrive, and if that didn't work then get a DVD lens head cleaner. So I reformated the harddrive, that didn't work

now i know its fake! how did you reformat the harddrive dude?? in order to do that, you have to download a program on your pc and hook your xbox up to the pc. i highly doubt you had the right equipment, and that tech support even knew about this program (on xboxhacker.net). and also, if you reformatted the harddrive, how would you keep the necessary files, or get them back on? the xbox comes preloaded with NECESSARY files (dashboard, OS files, system files, etc.), and you would be deleting all of them. the xbox doesnt just magically get them back. you would need a cd with those files. and im 100% sure you dont have it. so, i dont believe you. i think its time to say: ooooooh! Slamming J just got SHUTDOWN!!!!!!!:)

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 09:19 PM
LOL
Snoopy, i may be wrong, but i think the tech support, give you some type of button combo

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548

now i know its fake! how did you reformat the harddrive dude?? in order to do that, you have to download a program on your pc and hook your xbox up to the pc. i highly doubt you had the right equipment, and that tech support even knew about this program (on xboxhacker.net). and also, if you reformatted the harddrive, how would you keep the necessary files, or get them back on? the xbox comes preloaded with NECESSARY files (dashboard, OS files, system files, etc.), and you would be deleting all of them. the xbox doesnt just magically get them back. you would need a cd with those files. and im 100% sure you dont have it. so, i dont believe you. i think its time to say: ooooooh! Slamming J just got SHUTDOWN!!!!!!!:)

heh heh, this is when I get to shoot you, Snoopy, down. Where the crap did you read any of that junk about hooking it up to the pc?

I can tell you how to reformat it, but you make me a deal. I'll post it here for everyone to see me, you can go try it out (don't worry, there is a confirmation screen that you can hit "no" to stop it from reformatting), and then you believe I had this problem and the blue screen came up. Deal?

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 09:21 PM
lol. i doubt theres a button combo that reformats the harddrive. if there was, someone would have found out by now. christ man, you couldnt let me have the satisfaction of shutting him down? lol

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 09:21 PM

heh heh, this is when I get to shoot you Snoopy down. Where the crap did you read any of that junk about hooking it up to the pc?

I can tell you how to reformat it, but you make me a deal. I'll post it here for everyone to see me, you can go try it out (don't worry, there is a confirmation screen that you can hit "no" to stop it from reformatting), and then you believe I had this problem and the blue screen came up. Deal?

yea, its a deal! punk! lol:D :)

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 09:23 PM
lol. i doubt theres a button combo that reformats the harddrive. if there was, someone would have found out by now. christ man, you couldnt let me have the satisfaction of shutting him down? lol

Sorry lol
but i think its somthing like UP, LEFT, YY
somthing like that
*CM RUNS OFF, SO SNOOPS DONT GET MAD*

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 09:25 PM
you betta run!!!!! im'a get you sucka!! lol

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Alright, turn on your xbox without a disk. Go to "Settings" then at the very bottom go to "System info." You should have a screen up saying all the copyright crap. While this is up, hit the following:
Y, down, left, left, Y

Note: when it says "down, left, left" you have to do it with the left joystick.

You'll get a screen saying "All saved games and soundtracks will be erased. Do you want to continue?" If you hit No, nothing will happen and you will be fine. If you hit Yes, then it'll take quite a while to do, but once it is all done it'll restart the Xbox and act like you just bought it. Asking for your language, time zone, etc.

And this is when I get to say.... Snoopy got SHUTDOWN!!! ;)

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 09:28 PM
Oh, and note, if you made a mistake doing the code, just exit out of "System Info" by hitting B, then go back in and try again.

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 09:30 PM
Alright, turn on your xbox without a disk. Go to "Settings" then at the very bottom go to "System info." You should have a screen up saying all the copyright crap. While this is up, hit the following:
Y, down, left, left, Y

Note: when it says "down, left, left" you have to do it with the left joystick.

You'll get a screen saying "All saved games and soundtracks will be erased. Do you want to continue?" If you hit No, nothing will happen and you will be fine. If you hit Yes, then it'll take quite a while to do, but once it is all done it'll restart the Xbox and act like you just bought it. Asking for your language, time zone, etc.

And this is when I get to say.... Snoopy got SHUTDOWN!!! ;)

lol, i dont wanna try it, cause ill probly hit Yes by mistake. but i believe you. im still a little doubtful on that blue screen though, but i believe you about the reformatting now. lol. oooooh, Snoopy just got SHUTDOWN!!!! haha:D :)

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 09:33 PM

lol, i dont wanna try it, cause ill probly hit Yes by mistake. but i believe you. im still a little doubtful on that blue screen though, but i believe you about the reformatting now. lol. oooooh, Snoopy just got SHUTDOWN!!!! haha:D :)

Snoops, I think you should say something like

“SHEESH AND CM, YOU ARE SO GOD DAM GOOD”

LOL

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 09:35 PM
sheesh, and CM, you are not as good as me dude. im sorry, but it just will never happen. i am, and will always be, the best! cause im simply the best!! do do do do doooo. lol, i love that song, hah

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 09:37 PM
LOL
its nice when im right though

what song..
the ya do ron ron ron, you do ron ron..
lol

Slamming J
06-29-2002, 09:38 PM

Yeah, I would have a hard time believing it too, a blue screen on the Xbox...I still can't believe it happened, it was really weird.

But thanks though, I appreciate you are starting to believe me. :)

Snoopy7548
06-29-2002, 09:39 PM
hahh. no, the song where she sings: "youre simply the best!" lol.

CodeMonkey
06-29-2002, 09:41 PM
hahh. no, the song where she sings: "youre simply the best!" lol.

Do u think so? hey Snoops thanks
i have a follower

lol
Hey slam j..
i hope u get your problem sorted out

Scarlet Spider
06-29-2002, 11:33 PM
HEY! ITs SLAMMING J!! from Xbox Xtreme!! its me Twisted J:) how ya doin??!!

kokanee_crisis
06-30-2002, 02:59 AM
Was anyone else around here in November, before the xbox launch? Well, if you were you'd remember a little picture that was floating around in a bunch of little fanboy's sweaty hands with the purpose of poking fun at the xbox and at Microsoft's infamous blue screen. Needless to say, some of us have seen this picture before only this clown has recently tracked it down and decided to go through a lot of trouble to have a little fun. I think he came over hear after the folks at the teamxbox forums decided not to buy his story.

Also, everyone out there go and grab your cameras and take a picture really close to your TV. You'll notice a little phenomenon that happens all the time with a camera like the one Bozo said he was using. I don't wanna give it away because we have to have some fun around here.

Hmm, I tried the reformatting thing but it didn't work. Either I'm a retard who can't hit buttons or you're just lucky that everyone around here is too darn worried about losing their harddrive info to try it our.

Slamming J
06-30-2002, 08:29 AM
I saw some screens too before hand. It was just errors that came up on your computer, and then people edited them to make it look like it could have been an Xbox screen. However, I never saw anything like the one that came up on my screen (or blue for that matter), if I did I would have remembered it right away.

As for reformatting your hard drive, try again. It's "Y, down, left, left, Y". But when I say down, don't push it down like it button, actually push it in the direction down. :)

Oh, and hi Scarlet Spider! :D

Mr Blonde
06-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Fwiw the reformat button combos are different for each box.

An error screen can look like anything as I suspect the error was caught and dealt with by the software on the disc and not the xbox itself, which displays a black and green screen.

Slamming J
06-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Just an update...It came up again! I took a lot of pictures this time around, so I will show you guys once I have them all (including the movie) uploaded to my computer.

Then all the doubters can say they are sorry and Slamming J was right all along. :D

CodeMonkey
06-30-2002, 09:42 AM
Just an update...It came up again! I took a lot of pictures this time around, so I will show you guys once I have them all (including the movie) uploaded to my computer.

Then all the doubters can say they are sorry and Slamming J was right all along. :D

You seem to be more concerned about the picture, then you do about getting your Xbox fixed..

Like I said, I don’t think people doubt what you are saying, but rather that the picture is fake, as I am one of them.
If you can post better pictures, then that’s great. Also If the problem is as serious as it seems, I highly doubt people on these boards will be able to sort it out for you..

have you tried it with a dvd in? if not try it out...

masterchief2064
06-30-2002, 09:59 AM
I tried to reformatt my hard drive like slammin J said but it didnt work, i put Y, down, left, left, Y and yes I did it with the analog stick

Slamming J
06-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Sorry about reformatting...I guess it ends up it's a different code with each Xbox. :\

Anyway, I'm going to post the pics of the screen that came up on my Xbox. And this time you can tell it was on my TV and I didn't make it up.

So here's three pics...

Slamming J
06-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Here's two more...

Snoopy7548
06-30-2002, 11:50 AM
that guy next to the xbox looks funny, lol.

(¯`·._)
06-30-2002, 01:25 PM
lol i always believed you Slamming:eek: hope u get it fixed soon!

WynnFire
07-01-2002, 12:03 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but, if you look at the pictures you don't actually see the Xbox connected to the TV. You see the Xbox on and some stuff under the TV but not connected to the TV.

Plus, on another Forum the exact same problem is posted almost word for word but for the PS2 and not the Xbox. If you're telling the truth, show pics of the Xbox actually into the TV or something else proving that it is the Xbox and not a PS2 or something.

Toonz
07-01-2002, 12:28 AM
lol you are pathetic wynnfire. Lets see you take a picture of your Xbox running on your TV + I wannna see it hooked up + Plus I wanna see the power cable running into the wall + Can you make your case translucent so I can see you actually have a game in it and all in 1 single shot. Sheeesh his pics are pretty good. Nothing would convince you dude. He didn't bash it but rather was looking for help.

WynnFire
07-01-2002, 12:57 AM
Hey, I'm only stating the Facts. That's it! :confused:

UnitedKingdom
07-01-2002, 09:34 AM
I think the only way you can make people shut up is if you make a video of it Slamming J. Show the blue screen and then show what happens when you press the power button.

Slamming J
07-01-2002, 09:41 AM
I made a video for it when it came up again, but I never turned off the power. But besides, I can't attach it here because it's too big of a file.
If someone is willing to put the video up on their website and link it here, I will try to make it come up again and make a video of me turning off the power. However I am not going to try if no one will host it. :)

I think I found out most information from asking other people about my problem, so I don't really need loads of help anymore (but if anyone does feel like mentioning extra tips, feel free to). But if people really want to see it, again, I can try to make it come up again, it shouldn't be a problem. But I really don't need to prove anything anymore...

Justin
07-02-2002, 02:29 PM
hmmWynn, you think like me :) I also wanted to see everything connected..once I saw the pictures I thought that they could be not connected =P..anyway I have a site I could upload it to if you guys wish...just PM me or something
Email:Justin20xx@sonicstrike.net
AIM/AOL:Ju5tin 4 13

Whichever works for you, maybe you can prove us non believers wrong :)

.::Justin::.

Calve
07-03-2002, 12:14 AM
man u guys are pathetic!!! every system has odd problems!!! be happy that xbox doesnt have many but can't atleast accept one...hol ****e

Peace