PDA

View Full Version : DVD Playback

bigcurty
07-01-2002, 09:54 AM
I have the DVD playback kit and I was kinda ****ed cuz I had bought 3 DVD's to use on it and none of them worked. I could see the picture but it was garbled pretty bad. I foudn out I can't run it through my VCR. But for something reason the first time I used the DVD playback it worked while hooke dup through my VCR when I rented Black Hawk Down from Blockbuster. I seriously do no understand what happened or why this worked?

No Fear 23
07-01-2002, 09:59 AM
maybe those dvd movies dont have that globe logo with the number 1 on it. its the only movies that xbox dvd kit can play. maybe u should read the intructions first to see what you are missing.

bigcurty
07-01-2002, 10:05 AM
Yeah I saw that in the instructions when I got the DVD playback kit. You need a DVD with a globe with a 1 in the middloe of it. All of my DVDs have that. But I hear that no DVD should work through your Xbox unless it is directly connected to TV. Because if you ran i through your VCR you could tape the DVD and get the movie for free. Microsoft knew this and made it so that you need a direct connection between the two.......

Magnum Blast
07-01-2002, 10:22 AM
Well if you don't have a way to hook the regular cables up to the TV without going through the VCR then you have 2 options if you want to watch good quality movies with the Xbox. You could buy a new TV that lets you hook the Xbox up to it directly or you could by an RF unit and run the Xbox into you TV through the cable line. I would recomend the new TV approach though because then you could get S video or Component and get the best image possible for your movies and games.

DBXNY
07-01-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by bigcurty
I have the DVD playback kit and I was kinda ****ed cuz I had bought 3 DVD's to use on it and none of them worked. I could see the picture but it was garbled pretty bad. I foudn out I can't run it through my VCR. But for something reason the first time I used the DVD playback it worked while hooke dup through my VCR when I rented Black Hawk Down from Blockbuster. I seriously do no understand what happened or why this worked?

The region coding thing isn't the problem though. If it was, you wouldn't get any picture at all when playing any dvd that isn't region 1 or non-region coded. Your issue is Macrovision. Most movies enable it, a few don't. That copy of Black Hawk Down was one of the exceptions.

You would have the same problem with any DVD player purchased in the United States. You need to get an RF adapter and plug the X-box directly to the TV, as Magnum suggested. However, I agree more with getting a new TV because, by using an RF adapter, you're pretty much downgrading the picture and sound to VHS quality.

Spaztic
07-01-2002, 02:44 PM
macrovision shouldn't be scrambling up the movie to the point of not watching it....I have my xbox hooked up though the vcr and I rented black hawk down it played fine....though the picture faded in and out (macrovision)....

EHWfedPres
07-01-2002, 02:59 PM
I watch dvd's all the time and have NO problems...but did I mention I watch them on a DVD PLAYER? yeah, the thing that DVD's were MEANT TO BE PLAYED ON?

Spaztic
07-01-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I watch dvd's all the time and have NO problems...but did I mention I watch them on a DVD PLAYER? yeah, the thing that DVD's were MEANT TO BE PLAYED ON?

thanks for sharing!.....DVDS WERE MEANT TO BE PLAYED ON THE XBOX AS WELL, HENCE THE DVD PLAYBACK KIT!

DBXNY
07-01-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
macrovision shouldn't be scrambling up the movie to the point of not watching it....I have my xbox hooked up though the vcr and I rented black hawk down it played fine....though the picture faded in and out (macrovision)....

Man, Macrovision can and/or will cause all the problems you just mentioned. Whether it is fading the picture in and out, or scrambling it "to the point of not watching it". It can be one or the other or both. Thanks for clarifying about Black Hawk Down, because I was a bit sceptical that it was Macrovision-free as most big-labeled discs aren't.

EHWfedPres
07-01-2002, 03:20 PM
The main purpose of the Xbox is to play video games...just like a dvd player, right? :rolleyes:

DBXNY
07-01-2002, 03:24 PM
The main purpose of the Xbox is to play video games...just like a dvd player, right? :rolleyes:

I don't understand the point of you guys argument. EHWfedPres, even if you connected your standalone player through a VCR, you'd have the same problems. Even the same issues mentioned above apply regarding using a RF adapter.

EHWfedPres
07-01-2002, 03:31 PM
My point is that if you want to watch dvd;s, buy a dvd player. Thats what they were meant for, not a video game console. of course there will be problems.

Spaztic
07-01-2002, 03:43 PM
now if I have the record button on my vcr it will scramble the sig to were it will be unwatchable....try turning you vcr off!

DBXNY
07-01-2002, 04:04 PM
My point is that if you want to watch dvd;s, buy a dvd player. Thats what they were meant for, not a video game console. of course there will be problems.

So, would you say that since a DVD player is meant for watching DVDs, it should be expected to have problems playing CDs? If they built the functionality into the machine, it should work with no problems. Nethertheless, the X-box does play DVDs very well with no problems uncommon to standalone DVD players. The poster's problems aren't a result of playing DVDs on a game console, they are a result in connecting it improperly. The same issues would arise with any standalone dvd player sold in the U.S.

Fixxer
07-01-2002, 11:14 PM

Sorry, but you have no ****in clue... You can't hook up a dvd player through a VCR because of macrovision. There isn't anything wrong with Xbox's playback. All dvd players have macrovision. Tho you can get some that have it disabled. I've had a dvd player for years, but xbox makes a great secondary unit, or main player if you don't have a stand alone one.