PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 10/100 Switch for online gaming

Hugh_Jass
07-01-2002, 11:11 AM
GIGAFAST 5 PORT 10/100 MINI SWITCH W/UPLINK

Get $20 back with the purchase of a GigaFast Ethernet 5 Port Switch. Limited time offer good 7/01/02 to 7/06/02!

$24.96 - $20 = $4.96 plus shipping

http://www.zones.com/cgi-bin/zones/site/product/index.html?id=91581

No Fear 23
07-01-2002, 11:17 AM
can u use that to play at xboxconnect.com?

Snake Eyez
07-01-2002, 12:14 PM
It should work to play online. I think that is part of the reason why he posted it here, so that people with swicth/hub/router questions have another cheap option.

Hugh_Jass
07-01-2002, 09:17 PM
This switch will serve you well regardless of which gaming portal you use.

Nerrad529
07-01-2002, 09:52 PM
Is that all you need cause I'am dying to play online? Xbox live isn't coming out for awhile.

Hugh_Jass
07-02-2002, 07:48 AM
No, there are cables to buy and your PC to configure. Do a search for several exhaustive discussions on this topic.

Spaztic
07-02-2002, 10:38 AM
whats the benefit of a switch vs. a hub?

Snoopy7548
07-02-2002, 10:39 AM
switch gives you 100% bandwidth for each port, and a hub divides it up. i think

Casper
07-02-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
switch gives you 100% bandwidth for each port, and a hub divides it up. i think

Good boy snoop...someone has been learning his stuff.

A switch is able to divide/allocate an even amount of bandwidth through all the ports (but this can be changed in the firmware). While on the other hand, they share bandwidth in between the ports.

Any other questions to test my newly acquired CCNA? ;) :cool:

OppiumNitrates
07-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by casper

Any other questions to test my newly acquired CCNA? ;) :cool:

is there anyway to set one of the ports to have more bandwith then others . . . or set 1 port with all the upload and not divide it. . . u know to reduce lag when im gaming, if no other computers r being used?

Casper
07-02-2002, 10:54 AM
There are settings in the router/switch's firmware that you can use to allocate bandwidth. Each hardware has different configurations, so it's difficult to give advice/walkthrough's on each one. I advice checking the help files or contacting the companies site to check out on the latest firmware updates. After you get that, you should be good to go.

OppiumNitrates
07-02-2002, 11:05 AM
i can get firmware form LinkSys (thats the router i have) and with the firmware i could, lets say . . . set the port my Xbox is connected to, to have all(or most of it anyway, im sure he computer im running still needs some) the upload and download speed form my cable modem???

but i cant do it from the router setup page????

Casper
07-02-2002, 11:11 AM
The router is different. You should be able to control the bandwidth in %% , like saying that your XBOX gets 100% and your PC will get 50% and the other ports are killed. If I can, I'll try and find out more about the Linksys, I have a cisco switch and router in my pad, so I don't know how their firmware works.

Also, as far as I know, you can't adjust anything in the config for the cable modem, but you can un-cap your connection...if you know where I'm coming from. ;)

OppiumNitrates
07-02-2002, 11:30 AM
i accualy did some research on uncapping and they have a way to make it so your provider has a "harder" time to catch u . . . but i dont think its worth losing my cable for. . . . . besides i was thinking maybe calling cablevision and asking them to increase my upload cauz i need video confencing at home . . . but i dont know if they r gunna go for that. . .

u know about un-capping . . . is it worth it??

how hard is it really to get caught, i dont think they would have a hard tme finding people who do it, but i dont really know

Hugh_Jass
07-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

is there anyway to set one of the ports to have more bandwith then others . . . or set 1 port with all the upload and not divide it. . . u know to reduce lag when im gaming, if no other computers r being used?

If no other computers are being used you automatically get all the bandwidth. But it's irrelevant because you can never put enough load on a hub to reduce performance on a lousy 1.5Mbps cablemodem connection.