PDA

View Full Version : 200,000$

xboxmaster2002
07-02-2002, 01:23 AM
somebody will award you 200,000US $ if you can find a successful and legal way to install linux on xbox...

http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=3397

khaos2005
07-02-2002, 01:39 AM
Nice find.

Spaztic
07-02-2002, 10:37 AM
to bad there isn't a "legal" way of doing this! The only way to run unsigned code at this point is to use a modchip which is "illegal". I could sure use the money though!

VAN
07-02-2002, 11:34 AM
You paid for the console...you own it...you can do whatever the heck you want. You can paint it. You can smash it with a hammer. You can fill it up with brussels sprouts. You can even install a new OS.

Of course it is LEGAL to install Linux. The ILLEGAL part is when you build a mod chip or other hardware altering device which allows you to play illegal copies of games or run illegal copies of software and attempt to sell it to the public in order to earn a profit.

I dont see how installing Linux on the box would be a problem...once it is made possible.

OppiumNitrates
07-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by VAN-XBA
You paid for the console...you own it...you can do whatever the heck you want. You can paint it. You can smash it with a hammer. You can fill it up with brussels sprouts. You can even install a new OS.

you can play Xbox games too ya know . . .

Xbox Owner
07-02-2002, 12:16 PM
lol, i wish i knew how, i i could use the cash, lol

Snoopy7548
07-02-2002, 12:27 PM
i wonder who the guy is. he must be rich though. what if its bill gates? lol. like hes probly trying to get other people to put linux on the xbox, instead of having microsoft do it. lol:D

Slacker
07-02-2002, 01:00 PM
I used to work for an online Mortgage company in SF , I worked in I.S. and it was my Job to make sure the servers were running , we ran NT servers , we Had one Linux server , it never crashed , I mean NEVER, there was a Console coming out that was Linux based I would choose a Linux OS for a console any day, you could leave it on 24/7 and play games 24/7 and it wouldn't even hicup,,,,,,,, if I could find a way to that , I would I hope someone does ,,

Frostberg
07-02-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by VAN-XBA

Not to self: Do not buy a preowned Xbox in Greenville, SC

l Maximus l
07-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg-XBA

Not to self: Do not buy a preowned Xbox in Greenville, SC

lol...I know...I halted a the brussel sprout comment :D Those things are from the devil :(

Gimpy Mcgee
07-02-2002, 09:47 PM
An anonymous donor has offered a $200,000 reward to a group of Xbox hardware hackers if they manage to port the Linux operating system to Microsoft's console before the end of the year. The reward, announced on the Xbox Linux Project page, is divided evenly between two separate goals: porting the free OS to an Xbox specially modified to run unauthorized software, then building a software hack that will let Linux run on the console without any hardware modifications.

If the project is successful, it will theoretically let anyone turn their Xbox into a regular personal computer, an enticing proposition considering that Microsoft's box includes a DVD player, hard disc, built-in broadband support, and more for the paltry price of $199. The only catch--technology from the project could also be used to play pirated Xbox games, a potential nightmare for Microsoft. The Xbox Linux Project is taking pains to be a completely legal outfit, refusing to use any of Microsoft's internal software, but it'll be interesting to see how the Xbox team will respond if the $200,000 ever actually gets awarded

"The reward, announced on the Xbox Linux Project page, is divided evenly between two separate goals: porting the free OS to an Xbox specially modified to run unauthorized software"

Um guys, thats a real bad thing.... Thats what killed DC
:mad:

halocombat4ever
07-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
somebody will award you 200,000US $ if you can find a successful and legal way to install linux on xbox...

http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=3397
i can do first pay me then i will show you