PDA

View Full Version : err...phone problems only UK help

Afro Aura
07-04-2002, 12:45 PM
Now I know this is a silly question but I don't now what's the difference between a DSL and a ADSL, I can't get cable and the only way to get on-line with the XBOX is through ADSL on a BT line, now I looked at the support fqa in the XBOX.com on the Uk side and what it said is that you need a cable or DSL to connect and I don't know what DSL stands for

can someone help me
:confused:

dave_m123
07-04-2002, 12:51 PM
I think ADSL is just wat it is called in Britain. In America it seems to be called DSL. Not entirely sure if theres a difference to be honest.

ShannonX
07-04-2002, 12:59 PM
there are several different types of DSL... ADSL and SDSL are a couple. Any DSL will work providing its fast enough. DSL is just the "short" name given to the DSL service.

CodeMonkey
07-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
there are several different types of DSL... ADSL and SDSL are a couple. Any DSL will work providing its fast enough. DSL is just the "short" name given to the DSL service.

Yeah bang on there
Just refers to different variations of DSL, such as ADSL, HDSL, and RADSL. UK we get ADSL and other area's get other names
all are capable of the same speeds because they use the same type of copper wire with a fibre backbone

:D

Afro Aura
07-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CodeMonkey

Yeah bang on there
Just refers to different variations of DSL, such as ADSL, HDSL, and RADSL. UK we get ADSL and other area's get other names
all are capable of the same speeds because they use the same type of copper wire with a fibre backbone

:D
aaarrgghhh tooooo much infooooo aarrgghh my head hurts LOL
so with this info should be able to get on-line with the XBOX with no problem
Now someone has told me Pure DSL is the best as it has the same download and upload where ADSL has the same download but has a diffrent upload so it may be slower going upload, so if this is the case will I have lag in some of the games? like I did playing PSO on the French side it was OK everwhere else but the French side all I got was lag, more lag and some more lag

By the way CodeMonkey and Dave m123 have you got cable or a BT line. If you've got a BT line and have had no problems with it, I'm sure there will be many people who want to play on-line through a BT line if they cannot get cable in there area

Like I said I can't get cable but I do have a satellite, is it possible to get DSL through a satellite?

man all the trouble I'm having here. I'm not jumping in there and paying my cash for broadband and have a system thats incompatible with "XBOX Live"
why don't Microsoft just bring out a manual with all the info on getting on-line in the UK
:confused: