PDA

View Full Version : ********Microsoft to show "new" Xbox in August!!!!!!**********

wweomaniac
07-04-2002, 06:17 PM
And applies pricing screwdrivers

By Mike Magee: Tuesday 02 July 2002, 09:57

A REPORT IN Taiwanese newspaper the Economic News said that Microsoft will unveil its intermediary Xbox games console at the Taipei International Computer Application exhibition in early August.
And the newspaper adds that Wistron will put together the new machines at a factory on the Chinese mainland.

Microsoft already uses Flectronic so Wistron, formerly the manufacturing arm of Acer, will be the second supplier.

The newsppaer adds that Microsoft is to adopt a different pricing model for the machine, using its Taiwanese suppliers to buy seasonally in order to give it an edge against both Sony and Nintendo.

It reports IDC stats that say the Playstation 2 has a 43 per cent share of the console market, selling 30 million units during the first four months of 2002, while Nintendo and Microsoft are slogging it out with 26 per cent and 28 per cent shares respectivelly.

The same report says Nintendo is joining the trend to outsource parts by seeking a partner to build parts cheaply for its Gamecube. Hon Hai has a lucrative contract with Sony to make Playstation 2s, it adds. ยต

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4206

VAN
07-04-2002, 06:32 PM
Not really a NEW Xbox, more like a CHEAPER Xbox. I think they are exploring ways to mfg the box at a cheaper price and are about to unveil a new unit...though functionally identical to the current one.

kinda like the PSone and Original PSX...ya know?

wweomaniac
07-04-2002, 06:51 PM
ahhhhhhhhh. I thought this was the XBox that everyone was talking about lately. The "XBOX 2" witht he 3 GHz CPU. Damn. Misinterpretation.

Scarlet Spider
07-04-2002, 11:44 PM
isnt it the xbox with tivo??

MOrgE
07-05-2002, 08:12 AM
so are we best to keep the old one or should it be upgraded to the new one??

i dont want games working fine on the new system and crashing on my old system... remember, they do program games with built-in hardware coding...
:confused:

Highlite23
07-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Well, whatever they do it better be a near flawless machine. You know as well as i do many XBOX owners will trade up or whatever, but if they have alot of problems with games on either unit afterwards, MS should just pack it in cause it will never survive the bad press.

I'm not wishing this, just making a point.

Hugh_Jass
07-05-2002, 12:17 PM
I won't be "upgrading". I already have an XBOX and a TiVo.

Nerrad529
07-05-2002, 04:56 PM
What the heck they might as well try to save some money. I bet it's exspensive to make an xbox.

Spaztic
07-05-2002, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if they also changed some things to make the modchips not work either!