PDA

View Full Version : Using Xbox with a POWER INVERTER in vehicle ?

Nick D
07-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Hello all. I need some help before I head out-of-town. I have a TV built in my vehicle and I would like to hook my Xbox to it. I have the RCA jacks so the picture is not the problem.

The question I have is if it is ok to power your Xbox using a power inverter. Perhaps some of you have tried this and can shed some light on the subject? I have a WHISTLER PP300AC Power Inverter. It says 300 watt continuous 600 watt peak dc to ac power inverter. That is pretty much it. It has two regular plug ins like you have in your home of course and the other end plugs into the cigeratte lighter. I believe the 300 watt continuous means that you can have to things plugged into this inverter as long as they do not require more than 300 watts total? The Xbox calls for 100 watts and 120 volts ac, 60 hz.

Anyway, if I knew what I was I talking about, I would not be asking.... Can anyone give me a heads up on what I need to check on before attempting this? Or perhaps some of you have done this and it works with no problem? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advacne, Nick

pounder
07-05-2002, 10:48 PM
your 300 watt may work..but ive heard the box really pulls in some juice..try it and see the worst that can happen is you fry your inverter..itll blow the fuse that is all..if it does..then get a 600 watt one..no biggy..later

Ground_Pounder
07-06-2002, 12:22 AM
it will work..

that's all I have to say on the subject... worse that can happen is you blow the fuse, but that won't happen if only Xbox is on a 300 watt inverter...

have fun! I loved it in my buddies truck ;)

chili325
07-06-2002, 07:59 AM
Thats pretty awesome. Do us all a favor and post pics of the system when ur done. I wanna see!

XBOX MSSC
07-06-2002, 08:54 AM
I have two 6" TVs in my car, and 300 watt doesn't work 1/2 the time. Sometimes I can get it to work, sometimes I can't.

So your best bet is 600. Hope I helped. :)

Hugh_Jass
07-06-2002, 02:33 PM
I'd be worried about scratching the discs or smashing the hard drive read heads against your platters when you hit bumps. The XBOX wasn't designed for travel.

Spaztic
07-06-2002, 03:30 PM
I just asked the same questions awhile back. I am actually going with the 300 watt inverter myself, shouldn't have a problem as long as the alternator is good enough to keep the battery charged!

whoadae
07-10-2002, 02:46 PM
I've done it with a 400 dc to ac converter. Ran the xbox and a 13" TV.

Ground_Pounder
07-10-2002, 07:05 PM
I'm picking up my 5.6" on friday, i'm not sure what power inverter size to use YET...

I've been told sooo many different things. I was told a 175 would do it, but now you guy's are saying a 300 sometimes cuts out...

What to do! I hate this! lol...

I can't wait to show this off at cruise night on sunday!

there's only one other car with a TV in town!

BTW... i've heard nothing but good things about Xbox running in a car, I havn't heard of one crapping out yet... I figure i'm gonna use my dreamcast for the first while just in case. Xbox games are too expensive to smash up! LOL...

Don't you all Love car audio ??? I'm gonna have some install pics soon.

Here's what I got:
Alpine 7862 Deck (AiNET compatilbe... big deal nowadays!)
Orion HCCA 250 G4 for my Bass, it powers two Alpine Type R 12's
Lanzar DCT tweets (if you don't have tweets yet, i REALLY recommend these! Probably Lanzar's only good product)
MB Quarts mid's in the dash
Boss REV-265 powering the front stage
Sony 6x9's (top of the line from last year... to other audio nuts, you know NOT to buy Sony, LOL)
Older Kenwood amp running my 6x9's
I've got some tricked out lighting too all over, nice amp rack as well as some custom dash work... all crammed into a slammed 88 Tercel (yes my tercel is lowered!!! No rims yet though, which SUCKS)
OH, and I almost forgot, my Boss 5.6" TV comes in on friday, that will be mounted on a pedastal on my dash, i'm gonna use an inverter on my Dreamcast for starters, and when my AUX in plug comes in from Alpine, i'll be set!