View Full Version : Get a load of this!

Cannibal Corpse
07-08-2002, 01:45 AM
http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20020708/pnr01.jpg

Full Link:

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20020708/pnr.htm

Hugh_Jass
07-08-2002, 07:59 AM
It's probably just another set of overpriced "DD 5.1" wireless headphones. Sony has a set that can be used by the XBOX, too.

1) If you want sound quality don't get wireless headphones.
2) Do you want TRUE Dolby Digital 5.1 or just some fancy sound mixing that gets translated to two speakers?

For the price of these headphones I bet you could buy an entry-level Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver and speakers.

That being said, I do think they look cool. :)

Dre
07-08-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

And thats probably THE strongest selling point of most electronics in the Japanese market.

l Maximus l
07-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
It's probably just another set of overpriced "DD 5.1" wireless headphones. Sony has a set that can be used by the XBOX, too.

1) If you want sound quality don't get wireless headphones.
2) Do you want TRUE Dolby Digital 5.1 or just some fancy sound mixing that gets translated to two speakers?

For the price of these headphones I bet you could buy an entry-level Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver and speakers.

I agree 100%...however, you must admit, Pioneer does do a pretty good job with audio regardless. I'm looking at a Pioneer Surround sound system right now (not this set up on this thread, of course). It's a box set...probably the best I've seen and a decent price. For $349.99, it features a 600-Watt Dolby Digital Receiver which includes a DTS Decoder..the only downside is that it only has one Toslink input. I was pretty impressed by this box set.

My other option was to go a little crazy and get a 600 Watt Yamaha Receiver (with Dolby and DTS) with 5.1 speakers by Velodyne...but, that would set me back $999.99...still, not a bad deal for what you get, but, that still is a little pricey considering that the room I use for my home theatre is the size of a standard den.

What do you think, Hugh?

DBXNY
07-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

I agree 100%...however, you must admit, Pioneer does do a pretty good job with audio regardless. I'm looking at a Pioneer Surround sound system right now (not this set up on this thread, of course). It's a box set...probably the best I've seen and a decent price. For $349.99, it features a 600-Watt Dolby Digital Receiver which includes a DTS Decoder..the only downside is that it only has one Toslink input. I was pretty impressed by this box set.

My other option was to go a little crazy and get a 600 Watt Yamaha Receiver (with Dolby and DTS) with 5.1 speakers by Velodyne...but, that would set me back $999.99...still, not a bad deal for what you get, but, that still is a little pricey considering that the room I use for my home theatre is the size of a standard den.

What do you think, Hugh?

If you could splurge the extra, I'd go for the Yamaha/Velodyne setup in a heartbeat over the Pioneer.

Hugh_Jass
07-08-2002, 07:08 PM

What do you think, Hugh?

Pioneer is a respectable name but they offer many different products for various price points. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Since the power of the systems is essentially equal, you know that the extra $650 is going toward the quality of sound. If you've got the extra money, Yamaha is definitely worth it. Think about it. For $1000 you are getting five speakers, a subwoofer, and a receiver. That's pretty darn good. That means they can allocate $100 per speaker/sub and still give you a $400 receiver. The Pioneer system probably consists of $30 speakers/sub and $170 receiver. While that system is better than nothing, you will notice the difference in quality.

ShannonX
07-08-2002, 10:12 PM
i cant recall where i saw them, but i'm almost positive i read about some headphones awhile back that had multiple speakers in each ear piece to acurately reproduce 4.1 or 5.1 or something like that...dont think they were wireless though... maybe i've been smoking something i shouldn't have been smoking.. =) j/k

Highlite23
07-09-2002, 08:40 AM

What do you think, Hugh?

Hey Max, if you want to drop me an e-mail i might be able to give you a couple of options on your DD 5.1, and maybe save you a little cash. I have something basic that will take care of the single toss-link problem. Hook you up through the bussiness and get the XBA discount.;) If your interested.