PDA

View Full Version : Lets be honesty DOA3 is a rehash

Devil May Cry
10-24-2001, 07:31 PM
That's right, DOA 3 is a rehash in a pretty new package.
If you can't see that, you're full of it. Even the
magazines have said the fighting engine is virtually
unchanged, and that my friends is the heart of a
game.

For all of you avid X-boxians who disagree, think of
the hypocrisy. A constant comment against the PS2
launch is that Tekken Tag was a rehash. I completely
agree. EVEN IF IT LOOKED WAY BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS
TEKKEN 3 ON THE ORIGINAL PLAYSTATION, IT WAS STILL
A TIRED FORMULA. Look, DOA has been virtually unchanged
since its initial appearance on the Playstation.
If you've never played a DOA, then you're in for a
treat, but if you've played them all like I have,
you'd better look elsewhere for your fighting needs.
Because the temporary ooh's of graphical power don't
last beyond a few minutes, and the substance is old
stuff.

And to show I'm not a hypocrite, I'm willing to say
that Tekken 4 is not the revolution I was hoping for.
The much vaunted dodge feature is not used as well as
its Soul Calibur counterpart and you're pretty much
left playing the same Tekken. Personally, if I was
an X-box fan, I'd be looking forward to Halo. DOA 3
is a souped-up rehash, Project Gotham is more of the
same, who cares about Amped when SSX Tricky is hitting
all systems, who cares about NFL Fever when Madden
2002 is hitting all systems, however Munch's Odysee
looks promising.

Now.... back to my MGS 2 anticipation stupor......

Xmun
10-24-2001, 07:38 PM
Sorry but.......................
http://redqueendesign.com/saimages/youlose.jpg

NEWS FLASH!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All games are rehashes in pretty new packages.

Been that way for years.

But please don't let something as silly as "logic" interfere in your "Trolling".

You could be on a roll.

Devil May Cry
10-24-2001, 07:41 PM
What do you call pikmin, blood wake, project ego, devil may cry, and brute force then?

Xmun
10-24-2001, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Devil May Cry
What do you call pikmin, blood wake, project ego, devil may cry, and brute force then?

All borrowed/rehashed concepts:
Pikmin = Lemmings (Better package old concept)
Blood Wake = Vehicular combat (Old genre)
Project Ego = Possibly something new. (Too early to tell.)
Devil May Cry = Same execution as Resident Evil/Onimusha/Dino Crisis etc....... (Capcom are the kings of rehash.)
Brute Force = Too little known. (But I would put my money on the little known FPS genre :p )

I really can't think of any truly original concepts out or slated on any console currently.

It's all just steps up in familliar territory.
Not that there is anything wrong with that. (They're still fun)

XBOX Dude
10-24-2001, 08:18 PM
Really the magzines said that, well maybe you should take a look at next gen, you know were the talk with the creator of the game and says the engine is totally new. and if you wanna talk about rehash man Devil May Cry reaks of it.

The Dark force has clouded your mind come back to the the light, come back to the light

SquirrelJam
10-24-2001, 10:36 PM
...try another title.

I'm also concerned about DoA3 not living up to the hype.

However, I'm hoping that UFC:Tapout -- Ultimate Fighting Championship, will offer something a little different.

Cage matches using Judo, Brawling, Wrestling and Submission fighting (with lots of blood) could just possibly offer something that floats your boat. I'm hoping so anyways.

I'll have to play it first before I lay down some scratch for it.

Bakero
10-24-2001, 10:50 PM
Xmun I don't think you played Devil May Cry yet, if you did you would't be saying that. ;)

Dan Livingston
10-24-2001, 11:38 PM
Hey.....

I've always noticed that and it's kinda ****ed me off. Not just DOA, but all fighting games. whenever I read a new Preveiw on a new high-profile fighting game, it says "3 new players!!! 3 new Levels!!!!" The 14 fighters from the last game, and the 12 levels from the last game come back. so in that sense, all fighting games are the same as the prequil. also, GT3 has only 2 new courses..... Don't the old races get old.....

AlBoogy
10-24-2001, 11:57 PM
Hey DMC good try but im not buying! For you newbies around here, DMC is a troll and he only comes here like once or twice a month to post something negative. Lets just say that a month ago he was gloating about a rumor that DOA3 was going to ps2 (in the ps magazine). So no one look at this troll. One minute "DOA3 is coming to ps2!" the next, "DOA3 is just a rehash"

Xmun
10-25-2001, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Bakero
Xmun I don't think you played Devil May Cry yet, if you did you would't be saying that. ;)

Actually I have.

And while it is fun.

It's the same "fun" formula Capcom has in all their games.
While it is has been refined somewhat.
It's still a cosmetic job to old school Capcom gameplay.

Plasticman
10-25-2001, 06:38 AM
ALL fighting games are rehashes! There's only 2 kinds, 2D and 3D.

You do the same moves in all of them. Kick, punch, throw...... fireball, laser eye, turbo kick, teleport, rocket punch, dragon punch, super dooper pooper kick(kills instantly), maggot fart, brainwash attack, pencil neck choke, howdoyoudoken, fineryo, chunlihasbigtits, giga flop, slam dance, chicken crawl, bazooka crotch kick, nipple pull, puke launch, butt hair pull, flying fungus flip, sumo power drop, crap slam, space throw, star smash fist, knob gobbler, ball pull, nugget slap, toe nail knocker, fists of crap, log throw, axe throw, cyber attack, speed demon, speed, wham bam thank-you m'am, cherry toss, porky pig, lardassian leg sweep, jack be nimble jack be quick jack got kicked in the dic* power kick, chinese torture rack, iron eagle, twisted sister, tears for fears, iron maiden, bum whip, toe bite, chewie chunga cheap chop, diaper rash, rug burn, 100 mile leg drop, turbo twist titties, flip flung flea flop, zipper snag, karate kink, opium death dive, psycho power dash, leg keg, mime slime, super suck, wood chuck, beaver tail, and the bonehead bash.

Did I miss any? Fighting games have only gotten better looking, and DOA 3 by far is the best looking fighter out there.

Bakero
10-25-2001, 08:11 AM
You know what I would like to see!! A new Killer Instinct!!! HYPER COMBO!! SUPER COMBO!! ULTIMATE COMBOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Fudge You that’s too many how did you learn that you stupid no life gamer 10 hours in the arcade a day your moms a whore and your dads' a dead beat if I had dollar I would give it to you so you will leave and eat 5hit and die COMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

l Maximus l
10-25-2001, 12:34 PM
Plasticman!!!!!! LOL!!!! That was hilarious!

You make an excellent point! The graphics in fighting games are what counts...

Personally, I'm looking forward to the New Mortal Kombat game...I realize MK4 was a flop, but, it was their first time in 3D...I think they will improve the new one with the power of the XBox. I just hope it is faster...and it should be.

DOA3 looks bad ass...Admittingly, I haven't played too much of it...just here and there...but, I plan on buying it. From what I have seen, the XBox version is going to be the best DOA ever! I just hope that DOA3 will have special moves with it's characters like MK does. I mean, they don't have to throw lighting or anything, I'm just talking about a nice and challenging special moves so everyone doesn't come across as a seasoned DOA3 fighting professional. In MK, it takes time to get good...From the little that I know about DOA3, I hope this is the same type of situation.

-Max

scarecrow kfj
10-25-2001, 12:40 PM
I will have it the 15th. I like that you can pretty much go anywhere on a board and use things around you not to mention drunken boxing..

Plasticman
10-25-2001, 06:13 PM
The only step that fighting games can make now is VR. I was never a fighting game fan, but I did enjoy the old SF games for the Snes.

Now, fighting games have become way too combo dependant. In many instances, I find myself dead without attempting a single move. Most fighters can get off a volley of combos through button smashing, and not skill. I feel cheated to own a game like this, which is why I don't buy them anymore. They're too cheap at times, and at times I find myself smashing my system with my fist in frustration(I have no patience for cheaters). So I steer clear of games such as these.

SquirrelJam
10-25-2001, 06:29 PM
Come to think of it, I'm not that crazy about memorizng a ton of button sequences either. I like the freedom in a game that offers more of an opportuntiy to improvise, meaning less is more. Take racing for instance. You got the gas, brake and steering. The rest is pure driving. You have to out drive your opponent, plain and simple. Your victory isn't determined by how quickly you can execute the numerous button sequence formulas you're required to remember.

Believe it or not, I do enjoy fighting games but I'll probably wait on this one and see how the community accepts it. Thanks for your insight, Plasticman.