PDA

View Full Version : Hands-on: Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions PS2

Ayanami III
07-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Hands-on: Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions PS2
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2873747,00.html

We check out the PlayStation 2 version of the Xbox vehicular action game.

more screens (25)
View the slideshow »
Screenshot Index »

Activision recently popped by with a very early build of Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions for the PlayStation 2. Released earlier this year for the Xbox, Wreckless is a mission-based action game that puts you behind the wheel of a car as the police or the Yakuza. The Xbox version featured arcade-style gameplay and impressive visuals that offered quite a bit of Xbox-specific special effects. When the game was announced for the PS2 a few months ago, there was a fair amount of skepticism as to whether or not Sony's hardware could do justice to the game. While still very early, the PS2 build of the game we saw showed quite a bit of promise and seemed to be well on its way to re-creating the Xbox version.
The PS2 conversion of Wreckless is being developed by UK-based Stealth Studios, and the developer is not content with simply porting the Xbox game to the PS2. All the content from the Xbox version will be on hand, but, responding to feedback on the original Wreckless, Stealth Studios will also be adding a few new features. You'll now find 40 single-player missions, 28 two-player head-to-head missions, more cars, secondary missions that will unlock cheats in the game, improved handling, and a free-roaming mode that will let you explore the cities without having to worry about a timer. In addition, you'll now find that you'll be able to mow down pedestrians with impunity. The game's control was still being tightened but still leaned toward the arcade feel of its Xbox cousin.

In terms of the game's graphics, the early build of the game we played let us check out the game's first police mission and try some two-player missions in the same city. At the moment, the game's lighting hasn't been implemented, but the graphics engine seems to be coming along quite well. The city has been re-created faithfully, complete with much of the detail and interactivity seen in the Xbox game. We were able to break through buildings and background elements such as dividers and street lamps with little trouble. The city also appeared to be as expansive as the one seen in the Xbox game, which is a pretty impressive feat. A pleasingly large number of pedestrians roamed the streets and dutifully bounced off our hood as we tore through the streets. The police's funny bug car lacked some of the finer detail on the body and engine but did include dynamic models of the driver and passenger that reacted to our driving and looked good overall. The game's lighting and special effects, which were still being implemented, had been scaled back quite a bit from the Xbox version but were coming along. We were also rewarded with particle effects during some collisions and flashes during explosions. In spite of their slightly rough appearance, the effects in the game were looking pretty good and definitely have us curious to see how they turn out.

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions is set to ship this fall for the PlayStation 2. Look for more on the game in the coming months.

By Ricardo Torres, GameSpot VG [POSTED: 07/09/02]

DIGITAL
07-10-2002, 12:55 PM
they get a 2 player mode an a free roaming mode,plus you can mow down people,whish the xbox version had that ,but i think it still looks way better on the xbox. check my post number!:mad:

faceoff508
07-10-2002, 12:59 PM
NOT FAIR!!!! AND ITS NOT MADE BY THE SAME DEVELOPER WHO MADE THE XBOX VERSION. NOT FAIR!!!! :mad: :mad: WHY COULDNT IT BE A LOUSY PORT? WHY? If PS2 had wrecless first then the Xbox would have just gotten a lousy port. BUT NO becaus eits the PS@ it has to get the bst version. THIS REALLY FUKS ME OFF!!

faceoff508
07-10-2002, 01:17 PM
They get weapon also: http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/070902/wreckless/wreckless_screen005 .jpg

Look at the left side of the screen and you see rockets. Thi is totaly not fair!!

JJaX
07-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Who gives a flying chode.....

THe game f'n Blows more than a fluffer at a gang bang.

Spaztic
07-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Who gives a flying chode.....

THe game f'n Blows more than a fluffer at a gang bang.

tru dat' shhh the only way it could be cool is if it came w/ a free blowup doll......then I would buy the game just for the blowup betty!

Taranis
07-10-2002, 01:47 PM
...and the developer is not content with simply porting the Xbox game to the PS2. Don't they say this about every game that gets ported? Whether it starts as XBox or PS2, this partial sentence is in every story about a game that goes from one platform to another.

PGR kicks Wreckless' ass anyway.

EHWfedPres
07-10-2002, 09:07 PM
PGR sucks. Powersliding is like driving on ice for god's sake, and the screech makes me want to commit acts of murder

Nerrad529
07-11-2002, 11:20 PM
Ps2 sucks they get lucky as heck

cityson
07-11-2002, 11:28 PM
PS2 has more modes, that's good....But still, the graphics cannot beat the Xbox's version.

y2kash_14
07-11-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Taranis
Don't they say this about every game that gets ported? Whether it starts as XBox or PS2, this partial sentence is in every story about a game that goes from one platform to another.

PGR kicks Wreckless' ass anyway.

PGR and Wreckless are two different kinds of games

the PS2 Wreckless actually sounds pretty fun, always what i wanted in the original, too bad i dont own a PS2

bbchs_trash
07-12-2002, 12:15 AM
It's really just too bad.

This makes me want to cry.

I really do.

Seriously.

It hurts.

It hurts that I wanted to buy a flippin PS2.

This article does no justice in describing the game compared to the Xbox, coming along nicely? HAH! This game seriously doesn't contend with the version Xbox had. The lighting system isn't in... do you know why? The lighting system made those graphics that we saw on Xbox. The reflections were lighting. That's why the cars shined. PS2 version looks like GTA3 and no one will want this game for that very reason: It tries to be GTA and fails.

For all of you that want this game, too damned bad. We have Driver 3 coming soon enough and that will more than hold me over from not getting GTA. It is GTA's predaccessor. And it will still dominate come its return. Now that they are done making Stuntman, it's all Driver baby. Look for a March 2003 release. If that turns out to be the month it comes out, I demand everyone on the board give me $1 US cash!

pounder
07-13-2002, 01:54 AM
did sombudy say driver 3? and why was i not informed of this ? :D

ALC
07-13-2002, 04:45 PM
well In my opinion wreckless sucked yours and mine. I'm not renting it again, this is like that news i heard a while back that state of emergency was coming to xbox, ... it sucks, so who cares?

Man, I check the forums for the first time in like months and suddenly 3 of our exclusives are going on other platforms.. that's too bad..

/me counts the days until sony/rockstar's contract expires....

l Maximus l
07-13-2002, 06:09 PM
PS2 Wreckless:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/070902/wreckless/wreckless_screen007.jpg

XBox Wreckless:
http://www.xboxaddict.com/screenshots/images/3196.jpg

Nuff said.

bbchs_trash
07-13-2002, 06:31 PM
I love you Maximus...

BUT...

They did say that the lighting was not implemented so your "nuff said" has been revoked. I have a feeling they purposely gave out screens with no lighting because they just can't get the lighting good enough on PS2 hardware. As you can tell in the screen that Maximus posted, lighting played a major part of Xbox's game of Wreckless. And it should do the same for PS2. We will see... but who really cares?

Young_Fledgling
07-13-2002, 07:41 PM
it is ok... down deep inside we all know that the ps2 blows... i looked in bargain finder for used xbox's... NONE tons of ps2's and ***cubes though... WHY WOULD ANYONE SELL AN XBOX? ;)