PDA

View Full Version : Please explain enchanting...

khaos2005
07-10-2002, 01:31 PM
Well, I am by no means starting out at this game, since I have just reached level 50. However, when I made my thief-assassin character, I gave no consideration to anything magic-related. Just recently actually, I took all my magic skills from the single digits, into the 50's and 60's or higher.

My problem is, I have no understanding of enchanting things, and yet so many people are doing it. Even a friend of mine who swore against using magic of any sort (just like me) is now enchanting things. So I figure, what the hell, I might as well do it to. Now my questions...

1) I have 10 empty grand soul gems, and I am pretty sure I can use these to trap the things I kill. My question is, how do I trap things in them?

2) I have a grand soul gem with a Winged Twilight in it worth 60K. What can I do with this?

3) Would you consider making constant effect clothing items "cheating", or no?

4) Does it matter what enchanter I go to? Or do they all do the exact same thing?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Alien
07-10-2002, 01:34 PM
You go up to someone who Enchants things. They're usually found in the Mages Guilds. You then click on 'Enchant'. And then select what item you want to enchant, and what soul you want to use to enchant it with. Then you give it a power, and rename the item. This is very very basic information, but it's all I know about enchanted, I've never done it before.

JJaX
07-10-2002, 02:15 PM
1) You need to learn a soul trap spell, Or get scrolls. You cast the spell and for say 60 seconds you will see this grey mist around your target. If you kill your target withen the 60 seconds you will automaticly trap its soul into your gem. (Stronger creatures only fit in stronger gems) Careful, Golden saints can cancel your soul trap......

2) With a 60K soul gem it should have the charge of 300. This means say a spell cost 2 to cast it (the stronger the spell the cost to cast it will go up). You will be able the cast it 150 times if you used it over and over and over really quickly. BUt the great thing is that enchanted items recharge by themselves over time.

3) I yet to make a constant effect item, Ive never seen the option. I dunno

4) Make sure the enchanter likes you alot, Better prices ;) The stronger the spell the more $$$.

Or you can make it yourself, But you most have a very high enchantment skill, If its not high enough you will fail at making the item and the soul gem will shatter. Thats why i just buy mine ;)

The better your level is at enchanting the cost per use will go down. Just like a magic spell. Example, A fireball cost 20 points per use if your enchantment level is 15. Work it up to 35 and it will cost 1 per use. Better enchantment skills = less charge per use. Get it?

Also save your game before making anything, Make sure you like the results!

Also before you make it make sure you know how you want the spell to work. For example, You would want a fireball to be cast at object. And a spell like invisible would be be cast on self......

I still have much to learn myself, But this info will get you on your way.

John002
07-10-2002, 04:47 PM
I'm a fighter, not a Mage, but I have to admit all this talk of enchanting stuff has me interested.

khaos2005
07-10-2002, 06:55 PM
Thanks JJaX and Alien, that helped a lot. I appreciate it.

By the way, I have an Umbra sword which supposedly traps souls within 60 seconds. But I attack a creature and kill it and nothing happens. What specifically do you have to do to correctly use the Umbra sword?

ScorpionX
07-10-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by khaos2005
Thanks JJaX and Alien, that helped a lot. I appreciate it.

By the way, I have an Umbra sword which supposedly traps souls within 60 seconds. But I attack a creature and kill it and nothing happens. What specifically do you have to do to correctly use the Umbra sword?

You have to activate it on the magic menu. It doesn't soul trap when you him them with it, you have to put the spell on it by pressing Y and then casting the spell. I ahd that problem also.

JJaX
07-12-2002, 09:36 AM
I also just figured something out last night, But im sure its been posted before........

If you use a grand soul gem with a golden saint in it you have to option to create a constant. Then after you setup the spell with what constant you want just switch the soul gem to a weak ass one and it still works! :eek:

I took a exquisite Shirt and made it do "constant effect bound longblade"

So now i dont even gotta carry a sword, I have a bound one forever as long as i where my shirt and it weighs 0. PLus it fortifys my long blade 10 points. My longblade is now 110, Sweet!

So what im saying is you can take a normal soul gem and use it to make constants, Just hold onto your golden saint soul gem and make as many as you want.

Sweeet!

Constant effect items dont require a charge, So you can use crap ass souls to make nice constants!

Tkf5000
07-12-2002, 10:28 AM
i was going to do that. but nowi cant enchant anything im a vampire. i was going to get clothes that invisiblility constant affect and bound longsword and curiass,etc. that way i would still be able to run really fast because i wouldnt have much weight. im going to do this after i cure myself from vampirism.

JJaX
07-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Tkf5000
i was going to do that. but nowi cant enchant anything im a vampire. i was going to get clothes that invisiblility constant affect and bound longsword and curiass,etc. that way i would still be able to run really fast because i wouldnt have much weight. im going to do this after i cure myself from vampirism.

Im assuming when your a vampire the enchanters will not offer their services and thats why you cant enchant?

Tkf5000
07-12-2002, 07:08 PM
yep. everyone says "i dont mind you vampire but i wont go down low enough to serve you" or something like that.i dont think any of my quarra guildmembers offer enchanting,were pure fighters, they just sell weapons. they have a couple good ones too.

EHWfedPres
07-12-2002, 07:26 PM
here's how...

get alot of cash

go to enchanter

pick soul gem and item

pick spell

hit ok.

Tkf5000
07-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
here's how...

get alot of cash

go to enchanter

pick soul gem and item

pick spell

hit ok.
thats what we are telling him. you dont have to get all smart about it like hes an idiot.

EHWfedPres
07-12-2002, 07:34 PM
Im not getting smart, Im telling him how to do it, ok?

Tkf5000
07-12-2002, 07:45 PM
yea but you act like hes a idiot that cant do anything. he knows how to go to a enchanter and stuff. he didnt know what to do with soul gems and constant affect,etc. i hope he can hit ok on his own, hope its not too hard for him.