PDA

View Full Version : Archers?

khaos2005
07-12-2002, 10:56 AM
I know a lot of people that have this game, and not a one specializes in marksman weapons. Also, I don't hear many people on these boards talking about using bows, crossbows, or darts.

Does anyone actually mainly specialize in using these weapons? Can anyone survive using just marksman weapons, or are those really only for long distance attacks?

Are you expected to pick up your darts and arrows after you fight? I have ebony darts that are worth 2K each. That's a lot of money to literally just throw away. Yet they are so hard to find again on the ground. So if anyone is an archer of sorts, how do you do it, or how should you do it?

I was thinking of making my next character an archer, so I needed to know how things worked. Thanks.

Alien
07-12-2002, 10:59 AM
I use my Steel Crossbow a lot. Yesterday, I was being chased by a Nix Hound. I could have easily killed it, but I wanted to get my marksmanship up you know? So I stood on top of a roof, and peppered it with arrows. Then I left the town, lured an Alit in, and did the same thing. Then to a rat, then to another Alit. I wasted all those arrows. :D

Duke
07-12-2002, 11:15 AM
I'm an archer. Takes awhile to really build it, and I can never remember trainers.

Anyway, you don't get most of your arrows or bolts back. For most strong enemies you just use your ranged weapons for as long as you can until they come withing distance and then switch it up. Weaker enemies can be dropped from a distance.

I'm not a really big user of darts or the throwing stars, but they work fine. Money isn't really too big a concern for me, so unless I'm just trying to build marksmanship points, I use the most expensive arrow/bolt I can find.

Favorite for me is the crossbow as it seems to be more accurate than the others.

Hope that helped, just kind of rambling.

Alien
07-12-2002, 11:19 AM
There's a guy in the Hlaalu Council Manor or whatever (near Nerano Manor, closest to the hills, has a tree in front of it with 2 rocks next to the tree) in Balmora. He's upstairs on the second floor. He trains in Marksman. It costs like 100-125 Gold each time, so pretty cheap.

Dre
07-12-2002, 01:40 PM
I've got a thief/assassin type character that uses ninja-stars, throwing knives and darts as well as bows to kill. He's got 100 speed right now so I can basically outrun anyone while running backwards as I keep on shooting stuff into them. And ya.. when a dart or something connects on target, you can usually pick it back up by examining the dead body. Its a very fun type of character to play!

Skarp
07-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Be a marksman and specialize in Alteration. Just levitate above the enemy and shoot them dead.
To take this further you could also specialize in Conjuration. Summon some guys, the enemy will stand still to attack, then you hover above and shoot. Summoning guys would also help if the enemy has a spell that could shoot at you.

Tkf5000
07-12-2002, 08:59 PM
i got a dwemer crossbow i think. i use it as my secondary weapon. im not very good at it but i use it when i can. my longsword is at 100 so i got nowhere else to go.

Alien
07-12-2002, 10:30 PM
Where did you get the Dwemer Crossbow? I would love to have one...

Thanks in advance.

Tkf5000
07-12-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Alien
Where did you get the Dwemer Crossbow? I would love to have one...
quarra lair, dzuntch or dzuntech or whatever its called. youll probly die trying to get it unless your high level. ibelong to that loodline so i get services there.

khaos2005
07-13-2002, 01:28 AM
After translating what you said, I have a question.

What's it like being a vampire? Are you glad you chose that path? Did you, or are you going to do the main quest?

SlightlySycho
07-13-2002, 02:16 PM
There's another Dwemer Crossbow on somebody outside of Tel Branora. There's a sorceress and her knights standing just outside of the city. Don't worry about killing them because they're at odds with Mistress Therana, the Telvanni witch who runs the city. The loot in general is excellent. There's also a guy in the city who'll give you 1000 drakes if you kill them (can't remember his name, but you can ask some people in the city about him). Just make sure you bring alot of restore attribute potions. They did some major damage to my stats.

I was around level twenty when I beat them, and it wasn't that hard. Just be careful. When you attack one, the rest will jump on you. There are like six of them. I suggest you take out the witch first.

Tkf5000
07-14-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by khaos2005
After translating what you said, I have a question.

What's it like being a vampire? Are you glad you chose that path? Did you, or are you going to do the main quest?
Being a vampire is useless. you get a few extra quests and you try to finda cure. nobody talks to you. some people attack you on sight or attack when u talk to them. some stats go up by 20 and some go up by 30 in exchange for that and you get 50 percent resistance to normal weapons and 50 percent weakness to fire plus immunity to poison and common disease. dont choose this path. i personally like it but im gonna cure myself someyime. i know everyone else will hate it. and its very very very hard to catch the disease. and you wont even notice if you do anyway. the disease isnt callesd vampirism or anything so ull probly use cure common disease. and you geet 1 new spell called vampire touch. u use it to get your health back because when u sleep you have nightmares and u dont get your health back. this is a little hard for me because im a pure fighter but my magic stats went up so i can use it about 5 times. and the worst thing other than u cant talk to anybody is sunlight. it killsyou like nothing. your forced to travel at night and you need to walk long distances becasue you cantg get transportation. the mages guild thinks your ok and will talkto you but will refuse to serve u. the telvanni want to experiment on you, theyll talk but still no service. the only service you get from now on is your hq. your hq has a few sellers and some "cattle" to feed on. there are 17 total vampire quests but you get 13 each game depending on your bloodline. there are 3 bloodline quarra=fighters audne=mages berne= theives. there is a lot more to that too that i dont feel like going on aobut. as for the last 2 questions, you dont choose your path but it does have its ups and downs. im glad i choose this path. you can complete the main quest as a vampire but it is extremely diffucult. it will require a lot more work and somtimes you need to take the "back road" around things. i havent completed the main quest yet and i dont plan on doing that for a long time. right from the start of the game i said im gunna learn the game and finish my goal and become redoran leader,and lead fighter and top theif, etc. i wont be starting the main quest until i do what i want and when i cure my self (after i complete all vamp quests). one more thing once u cure yourself you cant become a vampire again until your next game.

khaos2005
07-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Wow, thanks for that reply.

Yannie Boy
07-15-2002, 09:39 AM
I use my bow alllllllllllll the time along with my umbra sword. I raised my marksman from 40 to 85 in one week.

Duke
07-15-2002, 12:15 PM
Bow with umbra sword. Never seen the umbra sword, but as far as I know it's impossible to use a sword and a bow at the same time.
\
Please explain.

Alien
07-15-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
Bow with umbra sword. Never seen the umbra sword, but as far as I know it's impossible to use a sword and a bow at the same time.
\
Please explain. He means he keeps both in his Inventory and uses both in battle, but not at the same time. :rolleyes:

xbaaddict
07-15-2002, 03:57 PM
I have my archery at 100 and my short blade at 100 i use my dwemer crossbow a little but not half as much as my bow called Auriels Bow its the best bow in the game i think...it does 2 to 50 damage but nearlly always 50 for me at my level i can kill an ogrim in 4 shots and i can kill those damn birds in 1 easy...If anyone wants to know where to find it i can help them if yall would like the help ;)

Plewis
07-15-2002, 04:04 PM
that would be nice. I have been looking to get my marksmen up...

khaos2005
07-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Yes please inform me. I'd like to get it.

The other day I got my Daedric Longbow, is that bow better than this one?

Thanks.

xbaaddict
07-15-2002, 04:21 PM
ok guys since you all asked nice...it belongs to the head ordinator over at ghost gate ok now i forgot which tower he is in but he is in one of them you will find him quick just look in the top of both the dusk and the dawn and find the one with an ordinator and an ordiator withhis shield and helmet on a table nearby he has the bow called auriels bow made of ebony and smells of ash yams (dont ask about the yams you will know if you join house telvanni...but thats not important) it does 2-50 damage and this ordinator also has the ordinators galvel which is awsome for blunt people. it drains health 10-20 pnts for 30 seconds i bieleve. just make him attack you by taunting him and take the bow...hey the guy with the daedric long bow...i have yet to find this bow and do not know if it betters than this bow it would be nice they if you could give me a location to this bow it would be appreciated much thanks again guys.

Plewis
07-15-2002, 04:54 PM
i bought a bound daedric longbow spell at Balmora's Mages Guild I think

Tkf5000
07-15-2002, 05:25 PM
no you didnt. balmora mages guild doesnt have it. maybe your thinking of another mages guild like caldera or sumthin.

khaos2005
07-15-2002, 05:34 PM
I got my Daedric Longbow (worth 50K) at Maelkashishi, which is west, and slightly north of Maar Gan. It's near the Hairat-Vassamsi Egg Mine, if you find that first. You'll need to be able to float with potions or spells to get it, because it is on the highest platform in that shrine. You'll know which part because the roof is very, very high.

Tkf5000
07-15-2002, 05:44 PM
whats the daedric longbows stats?

khaos2005
07-15-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Tkf5000
whats the daedric longbows stats?

Attack: 2-50
Condition: x/1000
Weight: 24.0
Value: 50,000

Plewis
07-15-2002, 06:55 PM
no you didnt. balmora mages guild doesnt have it. maybe your thinking of another mages guild like caldera or sumthin.

im pretty sure I bought it in Balmora. It might have been from the traveler lady. If I didnt buy it there than it must have been sadrith mora... i think, but im pretty sure its somewhere in balmora.

xbaaddict
07-15-2002, 08:44 PM
yes the daedric bow does just as much damage as auriels bow and they are both awsome though i think auriels bow is lighter...

Tkf5000
07-16-2002, 01:42 PM
yea ebony is lighter than daedric. im pretty sure it aint balmora and i cant check right now because they wont service me until i cure my vampirism.

Applesauce
07-17-2002, 05:15 PM
I use a steel crossbow and I only have two complaints: bolts are sometimes very hard to find and my secondary weapon is a stupid shortblade and two there aren't a whole lot of trainers that will train you past a certain skill level usually to get better all you can do is kill creatures:p

Tkf5000
07-17-2002, 05:26 PM
you gotta find the secret masters. its not that hard to find bolts. i have like 300 sum bolts. well thats not a lot really but its enough. i just use them sometimes. i usually use my crescent or umbra.

symposiumx
07-17-2002, 08:02 PM
yea ebony is lighter than daedric. im pretty sure it aint balmora and i cant check right now because they wont service me until i cure my vampirism.

tkf5000 is correct. Balmora doesnt off anyone the opprotunity of attaining a bound long bow spell. maybe you took the fast travel fomr Balmora to somewhere else and bought it Phlewis? and you just forgot the travel part (I know I have done that a few times...so busy buying and talking athat after the conversation I go "wehre am i again???")

y2kash_14
07-17-2002, 11:41 PM
One of my charachters specializes in Marksman, its a really usefull skill to have. I use the Daedric Longbow, i dont bother using throwing items, and i have a lot more fun with the Longbow than the Crossbow, but i dont play this file a lot anymore