PDA

View Full Version : Halo on PC? Discuss.

Taranis
07-12-2002, 01:25 PM
I couldn't believe there wasn't a thread yet.

I think this is not such a bad thing. It could even work to boost the XBox by making people say, "Damn, and I could have been playing this over a year ago."

Dre
07-12-2002, 01:34 PM
I think its cool that we got to play it first.. we all knew this was going to happen.. just not at what time.

Mercury
07-12-2002, 01:55 PM
This is an outrage!!!! I can't MS is so stupid to allow such a move. Haven't they been listening to PC gamers since Nov! They hate xbox. They think it's crap, and it's mostly because they love their beloved PCs. Now they are giving them Halo! WTF!

Now they've lost any chance of PC gamers switching over to xbox. It's all over for the xbox. I'm trading it in for a PS2. Because I don't want to continue putting in money into a doomed console. Which xbox now is.

And we don't have bragging rights at all now. PS2 does. They have a lot of them. FF, Devil may cry, etc. Games that will be only on the PS2. MS you are bunch of fools!

MOrgE
07-12-2002, 01:57 PM
whoa... lets stop the press here for one minutes...

where and when was this announcment made about Halo being ported to the PC? i thought it was supposed to be an XboX exclusive...

wouldn't MS want PC gamers to switch over to the Xbox? if they give away one of their best kept games, then that chance is almost nothing now....

Mercury
07-12-2002, 02:00 PM
Exactly!

Now instead of saving up for xbox games I'm going to save up for a killer PC and get Halo online! So not only does MS lose PC gamers that might have come over to the xbox, but now they will lose xbox gamers over to the PC.

MS ARE IDIOTS!!! THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CONSOLE GAMING.

Dre
07-12-2002, 02:02 PM
wow mercury.. take a chill pill. xbox isn't doomed because Halo is going to PC. What kind of logic you using? My 5 yr old cousin has better thought-out ideas :)

Taranis
07-12-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by MOrgE
whoa... lets stop the press here for one minutes...

where and when was this announcment made about Halo being ported to the PC? i thought it was supposed to be an XboX exclusive...

wouldn't MS want PC gamers to switch over to the Xbox? if they give away one of their best kept games, then that chance is almost nothing now.... Press release reprinted on the front of this site. I have also seen it at other sites.

MOrgE
07-12-2002, 02:08 PM
thanks man...

i guess thats what i get for always skipping the main page and jumping right into the forums....

:(

yall
07-12-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Mercury
This is an outrage!!!! I can't MS is so stupid to allow such a move. Haven't they been listening to PC gamers since Nov! They hate xbox. They think it's crap, and it's mostly because they love their beloved PCs. Now they are giving them Halo! WTF!

Now they've lost any chance of PC gamers switching over to xbox. It's all over for the xbox. I'm trading it in for a PS2. Because I don't want to continue putting in money into a doomed console. Which xbox now is.

And we don't have bragging rights at all now. PS2 does. They have a lot of them. FF, Devil may cry, etc. Games that will be only on the PS2. MS you are bunch of fools!

I knew the second I saw that headline that this forum would be innundated with idiotic rants about MS releasing this on PC.

For starters the xbox is most popular amongst pc gamers. PC/Hardcore gamers is who MS went after directly.

Also Halo was first supposed to be a PC only title at first. MS was smart enough to convince the developers to focus on the xbox first so as to have a window of exclusivity. Keep in mind by the time PC and Mac users have Halo, it will have been available on the xbox for 2 years, and we as xbox owners will likely be enjoying Halo2 soon therafter.

But does anyone around here bother to think before they post? No. I love this site, but it is full of chicken-little, omfg-the-sky-is-falling-and-will-probably-crush-my-xbox posts.

Here is my imitation of 83% of the posts in this forum:

"i herd that xbex is crappy nows and playstn2s er nbetter games cuz e3 there werr games and a magazine and my frend told me xbox sucks and they break and burnt down orfanages caus they overheat. i think im gonna sell mine. maybe i'll put up a survey to see if i shold sell it. what do you guys think. i dont know if i like xbrx enymore. do i ? i dont have my own opiion. someoine tell me what i think quik!"

khaos2005
07-12-2002, 02:45 PM

You my friend, are a complete idiot. Your ignorance really shows in your two posts. MS isn't stupid. If they were, they wouldn't be the richest company in the world for the most part. I am sure they have reasons, and I'm sure those reasons are good. Get over it.

yall
07-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark
I think that was totally against me...my last post was a joke...jeez you freaking over react you loser
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT STAY THE HELL AWAY

It helps if you use the quote button so we can tell just whom it is that you are refering to as a loser. Incidentaly, my post was not directed at you.

Mercury
07-12-2002, 02:51 PM
You guys make me laugh. PC gamers hate xbox all the way. If you think otherwise you are totally in the dark. Just read any PC gaming magazine and you can tell they hate the xbox. They don't want their beloved PC to lose it's ground. Ask someone who thinks of themselves as a hardcore PC gamer to play MOH on the xbox and they will laugh in your face. Saying that they are a true gamer and playing their PC games on the xbox is a waste of time.

I know you all love your xbox, but you have to face reality here. This won't win over any PC gamer and in fact who here now wants to get a upgraded PC so they can play Halo online with much more multiplayer support than the xbox version? I know most of you will.

Don't be a bunch of dummies. This WILL ruin it for the xbox.

yall
07-12-2002, 02:57 PM
You guys make me laugh. PC gamers hate xbox all the way. If you think otherwise you are totally in the dark. Just read any PC gaming magazine and you can tell they hate the xbox. They don't want their beloved PC to lose it's ground. Ask someone who thinks of themselves as a hardcore PC gamer to play MOH on the xbox and they will laugh in your face. Saying that they are a true gamer and playing their PC games on the xbox is a waste of time.

I know you all love your xbox, but you have to face reality here. This won't win over any PC gamer and in fact who here now wants to get a upgraded PC so they can play Halo online with much more multiplayer support than the xbox version? I know most of you will.

Interesting. I'm a PC software developer and have been a PC gamer for years. Of the6 individules I know personally that own xboxes, 4 are also software developers and 1 is a macintosh network admin. Prior to owning xboxes we were all avid pc gamers (and some of us, including myself, still are).

Of course the pc game magazines bash the xbox. If pc gamers switch, they lose subscription and newstand dollars. If you owned a motorcycle magazine and realized all of your readers were buying cars also, wouldn't you talk trash about the automobiles? You argument lacks logic (as do many arguments on this site).

If you are truly worried about what could 'ruin' the xbox, its bad press. So stop posting it!

Dre
07-12-2002, 03:02 PM

I can only speak for myself, but I for one am a pc gamer. Xbox is actually the first console I ever buy and I've been into gaming for over 10 years now. A good friend of mine is the same. And guess what.. we both own Xbox's.

Anyone who says they "are a true gamer" knows it doesn't make s4it of a difference wtf you're playing on as long as its fun. Its about games, not whatever you play them on.

Quit generalizing the whole gaming population and maybe your posts will have a touch more credibility to them.

faceoff508
07-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Halo was the only reason to get an Xbox. Now the only reason to get the xbox is its graphics. PS2s best selling game was GTA3 and it was ported to the PS2 and GBA. Halo also must follow GTA3s path and go on the PC. Nintendos games will have the least chance of going to the PC becuase Nintendo wont allow it. Now I hope when Brute FOrce or Project Ego come out they will be the two reasons to get an Xbox. You cant count Xbox Live cause not that many people have broadband!!

ALSO Bungie will not be developing it for the PC. So it might suck. Also a differen developer is doing the MAC version. Just pray that the PC version will suck ass.

LynxFX
07-12-2002, 04:08 PM
First off, Mercury is an idiot.

Ok now that I got that out of the way, this won't hurt the Xbox one iota. For one thing, by the time it comes out for the PC (YIPPIE!!!) it would have been available on the Xbox for almost 21 months. The next version of Halo will probably already be out for the Xbox anyway as was touched on at E3.

I for one am very happy for this because now I can play Halo the way it should have been played. With a mouse and keyboard in a multiplayer environment that gives you way more than 4 people playing. (I don't count splitscreen since that is the worst way to play a game like this)

Like I said on the main page, summer of 2003 is a long time to wait so I'm glad we are getting UT2003 soon which should give us(PC gamers) plenty to do until Halo.

And don't forget, Halo is still exclusive to the Xbox and it is an awesome game on it.

dave_m123
07-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Gearbox is doing the PC version they did a pretty good job on half life if i remember rightly.

I've been a PC gamer for years and Xbox is my first console and i love it. I doubt most PC gamers hate Xbox.

ALC
07-12-2002, 08:11 PM
yeah, gearbox did "opposing force"

/me reads Halo box cover...
"only on xbox".. That... hmmmmmm... How quickly they ate their words..

LynxFX
07-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ALC

And it is ONLY on Xbox. Exclusivity only pertains to consoles, not consoles and PC's. Geeze, how many times does this have to be said?:rolleyes:

ALC
07-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

And it is ONLY on Xbox. Exclusivity only pertains to consoles, not consoles and PC's. Geeze, how many times does this have to be said?:rolleyes:

Okay, I'm sorry :confused: .

anyway.,. If (apparantly) the reason everyone was buying xbox was Halo, then that wasnt a wise idea for microsoft.. maybe they should manufacture PCs instead. :rolleyes:

Hopefully for us and microsoft, Xbox Live will be a big selling point :)

DBXNY
07-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by ALC

Not, really. The "only on xbox" slogan has already been defined awhile ago to mean exclusive among gaming consoles. Halo going to PC is such old news I can't believe some folks here are making a big fuss over it now.

LynxFX
07-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by ALC
anyway.,. If (apparantly) the reason everyone was buying xbox was Halo, then that wasnt a wise idea for microsoft.. maybe they should manufacture PCs instead. :rolleyes:

I think everyone that bought an Xbox or any console for that matter was to play games not just a game. Like DBXNY, Halo was slated to be on the PC first anyway, but was later changed to be on the Xbox first.

ShannonX
07-12-2002, 10:49 PM
everybody done gone and jumped to conclusions all sudden like... (intentionally written that way)....

Halo 2 with full online support will be out for the holiday shopping season in 2003. Am i worried? Of course not. There will always be a different market for PC games and console games. Some games will always be better suited for a PC environment. Some better suited for a console environment.

And no, halo going to mac and pc will not "end the world of xbox". *yawn*.

BCan
07-13-2002, 12:52 AM
Hmmmm - how many of you "freaked out doomsayers" stopped to think like this

Halo on PC - by that time I would assume Halo would be at the Platinum Price, like with PS2, and people might want to see what all the fuss is about on an XBOX....
I would want the marketing dept at MS sacked, since they have done a woeful job of trying to sell the XBOX......

It might add a few extra XBOX buyers, since MS is one of the most cashed up companies in the world, they aren't exactly going to give up in a whimper in the console market.
I can't believe how the average Joe is being sucked into buying the two year old PS2 when the newer XBOX is the same price, but a better buy. How much money is Sony throwing at stores to get them to sell the PS2?!!

xboxgamer142
07-13-2002, 03:35 AM
I was expecting some kind of Halo game on PC, but not the Xbox version. Microsoft did a bad choice, but Halo was originally supposed to be for PC anyway.

What really bugs me is that it's coming out for MAC (piece of junk). PC and Xbox are sort of the same in a way, such as the engine, but a MAC!

Halo isn't the only good game on Xbox. There are games that are coming out for Xbox that will be very good. I hope Gearbox and the other company screw Halo up for PC/MAC, because one of the reasons why Halo was so good was that Bungie developed it.

E Nomini Patri
07-13-2002, 11:38 AM
xboxgamer142: No one has said yet whether or not the PC Halo version will be the same as the X-box version. For all we know, it could have the Flamethrower in it! As time goes by we will know exactly what will be in the PC version, so hold on for a while.

KirbyDeedlit
07-19-2002, 09:52 PM
I think this is a bad move for Xbox. Even though Halo wasn't the one reason to get an Xbox, it was an important one.

And you know when it comes on PC ***hole know-nothing gamers will prance about showing off their version, saying how much better it is, and how "X-Box SUX!"

If I had to make a decision about this I wouldn't have had Halo go to the PC, I hope Microsoft would release something on why they did this, and how this will benefit Xbox in anyway...because I can't seem to think of one.

Sargent_Ryan
07-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Why not put it on the pc? It isn't going to come out for another year and maybe even later than that because didn't they put the release date next summer. 6 months after it goes for the pc we will be getting halo 2. Most games are better on the pc anyways and playing games online is the best part. Once you start your hooked. If I had a better comp then I would probably just play games on the computer. I was reading on xbox.com where when this game was first suppose to be on the computer they were going to make it so you played huge battles where you could be covenant and all. It's on xbox.com somewhere so just read it there I don't have the link. And with computer games there is so much more that can be done. But I love the xbox and I am just waiting until this fall when all the good fps games come out. Look at most of the ones that are coming out that everyone wants. Most of them were computer games.

melon
07-20-2002, 12:06 AM
ok everyone should just calm down, Halo is awesome..YES..but we all know that there is going to be a game better then Halo, and that will be Halo 2...everyone will be thinking about Halo 2, the next Halo

and that will be exclusive to xbox for at least a little while, we all know that..

c'mon!

Sargent_Ryan
07-20-2002, 12:29 AM
Agrees with melon. People who are all upset about this are acting all crazy. Especially the guy who said he was going to get rid of his xbox and buy a ps2 just because halo was going to come out on the pc. The game was suppose to come out on it all along. And when they say xbox exclusive I think they only mean towards consoles not the computer.

hook-worm J
07-20-2002, 01:49 AM

Hmmm, I'm a PC gamer, and I own and enjoy an Xbox. And who gives a **** about winning over the PC gamers who hate Xbox. Why do you care? **** happens, its just a friggin game!

Highlite23
07-20-2002, 02:07 AM
1ST off XBOX games going to PC after a year is not going to hurt XBOX.

2ND, It seems like some XBOX owners are showing that they are actually "Fair Weathered Fans" at best.

3RD, you don't need a lame reason like PC ports to justify you wanting a difrent console, do what you want and shut up already.

By the end of August you'll see all these guys posting the praises of XBOX again.:rolleyes:

ALC
07-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
1ST off XBOX games going to PC after a year is not going to hurt XBOX.

2ND, It seems like some XBOX owners are showing that they are actually "Fair Weathered Fans" at best.

3RD, you don't need a lame reason like PC ports to justify you wanting a difrent console, do what you want and shut up already.

By the end of August you'll see all these guys posting the praises of XBOX again.:rolleyes:

amen. a-freakin-men :p

Tinny
07-21-2002, 12:27 PM
Any of you guys seen the new PC shots yet? What the hell happened to Halo? Argh, so far it looks really really bad and I am crossing my fingers. They better start tweaking those graphics soon or Halo won't get what it deserves on the PC. They might have a year+ for that but they better hurry. However, with that said, I look forward to the added features aswell as a newer and better multiplayer system for the PC. I am most likely gonna grab Halo on my (new - hopefully) PC and play online. However, it all depends on Halo Online and X-Box Live and Halo 2... hmm, perhaps I might not be getting Halo on the PC then...

PS. PC are great machines to play games on, but so are consoles. I treat them as two different markets so if games goes from the PC to the console (or vice-versa) then I will think great, the more people exposed to the games the better.

PPS. Now for a better discussion: How do you think Halo will fair up to games like DOOM III, Unreal 2 and Quake IV and all the new ones that gonna come out after them? Halo is going to get a late start and Doom might take the cake in the FPS world for PCs.

ALC
07-22-2002, 02:14 AM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/1999_7/99_0721_pc_halo/screenshot_screen004.jpg

bleugh! lol

edit! I just watched the 10 minute trailer movie at gamespot. Nothing short of amazing. It looks like a completely different game.. But this could just be an early pre-xbox trailer.. because it has many of the things that bungie removed from the final version; The rocket launcher on the back of the warthog, the useable plasma blade, the driveable covenant red thing etc..
Two things that puzzled me were the master chief's 80's robot style voice, and the "bungie" part.. Wouldnt it say gearbox in this case?

If the game is completely different (or at least different levels) .. I'm buying it! The tail things on the back of the banshee move now! heehee

Tinny
07-22-2002, 07:08 AM
The one you watched was the E3 2000 one. The OXM Issue 5 (UK) had a vid of "Halo: The Untold Story" and I saw the E3 one when it came out. The first time I saw it, I thought it was crap! I actually thought that the thing was a FMV! lol, about a year later I found out what I saw wasn't exactly a FMV and is pretty much what you see in game. That just amazed me and I grabbed as many vids of Halo off the net I can. A year later, I was playing a demo version of Halo and thought it was a cool game. I brought the X-Box and Halo and thought it was the best FPS I've played.

E3 2000 vid of Halo was the one that convinved Bill Gates to buy Bungie and the game BTW. It had dinosaur type things and plasma shields and alien speech. It looks damn cool but there's little things (like the needler and AR sound) that are weird and the chief does sound not as um, butch as he does now.

PS. The vids of Halo on the DVD is Macworld '99, E3 2000 and Gamestock 2001 (X-Box).

PPS. Bungie still holds liscense don't they? But yeah, it will say Gearbox (aswell as Bungie).

Veno
07-22-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by khaos2005

You my friend, are a complete idiot. Your ignorance really shows in your two posts. MS isn't stupid. If they were, they wouldn't be the richest company in the world for the most part. I am sure they have reasons, and I'm sure those reasons are good. Get over it.

So you're absolutely sure those reasons are good, huh? Well, i haven't posted in 2 weeks, was on vacation in nyc. In my opinion Microsoft's strategy right now are confusing for a number of things...

First, it seems like they're trying to suck the last bit of money out of the xbox by putting it's best game on the pc because they know it's immensely popular and has been waited for for quite a long time.

Second, they're also saying that the xbox is not doomed and they're still behind it by putting 2 billion dollars in xbox live? It's a bit confusing what ms has in mind, but right now bill's strategy to get in the console world full force hasn't succeeded as planned.

Third, they've gotten a lot of pc games to be ported to the xbox when really most of those games are impossible to port over being so complicated.

Dre
07-22-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Veno
Third, they've gotten a lot of pc games to be ported to the xbox when really most of those games are impossible to port over being so complicated.

I didn't think there were many PC-to-Xbox ports. Since you say there are "alot", would you please list some?

I remember reading that MS was going to frown upon dev's just doing PC-to-Xbox ports because they wanted to get away from the image that the Xbox was just a computer.

noodleboy
07-22-2002, 01:34 PM
Do you people realize how many Halo games for the PC that they will sell???

I would love to see a company run by you morons.

Robbiem01
07-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Who cares about having bragging rights ... I dont care if halo is an exclusive game or not ... as long as I can play it on my xbox i'm happy. Why not let others play it on whatever they already have if they want to ... its not going to run as fast or be as fun w/o the controller but if they want to why not let 'em. Besides it isn't like it's the only good xbox game ... we got plenty of games to play and a sh*tload more are coming soon.

Heh, i'd like to see 4 people playing split screen on one keyboard and a computer monitor. Its just not the same on a PC but if they want to let 'em.

LynxFX
07-22-2002, 07:49 PM
Heh, i'd like to see 4 people playing split screen on one keyboard and a computer monitor.

You won't have to because PC users will be using the FULL screen playing 32 people all in high resolution with a keyboard and mouse.

It'll be interesting to see what changes happen on the PC side.

Robbiem01
07-23-2002, 07:28 AM
Its not the same when your friends aren't in the same room as you ... thats what I was trying to say. And with a pc you arn't all going to be sharing a keyboard on one monitor (that would just be dumb.) Its so much fun when you get all your friends over to play. Another bad thing is some of my friends that play halo dont have a good enough computer to play it with me online. They would be getting like 1 frame per 2 seconds and it just wouldn't work.

Tinny
07-23-2002, 07:56 AM
You know, there's alot of 56kers around the world, and I have a feeling that Halo won't get what it deserves on MP. And about the keyboard and mouse. I really love my X-Box controller for FPSs y'know. Having a keyboard and mouse to play Halo is really going to make the game lose alot of it's fun. I even think my skills on the pad beats my skills using the keyboard and mouse. Ah well, so the PC version will have people clicking instead of pulling the trigger :(

PS. I wonder if a bettter voice comm on the PC will be in existence when Halo comes out on PC...