PDA

View Full Version : What does your XBox Gaming set-up look like?

l Maximus l
10-25-2001, 01:32 PM
I'm curious, what does everyone's gaming set-up look like?

I have a 36" Toshiba stereo T.V. in a seperate room in my house designated for gaming excellence. It's actually my den which also has my computer. But, this room will now be called the "XBox den" or "XBox room". Any better suggestions? It also has a three person couch with beer holders, and an extra chair that folds out for an extra buddy.

A surround sound stereo is in the plans...I should have it installed in a month or so. How about everyone else?

scarecrow kfj
10-25-2001, 01:48 PM
A sony wega tv, yahmaha dig stereo, couches and coffe table. My comp/game room is in the works.

Max call it the boxcave.... you know bat cave box cave.. lol

SquirrelJam
10-25-2001, 02:30 PM
32" Sony Trinitron and an Onkyo dolby digital system. I also have a 21" inch Stereo TV that will serve as the "travel" TV set when I go play co-op HALO with a friend at his place or he can use it when he comes over to mine. I hate split screen and will use two systems/two TV's whenever possible.

Oh yeah, lest we not forget... muy mucho gaming titles on hand! My VISA card is already wincing in pain. But it hurts sooo good.

BlaZeR2
10-25-2001, 02:38 PM
Sony Wega TV
yamaha Dolby Digital / DTS Receiver
Cerwin Vega towers for those moments when you need a lot of bass
yamaha fronts, rears, center, and powered sub
3-4 person couch
2-3 person loveseat
1 recliner
2 coffee tables with a total of 8 beer holders (coasters to normal people)

and if the need arrises, i have a few nice video game chairs resembling beach lounge chairs - very comfy!!!

Chome
10-25-2001, 03:52 PM
I got a 32" Sony wega.
Sony Reciver(Dolby Surrond, and DTS)
1 Subwoofer
1 Centerspeaker
4 tall speaker towers
2 smaller front speakers

I have a nice black leather office chair directly in the center

[sp]...[Entertainment Center].....[sp]

.................... [Chair]................................

[sp]...............[Subw]..................[sp]

Old Sckool
10-25-2001, 04:36 PM
JBL 5.1 Digital surround DTS/DB (not really top of the line but it does the job). A good set of boston speakers

Epson EMP 810 2000 ANSI lumens, true XGA (1024 x 768) projector. Got a 32" TV as well but its not a wega or any thing good.

Oh yea and a big a** wall to project on. Screen size is around 6 to 7 foot long (IT goes way bigger but the rooms to small), 4 player split screens are amazing on it! :p all setup in my back room, home cinema you got to love it. But you got to love a home cinema with a Dreamcast set up on it, just that little bit more. :D :D :D

l Maximus l
10-25-2001, 04:56 PM
D A M N! You guys are true gamers. There's only one thing better than an XBox - a bad ass XBox set-up for an ultimate gameplay experience.

I need to catch up...I saw a sweet Sony Surround-sound stereo for $519.00. I plan on buying this in a month or so...it has two front end speakers, two rear end, a middle speaker, and a HUGE woofer for the bass. That package also comes with a killer amplifier. It's all silver, so you guys with Sony Wegas can appreciate that since the Wega is silver :cool:

I like that nickname, too...my "Boxcave"...that's tight :D Thanks, buddy. I am planning on making the room into a complete XBox theme... No posters without frames...they will all be framed...I want to make this room look posh since I am a hardcore gamer.

My den is killer, too. I have four phone jacks, and three cable jacks. This can maximize on-line gaming while having your buddies in the same room. So far, everyone has a sweet set-up....it's a must!

Plasticman
10-25-2001, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by SquirrelJam
32" Sony Trinitron and an Onkyo dolby digital system. I also have a 21" inch Stereo TV that will serve as the "travel" TV set when I go play co-op HALO with a friend at his place or he can use it when he comes over to mine. I hate split screen and will use two systems/two TV's whenever possible.

Oh yeah, lest we not forget... muy mucho gaming titles on hand! My VISA card is already wincing in pain. But it hurts sooo good.

Squirrel, how do you like your Onkyo system??? I own one as well. I find that it's performs better than a lot of popular name systems. I'm using a "14 television to keep the res looking good. It's my game TV.

Supperdog
10-25-2001, 08:00 PM
i'm using a fairly run of the mill tv, leather beanbag chairs, mini fridge near by :D , 16 point surround sound w/ four subwoofers (expensive!!!) hehhe thanks dad :o (i'm 13 so i dont really have that much $$$)

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 01:00 PM
Ooh! That's an excellent idea! I need a beer fridge! After I get my surround sound system, a beer fridge will complete the room! Thanks for some ideas!

I might also think about getting another T.V. or two so we can maximize our LAN gameplay. No more split screens! This is going to be clutch....

scarecrow kfj
10-26-2001, 01:15 PM
Well the weekedn I get the xbox I will have a proxima going. We will be moving soon so when we are done I will be setting up more of a game room. There are alot of nice set ups out there. MMM beer, I wish I was home.

proxima xga
1024 - 769
16.7 million colors

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 01:28 PM
Scarecrow...I think I will take you up on the idea of calling my den the "BoxCave" but, first, I wouldn't mind hearing about some other ideas. Excellent idea! Does anyone else have any good ideas?

Whatever I decide on, I need to make a sign :D My wife might not like it...but, that's what kind of true gamer I am ;)

XBox pride :D

scarecrow kfj
10-26-2001, 01:44 PM
Madison Square Garden

Where you come to "Box"

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 01:49 PM
Dude! That's tight! You must be on-line the same time I am...hehe...work is bored isn't it, Scarecrow...I feel your pain...I'm at work, too ;)

I will have to say that Madison Square Garden is cool...kinda long, though......but, very very do-able :D

-Max

Hermes
10-26-2001, 01:51 PM
I have this 12'' TV that uses the RF hook-up; game sounds come from the tiny @ss built in 3'' speaker. The TV is in my bedroom. People have to sit on my bed. It's an all around sweet set-up.

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 01:55 PM
Hermes...Well, I'm glad that you atleast play the XBox! But, 12 inches for a T.V. screen seems a little small for my taste...but, if that's all you have, then, hey dude....it does the trick!

scarecrow kfj
10-26-2001, 01:59 PM
Max I think we are on here alot at the same time. I think both names are good. I will try to think of some more for you.
It sucks being at work on Friday, esp. when its slow. My friend has an old coke bottle machine with bottle opener and everything. I want that for my mini fridge .l o l

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 02:16 PM
I have a brother who has an Arizona Ice Tea fridge...He has it in his finished garage and it lights up the whole room! It's pretty sweet. I think a nice Coors Light fridge would do better, though :D

scarecrow kfj
10-26-2001, 02:27 PM
hey hey hey its miller here.. lol My friends father who dosnt drink works for miller so we get lots of beer. Its great to be connected.lol

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 02:36 PM
Hey, Miller does the trick...But, I'm still a Coors Light fan. With me turning 26, I'm experimenting with some new beers (new to me, anyway). I tried the following beers in the last few months (trying to figure out a good gamer beer ;)):

1. Sierra Nevada Pale (good), 2. Harps (good), 3. Bass (good), 4. Guiness (good if you like dark beer...I like a lighter pale, personally), 5. Rolling Rock (okay), 6. Blackstar (not too shabby), 7. Samual Adams Lagar (Pretty good), 8. Pilsner Urquel (Not too shabby), 9. Smirnoff Ice (Really good, but, only one is good - can give you heart-burn!!), 10. Petes Wicked Ale (Nice!) and Petes Strawberry blonde (that's good, too!) and Petes Winter Ale (Pretty good - comparable with Pyramid SnowCap - yummy ;)), and 11. Bottinger (dude, don't waste your taste buds on that one).

Don't worry, my kidneys are in good shape! hehe...I only had one of each...I'm trying to figure out which beer I'm going to celebrate with the first XBox gaming experience and what kind of beer I'm going to buy when my buddies come over to play Project Gotham, Amped, and Halo! It will be some good times :D

-Max

sinizuh
10-26-2001, 04:00 PM
i have a 10 year old 20" TV that uses A/V plugs... i think it has stereo sound... it's pretty pathetic.

scarecrow kfj
10-26-2001, 04:10 PM
Harps is good. we also drink alot of leinie's which is made by miller. 20 inches isnt to bad. I started gaming on a black and white tv with no sound of course that was back in the days with atri and nitendo. Plus I had help credit was being my friend.. lol

SciFi
10-26-2001, 04:11 PM
25", surround sound that (covers tv, vcr, 5cd/raidio deck, game systems), beanbag chairs, table, bar fridge...

"The X cave"
"the box" (after all that's what it is)
"X"
"Off limits":)

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 04:23 PM
Ooooh! Thanks, man! "The Box" is nice...and so simply...The room is off-limits anyway...but, I have to hand it to you...another good one!

So far, I have to narrow the field down with "The Box", "Box Cave", "The X Crib", "The motherf-ing bad ass beat the sh-t out of your pathetic ass room" (that one is a little long, but, nice touch), and "Maden Square Garden" (nice touch, scarecrow)

Any way you look at it...it will be a nice set-up with the XBox at the center of attention :D

-Max

scarecrow kfj
10-26-2001, 04:41 PM
I like the box as well I dont know about the x crib though. sounds like something SNL or mad tv would have to spoof on the x files. I am happy it is time to go home. : )

Dan Livingston
10-26-2001, 05:51 PM
36'' Panisonic Tv, Onkyo rack (onkyo EVERYTHING--and i mean turntables, cd,..... nothing has ever come close to onkyo, squirelljam and plasticman..)
Bose 401 speakers baybe! 5.1, but i don't use the .1 . The bose speakers do a better job than a sub could a reproducing bass----it's mind-bloingly phenominal what they can do with a pair of direct/riflexting 6'' speakers. anyways, couches that fit a total 6, and it's all spread out in this huge 10' tall, 22x 26 foot room. and if your curious, yes, i like to have parties at my house. no i can't wait for that little black box....

squirell and plastic man, what speakers and wires do you have your onkyos going out to?

ShannonX
10-26-2001, 06:53 PM
seeing as i probably wont be lucky enough to get on till after christmas, i should have a decent TV by then (one with s-video). Not to sure about the surround sound since i live in an apartment, i wouldn't be able to play it very loud. But my current tv is just a 25" with RF, so i gotta get something better.

Plasticman
10-26-2001, 10:16 PM
Mine is hooked up to a pair of 6ft Nuance main speakers, and 3 surround. They're Canadian made, so if you're American, you may not have heard of them. They're powerful! I can crank my system, and put out practically no distortion. Cool thing about Nuance, is that they have a unusual lifetime gaurantee. This covers party damages, or intentional damages. So I could kick the crap out of them, and return them for repairs or replacement, or drop them out a window.

Oh, and my cables are DH Labs Silver Sonics.

Marc
10-26-2001, 10:56 PM
I have a 32 inch Toshiba TV, not HDTV or anything, but it has S-video. It's hooked to a harman karden AVR 310 with a set of DCM KX 212s, DCM center, DCM subwoofer, and two JBL rears. I want to get an HDTV, but those **** things are expensive. There is a place in the stand reserved for an xbox, cords already attached to the receiver and everything.

Dan Livingston
10-27-2001, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Plasticman
Cool thing about Nuance, is that they have a unusual lifetime gaurantee. This covers party damages, or intentional damages. So I could kick the crap out of them, and return them for repairs or replacement, or drop them out a window.

that sounds tight! send me a link to their web page please.

Plasticman
10-27-2001, 01:29 AM
There's one drawback to Nuance, is that they don't advertise. They gain their popularity through the word. This is how they're able to afford the repairs and replacements. My pal has returned his several times this year. I don't know how they stay in business???? You can only get them at International Stereo(Canada).

The harmonics are incredible! Their cost runs pretty high as well. A 6ft pair with woofer and surround, can cost you up to $4500CDN. Are they loud? Very! I don't play them loud though. The weird thing about them is that they're not set up through wattage. The magnets in them are huge!! The power of these speakers all depends on the power of your amp.

Here's a link to IS's site: http://www.internationalstereo.com/, you can email them for more information.

SeTH
10-27-2001, 11:00 AM
I have a PHILIPS Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound w/350 watts and I have a PHILIPS 25" Component video tv.

Red[or]Dead
10-27-2001, 11:49 AM
small room =small tv....:(

I WISH THERE WAS A VGA ADAPTER
that would be really cool:cool: :cool: :cool:

Plasticman
10-27-2001, 02:49 PM
I agree. I probably wouldn't even use my stereo system for games. I'd much rather play games in the comfort of my room with my "14 TV and mini speakers. The res looks more rich on a small tv anyway.

kboy
10-27-2001, 05:37 PM
pretty bland...

5 yr-old 32" sony tube. a 2 yr-old toshiba dd/dts receiver with six speakers from klh. i am using these for dvds, mostly at the moment.

eman
10-27-2001, 06:29 PM
Just call it THE GREEN ROOM

Jason1010
10-28-2001, 07:42 PM
lol u bastards make me feel poor :D i only have a 25 inch tv that is mono and its still pretty cool but i have to get a job darnit!!! i want a 56 inch hdtv that i saw but its way way to expensive... oh well... :(

Xbox M.D.
10-28-2001, 11:47 PM
Do I need an HDTV to use the High Definition A/V Pack? I mean, c'mon my TV has component video inputs, isn't that all I need?:confused:

Plasticman
10-29-2001, 12:48 AM
That's all I'll be using for my box. I don't see the purpose in hooking it up to a super system?? Could you imagine the power bill???? Bad enough when I watch a few movies and play a few songs, never mind 6hrs of gaming.

l Maximus l
10-29-2001, 11:24 AM
Plasticman...come on, dude! The power bill won't be THAT much more...You gotta get the hook-up! This is the most innovative system on the planet! It deserves the best...

I'm almost considering installing a 6 person hot tob in my XBox equiped room ;) Just kidding...:D

-Max

Plasticman
10-29-2001, 02:34 PM
Nope, my system is a bigtime power hog! My power bill went up $32 after I got it, and I only use it to watch a couple movies a week, and listen to some tunes once in a while( I usually use my Nomad Jukebox).

I don't feel like forking out that kind of cash when I can be using it for buying more games. Plus, I have the 32" TV in the livingroom, and games don't look nearly as good on it compared to my 14". Maybe I'll try it out once a month.

l Maximus l
10-29-2001, 03:51 PM
Man, I went to Best Buy yesterday and started drooling when I saw one of those new Plasma TVs! I can hardly believe that it had a $7000.00 price tag! But, man...could you imagine the XBox on that bad boy!??! That would be seriously tight!

I will just settle with my 36" Stereo Toshiba T.V. which is going to be attached to a soon-to-be surround sound stereo in it's seperate, designated room...I've decided to call the XBox room: "The Box" and I may even place an XBox window decal on the glass french doors! Most excellent :D

-Max

Hugh_Jass
10-31-2001, 10:09 PM
DLP projector with a ten foot screen

Dolby Digital 5.1 / DTS

Check out the pix at:
http://www.cinemamaximus.com/PicturesComplete.htm

l Maximus l
10-31-2001, 10:21 PM
Hugh_Jass...is anyone else worthy of such a fine system as yours? You caught me foaming from my mouth! Daaaaayyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnn!!!

Nice, dude!

PARTY AT HUGH_JASS's HOUSE!!!! :D

-Max

scarecrow kfj
11-01-2001, 08:51 AM
Man that is a nice set up. I will cook if I can come over and play. You must either have a great job a wife with a great job some loving parents or a **** good hook up. Man how can I be down.

l Maximus l
11-01-2001, 11:54 AM
If I had a room like that, I would definately put pictures of it on the internet, too! Man, that room is tight!

-Max

Hugh_Jass
11-01-2001, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. I've been salivating over the thought of XBox on the big screen for many months. If you can make it to Minnesota you're welcome to join me! :D

Yes, my wife is very understanding when it comes to my hobbies. At least she always knows where I am, right?

l Maximus l
11-01-2001, 12:47 PM
Hugh...if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

And, maybe I should have your wife talk with my wife :D

I have a seperate room in my house that I am ready to gear up...but, it may be a long time before I can get a set up like that one. Your room is tight!

SeTH
11-01-2001, 05:20 PM
hey Hugh_jass you might want to check out if your projector will not be ruined by XBOX (It warns people about hooking up your XBOX to projectors/projector tvs and it says to call the manufacture of your projector to make sure the XBOX will not ruin it) Other than that if it won't ruin your projector you will be liv'in large (or you may end up putting XBOX on a 13" tv) I hope you don't have to do that! I'm crossing my fingers that it will work!!!:D :cool: :confused:

l Maximus l
11-01-2001, 05:23 PM
Man, if his set-up works, that will be clutch! I think he deserves a serious round of applaus!

Hugh_Jass
11-01-2001, 10:07 PM
I don't see how the XBox could ruin the projector but I'll try to limit my gaming sessions to 48 hours or less just to be safe. ;)

I'm 34, Maximus.

Marc
11-01-2001, 10:49 PM
Hugh_Jass, that is ****ing amazing!

Sonyman
11-02-2001, 01:02 AM
Sorry to disappoint you Hugh_Jass, but if you have ever heard of "burn-in" effect, you would not be hooking up your X-BOX to your DLP. Then again, if you are a true hardcore gamer, there shouldn't be any problem to have to spend another $10,000 to buy another DLP projector.;)
Best display to play the X-Box would be with a Monitor or a High Definition TV. This will eliminate the scan lines that occur on regular TVs.

Sony 36" WEGA HDTV
Integra DTR 7.1 receiver
Energy Encore Speaker Package
Palisar recliner & ottomen

Rancey
11-02-2001, 05:15 AM
Hugh_Jass> This is off xbox.com

Some televisions, especially front- or rear-projection TVs, can be damaged if any video games, including Xbox games, are played on them. Consult your television owner's manual to determine if video games can be played safely on your television set. If you are unable to find this information in the owner's manual, contact your television dealer or the manufacturer to determine if video games can be played safely on your set

scarecrow kfj
11-02-2001, 09:47 AM
I dont think you will have a problem with the projector. On projection tvs it is the screen you have the problems with. My friend has been playing his P2 on a proxima and has had no problems

l Maximus l
11-02-2001, 11:32 AM
Hugh_Jass...man, I'm 26 and I can gaurantee you, when I turn 34, I will be more of a gamer than I am now (if that were humanly possible). It's great to have you here in the asylum!

I will have to admit, I have never seen a console play on such a set-up...with a projection TV and all... I, seriously, hope it works and that you won't have any problems. I think it would be wise, of course, to consult with the manufacturer before it ruins your very impressive set-up.

l Maximus l
11-02-2001, 12:01 PM
Well, I think I found my surround-sound system I want. I think I'm going to lay it all out there and buy a Bose system!

I have my 36" Toshiba Stereo TV...I saw a sweet Toshiba Amplifier/Receiver that I will eventually pick up to power my future Bose system. I am also debating on purchasing the amazing black leather couch...three/four seater (depending on how big your ass is - hehe)...but, I normally play with two buddies...we're in good shape...lol...so, no problems there....but, I think it's important to have enough "breathing" room to play. All I know is that my new room is going to seriously rock! It's now called "The Box"

-Max :p

Hugh_Jass
11-05-2001, 11:50 AM
I did some research and found that DLP projectors produce an image by reflecting light from a continuously rotating color wheel via 750,000+ microscopic mirrors. The color projected on the screen is determined by the angle of the mirror. There is nothing to burn-in on a DLP projector.

This is different from CRT-based rear or front projection TV or a three-beam ceiling-mounted projector, which rely on tubes to produce an image. A regular television is similarly at risk, though perhaps less so because the replacement cost is less.

So on 11/15 I imagine I'll be sitting in the recliner grunting Tim Allen style. :)

l Maximus l
11-05-2001, 12:05 PM
Hugh_Jass...so, are you saying that it will work?

mattcoxonline
11-05-2001, 02:05 PM
Everyone should have Surround Sound, esp if youre gonna get halo.....
In a UK Computer mag Edge you get a free book bout Sound in computer games and it says it is worth investing in a surround sound kit......

In halo you can hear people coming up behind you and people breathing with different sound levels for each individual sound, like other people, guns and everything.....

Slash10
11-05-2001, 02:31 PM
52" Sony with surround sound and all kinds of fun gadgets. Two couches with recliners and drink holders in between them. A nice coffee table to put other things and i'm ready go. If only there was a toilet built in.......

l Maximus l
11-05-2001, 03:42 PM
D a m n, Slash...nice set up! Party at your house!!!:D

Hugh_Jass
11-06-2001, 11:52 AM
Yes, Maximus, it will work with no problems whatsoever. I'm even going to run it through the video scaler to smooth out the graphics a bit.

11/15 can't come soon enough!

l Maximus l
11-06-2001, 12:07 PM
Hugh...That's great to hear!! Man, you have such a great set-up! Probably the most impressive, atleast to me, compared to everyone else on this so far. And, that's a great compliment due to the fact that there are some very impressive set-ups that our fellow XBox-gamers have! .....You have to admit...you gotta appreciate the comradery in here!