PDA

View Full Version : Memory Card or Hard Drive



Dr X
07-12-2002, 03:58 PM
What do you use, Memory card or your Hard drive?
I use my hard drive, i dont see the point of buying a card when i've got a huge big hard drive to use.

Is their any advantages of using a card apart from taking the card to a mate's house and loading the game on there xbox?

You can do that can't you?, I havent tried yet as all my freinds have ps2's.

And yes before you say it. They are all thick

Dre
07-12-2002, 04:04 PM
Nope, basically the memory cards only functionality is saved-game backups and the ability to bring your saved-games over to a buddies place.

whoadae
07-12-2002, 04:31 PM
Just for the ablility to take saves to a buddies house.

Zion
07-12-2002, 05:17 PM
I use the hard drive, then copy them to my card for backup.

Reclaimer
07-12-2002, 09:50 PM
I have to agree with the above. I bought a mem card just to transport my WWF Raw created fighters to a buddies house. But I traded in Raw for THPS3, so my mem card has no real purpose anymore. Maybe until Raw 2 or something like that.

Tkf5000
07-12-2002, 10:03 PM
yea i do it too. its helpful. for example one time my friend got stuck on spider-man. he brought his mem card over instead of carrying his xbox around.

Snapple
07-12-2002, 10:45 PM
its been said before

nope,the memory card is just to tke your saved games to your friends house

smack119
07-12-2002, 10:49 PM
i like to back up stuff on my cards....i got 2 of them for free so i use them. that way if anything ever happened to my xbox i would still have some of my saves. plus we have 2 xbox's in my house so sometimes i transfer stuff between them

Snapple
07-13-2002, 11:34 AM
does the memory card hold the same ammount of space as the hard drive

Cow
07-13-2002, 11:47 AM
First, let's get this straight. Memory Cards if featured on GameCube, PlayStation, & PlayStation 2. VMU (Visual Memory Unit) was featured for Dreamcast. And now the MU (for dummies, Memory Unit) is featured on Xbox. But that's off-topic. Anyways, I own the MU, and right at this point I am not afraid to say it's "pointless". It won't be pointless soon though (because many people around my house are purchasing Xbox's within the next three months). And as I read about, NO! The Xbox's MU is not even close to the Hardrive. It's only 502 blocks. Now the Hardrive has 50,000+. Also, the MU looks pretty cool in your controller. ;)

Sleazy P Martini
07-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by xboxfan38
does the memory card hold the same ammount of space as the hard drive
:eek: No it doesn't, not by a long shot.

Young_Fledgling
07-13-2002, 01:17 PM
i use hard drive and i think i always will.... it is huge... i got 4 cds of music on there and like 23 games with lots of saves and it still has TONS.... i love that hard drive.

Tkf5000
07-14-2002, 12:19 PM
i have like 15 cds on it and probly about 65 different games on there.plus all the crated levels i made in dave mirra and tony hawk 2x and tony hawk 3(rented). mine hasent gone down. and its not going to for a while.

Highlite23
07-15-2002, 02:31 AM
I'll have to chime in with the others, i use it as a back up.;)

TIME
07-16-2002, 01:26 PM
There is one other use for the MU...I own two Xboxes and I use the MU to transfer saves between my two hard drives. :D

Tkf5000
07-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by TIME
There is one other use for the MU...I own two Xboxes and I use the MU to transfer saves between my two hard drives. :D
i trade files with my friend on a memory unit but i think you can trade files with a system link. thatd be easier.

lllSmokelll
07-16-2002, 03:00 PM
i have a memory card but dont use it

snoboarder863
07-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Well, a couple months ago I heard somewhere that Microsoft was thinking about selling a piece of hardware that would plug into your USB port on the back of your computer and your memory card would plug into it. This would allow people to download and upload saved games and created parks or other crap onto their memory cards. Of course there hasn't been an offcial announcement or anything but that may be one of the main reasons Microsoft even brought out memory cards. And no I don't remember where I saw this so don't ask for a link.

Tkf5000
07-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by snoboarder863
Well, a couple months ago I heard somewhere that Microsoft was thinking about selling a piece of hardware that would plug into your USB port on the back of your computer and your memory card would plug into it. This would allow people to download and upload saved games and created parks or other crap onto their memory cards. Of course there hasn't been an offcial announcement or anything but that may be one of the main reasons Microsoft even brought out memory cards. And no I don't remember where I saw this so don't ask for a link.
first of all welcome to xba. but why wouldnt it just plug into your xbox? waht if the game doesnt support memory units, like halo? and if microsoft doesnt make it im sure a third party developer will make one.

Nas
07-17-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Tkf5000
i have like 15 cds on it and probly about 65 different games on there.plus all the crated levels i made in dave mirra and tony hawk 2x and tony hawk 3(rented). mine hasent gone down. and its not going to for a while.

damn, you have 15 cds on there? that is probably what...75,000-80,000 blocks? does it still say 50,000+ available? if so...ddddaaaaammmmnnnnn....