PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Make you Stupid???

Slacker
07-13-2002, 02:13 AM
Okay not stupid but may have negative effects on your brain......but TV doesn't???? strange to me..... it seems Games would have a better affect due to Eye Hand cordination and Problem solving skills,,,,anyway I thought it was interesting

Japanese Study Finds
Negative Correlation Between
Playing Games, Brain Activity
GamaSutra.com
7-11-2

The Mainichi Daily News in Japan reported that a professor at Nihon University has concluded that playing videogames for extended periods of time may cause a shift in brain waves, which may become permanent in hardcore players.

The study, conducted by by professor Akio Mori of the university's College of Humanities and Sciences, suggests a negative correlation between the length of time a game is played and activity shown in the prefrontal region of their brains -- the portion of the brain which governs emotion and creativity. More disturbing was the fact that the researchers did not see a recovery in prefrontal brain activity after hardcore gamers stopped playing.

The study analyzed 240 people in the 6-29 age group, and measured their brain waves. Mori found that the beta wave activity (which indicate an actively engaged brain, and show up when a person is involved in a conversation or is engaged in work) decreased while people played games, but usually rebounded after playing stopped. However, in hardcore videogame players (those who spent 2-7 hours per day playing), beta wave activity was constantly near zero even when they were not playing, showing that they hardly used the prefrontal regions of their brains. In other words, after continued time playing videogames, the decrease in prefrontal brain activity seems to become chronic. "I want people to be aware of the quality of games and the time young people spend playing them during their earlier years when sentiment develops," Mori said of the results. "Many videogames stir up tension and a feeling of fear, and there is concern that this could have an effect on the autonomic nerves," Mori said. "During childhood, playing outside with friends, not videogames, is the best option."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/industry_news_display.php?story=1265

also can be found here

http://www.rense.com/general27/japanesestudygames.htm

also Rense,com is a great place to see whats happen in the world

Justin
07-13-2002, 12:25 PM
bull..I'm pretty sure that "hardcore gamers" still are creative and emotional..

Alien
07-13-2002, 12:50 PM
"If you play a game everyday it causes your brain to be more dumber. It affects your grades on your report cards and your grades will be more lower. It happen to a girl who likes to play games everyday. Its best if you stop playing the games and study all day long. :( "

This is what someone else wrote on another forum...

Yeah! You're going to become "more dumber". And your grades will become "more lower".

lllSmokelll
07-13-2002, 01:09 PM
im smart :eek:

sinizuh
07-13-2002, 02:12 PM
HEY MA! THEM FLASHY PICTUERS ARE WERY PRETT!!1 I A RECKON! :confused: :rolleyes:

btw, pc users are stupider that mac users ;)

Snapple
07-13-2002, 02:13 PM
sssssssssspppppppppppppp dont tell anyone

video games mak you constapated :(

my brother used to play video games on school nights and it affectide his grades

Alien
07-13-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by xboxfan38
my brother used to play video games on school nights and it affectide his grades Or maybe that's just sleep deprivation...from staying up all night instead of resting and getting the proper amount of rest your body needs...

Snapple
07-13-2002, 02:46 PM
o well i hate him anyway

whoadae
07-13-2002, 03:07 PM
i um no dumb. lol. Everything makes you stupid. Getting old makes you stupider, eating cheetos kills brain cells. Who cares.

Alien
07-13-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by whoadae
i um no dumb. lol. Everything makes you stupid. Getting old makes you stupider, eating cheetos kills brain cells. Who cares. And we all know what drinking Mountain Dew does....:D

Calve
07-14-2002, 12:46 AM
lol

well u sure do:D

Highlite23
07-15-2002, 01:37 AM
My parents used to tell me..."If your born an apple you'll die an apple"

Explination, if your a little slow, you just are, games, movies and music are not the cause.

I play a ton, and i can still manage to be a succesfull freelance photographer, and run my own bussiness.

Studies like these just make me laugh.:rolleyes:

y2kash_14
07-15-2002, 01:39 AM
dats not trew! veedo games make meeh reed guhd! :eek: