PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Has No Pulse

Plasticman
10-25-2001, 11:37 PM
I think they're dead. I've just seen a GameCube commercial, and though it sucked, it's still a commercial. I predict Microsoft will show the Xbox commercials 2 minutes before the Xbox launches, like they did with XP. Only instead of playing Ray of Light, they'll play Crash And Burn by Savage Garden. Take your time guys, there's no rush, Xbox is only 2.5 weeks away. On Nov. 15th, I'll upgrade my PC.

Plasticman
10-26-2001, 12:11 AM
I'd really like to know wtf they are doing over there???? Are they asleep? When you say more games for you, does that mean they won't sell??

I guess M has become very inflated. I suppose they think they can advertise whenever and still come on top?? I say, fire the whole Xbox team, and rebuild it with guys who are serious gamers, and serious about kicking ass. Not a group of Vikings moping around the high seas with their sail down.

I'm still getting an Xbox, but I'm rather annoyed with how they're handling the Xbox publicity like an OS.

Plasticman
10-26-2001, 12:24 AM
I see your point. It was my thought as well, but when you have several GameCube fanatic saying that Xbox has no money for marketing, it becomes quite aggrivating. Helps if I read!

Btw Jeremy, did you see that Rallisport Challenge video I posted??

scarecrow kfj
10-26-2001, 09:21 AM
Well lets see. hmmmm I see xbox on taco bell comer. it dosnt do much justice but repetative showings creates a market. Also in several gaming mags there are advertisements. Also xbox will be in the next issue of GQ. granted it is a slow start but it is out there. Also with all the talk and word of mouth there dosnt need to be much. GCN needs to be put out there a bit more since it has been quiet during this whole time. Plus whats the point to advertise when all the preorders keep getting baught up? no one will be able to get one for some time any how.

Melt
10-26-2001, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Plasticman
I'd really like to know wtf they are doing over there???? Are they asleep? [....]

I think two things are going on...one, they're still waiting (attention spans are pretty short nowadays)...and two, they don't want to overhype it, and end up with problems like the PS2 launch had. I think that the major push will be around the Christmas buying season, and advertisement over the next month or so will be pretty subdued. I base this on a conversation overheard with a guy working for the folks who are doing MS's marketing (TMG, I think). He made these points -- that MS absolutely does not want to overhype, that they learned from the PS2 launch debacle, and that the main thrust will come near Christmas. Right now, they're going to be satisfied to have a smooth launch and get a fair %age of the hard-core gamers. They'll target the casual ones around Xmas.

SquirrelJam
10-26-2001, 10:55 AM
Great points, Melt and Jeremy.

Melt, I like what you said about the possible de-emphasis on launch and more of a focus on a successful holiday season as a whole. This makes clear sense to me.

Total xbox success will not be defined by a one-time event. Success is not a one-time thing, it's an ongoing endeavor.

Don't get me wrong. Launch day is important and will be the kick-off in an important first game of a whole successful season.

Sony failed with their kickoff. They then fumbled the ball, couldn't come up with the goods, the fans were mad, everyone got penalized and they never quite recovered. They had no game plan.

All Sony did in the beginning was talk trash about how great they were and then dropped the ball when push came to shove; an embarrassing debacle, to say the least.

Anyway, I think you're on to something. Secretly, I'd like to have a quiet launch, for selfish reasons. I want to make sure that I get an xbox on Launch-day. ;)

Sachile_
10-26-2001, 11:16 AM
LOL the only advertising i have seen it the little thingys on shopning carts at wallmart they have that big green X and comming nov. 15 Mick-row-soft better bet working =)

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 11:39 AM
Dude! Where is the Rallisport video? I have to check this out!

-Max

Melt
10-26-2001, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by SquirrelJam
Melt, I like what you said about the possible de-emphasis on launch and more of a focus on a successful holiday season as a whole. This makes clear sense to me.

[....] Secretly, I'd like to have a quiet launch, for selfish reasons. I want to make sure that I get an xbox on Launch-day. ;)

Yup. Makes for better odds at Taco Bell, too. :)

SquirrelJam
10-26-2001, 02:08 PM
The link to the RalliSport vid is located in another thread.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1771

I've a little trouble getting this ftp properly. I just went for it now (lo res). I have 2hrs and 43mn left in my downlaod.

l Maximus l
10-26-2001, 02:12 PM
Thanks Squirrel...how can I download this instead of playing it from the internet?

kboy
10-27-2001, 05:45 PM
if the xp launch is any indication of how microsoft's marketing works, we will probably start seeing xbox commercials about a week before the launch. however, in xbox's case, its launch was delayed a week, so it could be 11/1, maybe.

vash the stampede
10-27-2001, 08:03 PM
that is odd that u say no adds, cause in the last week i have seen x-box on tv about 6 or 7 times. and they got an add for it in game spy arcade, that's a good idea.

Plasticman
10-27-2001, 08:05 PM
I said Xbox commercials, not Taco Bell, and not Tech TV crap! An Xbox commercial.

vash the stampede
10-28-2001, 09:48 AM
okay, how can i make it more clear... I... HAVE.... SEEN... X-BOX... ADDDDDDDSSSS... ON..... TV...JUST X-BOX...!

Pimpn419
10-28-2001, 07:06 PM
What?!?! Did somebody say something about the xbox being delayed a week?

-Matt

l Maximus l
10-29-2001, 11:31 AM
Well, fellow gamers...I haven't pre-ordered my XBox yet because I plan on doing the camping thing....but, I DID pre-order Halo and Amped last weekend!

I actually went to Toys R' Us for the first time last weekend...and I, unfortunately, was caught with an unpleasant surprise. The kioske was in bad shape...it was playing demos but about every 5 seconds, it would freeze for about 3 seconds, and then go back to normal. This got really annoying.

I actually got to play the demo for Munch's Oddeysee....It was great! I learned to get past the glitches and tried focussing my attention on the game...I realize that this was a demo, but, a great demonstration of how cool this game is going to be.

I noticed XBoxAddict adding an update saying that the kiosks were accidentally messed up...This was good news to me as I was, admittingly, a little worried about the finished product. Whew!

I'm still more pumped than ever about the XBox on November 15th!!!! I also held the controllers for the first time....It was like a taste of heaven in my hands! PERFECT FIT!!!!!!! I'm diggin' this!

Plasticman
10-29-2001, 02:35 PM
You may want to be careful, we don't even know how many units we're getting.

l Maximus l
10-29-2001, 03:54 PM
Plastic...who were you referring to in your previous post? If it was me, what do you mean?

-Max

Plasticman
10-30-2001, 07:29 AM
I meant that if you're camping out, the amount of units we get could be enough to just fill prebooks, making the camp-out useless. Unless you're camping out to get your preorder?

The way the store works where I filled my prebook, is on a first on the list basis. So basically, Xbox units will be put aside for the first group of people that signed their names on the list. So I'll be getting an Xbox, as I'm 5th on the list. They'll only hold it for a week though.

I waited in line for 5hrs for Phantom Menace tickets, only to be disappointed. I did camp out for Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Heck, I still got he tent we used that day. Oh, those were the days.

l Maximus l
10-30-2001, 11:16 AM
Plasticman...Oh, I see what you meant.

However, I work part-time at an Electronics Store that does not take pre-orders. They will have between 9 and 20 in stock which will be available on November 15th. It's first come first serve...and the best thing about this deal is that I get a 10% discount! I'll save $30 and put it towards some of the badest vids ever created :D

The store is called "Fred Meyer"...I think this is only a West Coast company...it's kind of like an upscaled Wal-Mart. I work in the Electronics department and I think I work the night before November 15th...so, I'll just stick around and camp all night and be first in line! It will be cold, but, worth the all-night wait. Could be fun...I just need to bring a cooler filled with beer and lay out a few GC and PS2 posters to urinate on :D

-Max

MensurB
10-30-2001, 12:04 PM
I can't believe you guys are really camping out!!!
My parents would kill me if they knew I would do that, they would call me crazy or something. Anyways, don't you have friends at Best Buy ot Circuit City or something, my friend at Best Buy(the manager) will hold one for me.

MensurB
X

MensurB
B

MensurB
10-30-2001, 12:05 PM
O

l Maximus l
10-30-2001, 01:08 PM
MensurB...Wow, you have a great hook-up! Most excellent...

For some lame reason, as an employee, I cannot hold an XBox for anyone, which includes myself...it's some stupid store policy. So, I have to come in as a *customer* so I am simply going to hang out in line all night so I can be one of the first in line. It will be worth it...I haven't done anything like this since I did this waiting for the Nirvana Unplugged CD back in the day...and that was a great time!

Standing in line with fellow XBox maniacs should be great! We can just talk about how great the games are and stuff, what they are planning on buying, etc... It definately will be cool...

-Max

pamcur
10-31-2001, 09:00 PM
According to the press release...

Sept 21 Announcement (http://www.xbox.com/News/0109/2101.htm)

Also, if anyone is on Live Journal (http://www.livejournal.com) , there's an Xbox community (http://www.livejournal.com/community/microsoft_xbox/)

I am such a geek :rolleyes:

Plasticman
10-31-2001, 11:33 PM
Nope, that's incorrect Pamcur. It's staes that many through the holiday season, meaning during the Christmas days, not launch. If they were able to produce that many units on the launch, they'd be able to launch it on Nov 8th with the promised amount.

l Maximus l
11-01-2001, 12:21 PM
Man...could you imagine being in the same room with 1.2 Million XBoxes? Not to sound too crude here...but, I would roll around naked in them if I could :D

pamcur
11-01-2001, 02:18 PM
They delayed the launch to ensure they could deliver. I think the entire gaming industry learned from the PS2 launch fiasco.

Gammer4Life
11-01-2001, 02:52 PM
:D Yea he is right, I also have seen xbox sponsering some motoXtreme game competetion on tv. They had all kinds of logos,banners,hay bails with xbox covers everywhere. I have to admit my attention was drawn to all of the Xbox advertisements in the exibetion. (how ever you spell that?)

pamcur
11-01-2001, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy-XBA
Welcome to the Asylum pamcur! Hope you enjoy your visits!;)

Thanks Jeremy... lots of awesome info so far :D