PDA

View Full Version : Headphone suggestions?

tennyson
07-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Since I've had my XBox, there have been times where I found myself in the wee hours of the night playing games. That being said, I obviously couldn't turn the volume up very loud. Regardless, I started wearing headphones and now I'm addicted. The sound is even better than through my speakers! Everything is crisper, more intense, and the volume can go as high as I want.

My question is this: do you know of any headphones out there that support DD 5.1? I'm looking to buy a new pair, but they can get really expensive, and I dson't want to overdo it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

l Maximus l
07-15-2002, 02:29 PM
It would be impossible for headphones to provide true 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. There's only two speakers.

Dre
07-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
It would be impossible for headphones to provide true 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. There's only two speakers.

Nothings impossible, only not done yet!! Thats my philosophy with electronics :D

I remember seeing some headphones developed specifically with Xbox and sound-positioning in mind. I can't remember the thread name or poster, but it wasn't too long ago. If it pops up, I'll point you to it!

On the other hand, Maximus, I'm finally on XBConnect, we should hook up some time and have a fragfest.

l Maximus l
07-15-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Dre
On the other hand, Maximus, I'm finally on XBConnect, we should hook up some time and have a fragfest.

Hey, Dre! By the way, I may say today that XBConnect is the way and is my forte!

hehe...Okay, seriously...that would be sweet! Let me know when you want to team up or go head to head :D I'm open today!

Dre
07-15-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Hey, Dre! By the way, I may say today that XBConnect is the way and is my forte!

hehe...Okay, seriously...that would be sweet! Let me know when you want to team up or go head to head :D I'm open today!

lol, sounds good to me! I'll be getting back from work later on tonight, maybe we can hook up then. Anyone else reading this should try finding us too. Get ourselves a little XBA action going..

l Maximus l
07-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Dre

lol, sounds good to me! I'll be getting back from work later on tonight, maybe we can hook up then. Anyone else reading this should try finding us too. Get ourselves a little XBA action going..

Doh!!!

Dude, I'm so sorry...I completely forgot. I disconnected my cable service this morning because I'm getting DSL instead. Faster upload speed so playing on-line is better! It will be up in 5 days.

UltimateAg
07-15-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by tennyson
Since I've had my XBox, there have been times where I found myself in the wee hours of the night playing games. That being said, I obviously couldn't turn the volume up very loud. Regardless, I started wearing headphones and now I'm addicted. The sound is even better than through my speakers! Everything is crisper, more intense, and the volume can go as high as I want.

My question is this: do you know of any headphones out there that support DD 5.1? I'm looking to buy a new pair, but they can get really expensive, and I dson't want to overdo it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I totally agree with your assessment tennyson. You can hear every single minute detail of sound with headphones. The ONLY downfall for using headphones is the lack of bass, which is why I still use my 5.1 setup for normal gameplay. I have a pair of Sennheiser's that cost more than my xbox did! And even though it is not true 5.1 I'm still able to differentiate between front left and front rear during Halo games, because the sound stage for these headphones is soo nice.

My suggestion would be to check out this site. http://www.goodcans.com/

The articles and ratings are from an audiophile point of view so they're really critical and fair from my experience. Good luck.

DrUnKtAnK
07-15-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by tennyson

Linky, Link (http://gamers.com/news/1190113)
..."Though real Dolby 5.1 surround sound is normally possible only with an elaborate speaker setup, Pioneer will soon release a set of digital cordless headphones that conform to the 5.1 standard, and they're doing it with Xbox users in mind. The SE-XB1 recreates 5.1 channels of sound with just the two headphones, and has passed standards testing by Dolby labs. Pioneer chose the Xbox brand, which is emblazoned upon the transmitter section, due to its heavy support of the Dolby 5.1 sound not just in its DVD playback but in many of its games as well. The SE-XB1 will be released in Japan this September, with no announced American release yet."

http://fantasynascarleague.com/images/xbox/headphones.jpg

wweomaniac
07-15-2002, 05:46 PM
Dang Drunk... I was just gonna say go here: http://www.gamers.com/news/1190113

I just found them... oh well... read it if you want more information.

DrUnKtAnK
07-15-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
Dang Drunk... I was just gonna say go here: http://www.gamers.com/news/1190113

I just found them... oh well... read it if you want more information.

We have been real close on a lot of things......I don't know what's it been lately, seems these boards are getting a little slow....or everyone's outside...were I should be...:)

BCan
07-16-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by UltimateAg

...... I'm still able to differentiate between front left and front rear during Halo games, because the sound stage for these headphones is soo nice.

My suggestion would be to check out this site. http://www.goodcans.com/

Front Left and Front Rear?

Where is the front rear?!

UltimateAg
07-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by BCan

Front Left and Front Rear?

Where is the front rear?!

My bad, you obviously know what I meant. :)

Slacker
07-16-2002, 01:34 PM
I like Sony Studio Monitors for Headphones running through my Teac , w0rks finr for me, although the Xbox headphones look awesome, also the Xbox TV's sound cool too ,

Snoopy7548
07-16-2002, 01:38 PM
i just saw a commercial on tv. and it was for a pair of sony headphones. and they said that it like produced true 5.1 surround or whatever.