PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a wireless router?

swing007
07-16-2002, 12:29 PM
I want to set up my Xbox online so I can have some online fun... I have a widescreen downstair but my computer is upstairs. I could bring the Xbox upstair to a smaller TV but who wants to do that?

Has anyone used gamespy or xbconnect with a wireless router? Does it work well? Does anyone have a suggestion on the best wireless setup? How much would it cost? I have Verizon DSL and XP.

Zion
07-16-2002, 02:59 PM
I don't use wireless personally at home, but it will work fine. You will need the wireless router which runs $200-$250, then some access points at about $150 each.

What we do at work is use a wireless NIC card and a central access point. Works like a charm! We have about a 500 foot range on them in our plant, so you won't have a problem in the house.

swing007
07-16-2002, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the reply... I will look into it...

DrUnKtAnK
07-16-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by swing007
I want to set up my Xbox online so I can have some online fun... I have a widescreen downstair but my computer is upstairs. I could bring the Xbox upstair to a smaller TV but who wants to do that?

Has anyone used gamespy or xbconnect with a wireless router? Does it work well? Does anyone have a suggestion on the best wireless setup? How much would it cost? I have Verizon DSL and XP.

How far is your pc to your xbox (in feet)?

swing007
07-16-2002, 03:11 PM
I would say about 30-40 feet... I have my computer in an upstairs room. The widescreens downstairs 1 flight. So 15' in the upstairs room... 3 feet for the hallway.... 15' feet straight down for the stairway... the stairway is open and you can look down into it from the second floor... WHY?

DrUnKtAnK
07-16-2002, 03:23 PM
I would say about 30-40 feet... I have my computer in an upstairs room. The widescreens downstairs 1 flight. So 15' in the upstairs room... 3 feet for the hallway.... 15' feet straight down for the stairway... the stairway is open and you can look down into it from the second floor... WHY?

I have a similar setup, I was going to suggest just making or buying your own 50' of cat5 cable and just lay it down on the floor to your downstairs area to plug into your xbox (or drill a couple of small holes or run it through your air vents). It's a lot cheaper than going the wireless route.

Don't get me wrong it would be a nice setup, but you still need to get to your computer while using XBconnect and/or Gamespy to join games, chat, etc.

When your done gaming, unplug the cat5 cable and throw it back upstairs for when you connect online again.

Now when Xbox Live comes out, the service will be completely independent, no need to actually use your pc to connect and join games, etc.

Just some ideas....

p.s. - welcome to XBA :)

swing007
07-16-2002, 03:29 PM
DrUnKtAnK thanks for the reply and the welcome... I'm a frequent flyer over at TXB but have problems accessing there BB. I thought of that work around but my chick will have a fit if I have a bunch of cable lying around... I think I might have to suck it up and move my Xbox upstairs next to the computer until Live is launch and then I will spend the money for wireless...
Thanks again

DrUnKtAnK
07-16-2002, 03:38 PM
DrUnKtAnK thanks for the reply and the welcome... I'm a frequent flyer over at TXB but have problems accessing there BB. I thought of that work around but my chick will have a fit if I have a bunch of cable lying around... I think I might have to suck it up and move my Xbox upstairs next to the computer until Live is launch and then I will spend the money for wireless...
Thanks again

No prob man, just try to help out a fellow gamer....

Hey who knows, the wireless setup most likely will drop in price before or after this holiday season. That might be a good time to purchase your wireless accessories :D

Let me know if you need any direction on what type of wireless equipment and some suggestions on where to shop, etc.

Have a good one.