PDA

View Full Version : A weird thing about copying burned CDs on the Xbox

Nas
07-16-2002, 11:33 PM
Alright, I tried to copy a burned cd my friend gave me on the xbox one day. It didn't work, so i pretty much assumed it wouldn't read any burned cd. Then I tried a different brand of CD, and it read the CD. But for some reason, that is the ONLY burned it has ever recognized! It won't read ANY other burned cd i try! they are the same thing and everything! whats up with that?

xboxray
07-16-2002, 11:36 PM
the same thing happened to me

Snake Eyez
07-16-2002, 11:39 PM
Nas do you mean that they are the same brand and that the music is in the same format? Also have you tried CD-RW because people seems to have better luck with those.

Nas
07-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Snake Eyez
Nas do you mean that they are the same brand and that the music is in the same format? Also have you tried CD-RW because people seems to have better luck with those.

Alright, the CD my friend gave me was some brand i ain't ever heard of. But the one CD that DID work on the Xbox is the brand that i have over a 100 CDs of. I always burn all my CDs the same exact way on the same brand of CD, and even some of the songs that were on the CD that worked were on the CDs that didn't work. I'll experiment more though.

Does CD-RW mean CD Re-Writeable? I don't have any of those, but if they work better, i'll pick some up. Thanks man:p

DrUnKtAnK
07-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Nas

Alright, the CD my friend gave me was some brand i ain't ever heard of. But the one CD that DID work on the Xbox is the brand that i have over a 100 CDs of. I always burn all my CDs the same exact way on the same brand of CD, and even some of the songs that were on the CD that worked were on the CDs that didn't work. I'll experiment more though.

Does CD-RW mean CD Re-Writeable? I don't have any of those, but if they work better, i'll pick some up. Thanks man:p

Hey NAS, yes try the CDRW's, you really only need one if you want to import songs into the XBOX. What I do is burn an album or mix to the cdrw and burn it to the box. eject, and repeat. Since it's a re-writable cd you can reuse it over and over again.

Here is 2 sites with lists of media that has been used and tried:
You can find a list here: http://www.berlinlaconia.com/xbox/cdrinfo.htm

And also here:
http://xboxpower.vg-network.com/XBOXCDMediaCompatibility.phtml

Nas
07-17-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by DrUnKtAnK

Hey NAS, yes try the CDRW's, you really only need one if you want to import songs into the XBOX. What I do is burn an album or mix to the cdrw and burn it to the box. eject, and repeat. Since it's a re-writable cd you can reuse it over and over again.

Here is 2 sites with lists of media that has been used and tried:
You can find a list here: http://www.berlinlaconia.com/xbox/cdrinfo.htm

And also here:
http://xboxpower.vg-network.com/XBOXCDMediaCompatibility.phtml

'prrrrrrrrreciate it DrUnKtAnK :p can u buy a CD-RW by itself? Like what i mean can i just go to the store and pick one or two up? Instead of like 50 at once ya know?

Dyslexic Chaos
07-17-2002, 04:08 PM
probably. But the smallest amount I've seen is a 5 pack at my local EB for like 15$ (I'm canadian though). Not to steap for all the use you get though.

Skarp
07-17-2002, 05:01 PM
Is there a point to burning music to the xbox? It seems that no games use the custom music feature anyway.

I wish games did though....some games seriously need it. For example Outlaw Golf.

DBXNY
07-17-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Nas
Alright, I tried to copy a burned cd my friend gave me on the xbox one day. It didn't work, so i pretty much assumed it wouldn't read any burned cd. Then I tried a different brand of CD, and it read the CD. But for some reason, that is the ONLY burned it has ever recognized! It won't read ANY other burned cd i try! they are the same thing and everything! whats up with that?

It's because the X-box wasn't designed to ensure compatibility with either CDRs/CDRWs. However, by chance, some brands will work and some will not.

Zion
07-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Skarp
Is there a point to burning music to the xbox? It seems that no games use the custom music feature anyway.

I wish games did though....some games seriously need it. For example Outlaw Golf.

WHAAAAAAAA???????? ARE YOU NUTS?????

So far I've used the custom soundtrack feature on:
Project Gotham
Dave Mirra 2
Tony Hawk 1 & 2
Rallisport Challenge
Amped
Rallisport
NHL Hitz
Splashdown
Fuzion Frenzy
Moto GP

ALL of these use the custom soundtrack, and I'm sure there are MANY more that I haven't played yet. Sounds like you haven't played any Xbox games, dude.

Zion
07-17-2002, 10:29 PM
You definitely cannot use CDR's. You'll have better luck with CD-RW's, but the best results come with the original CD. If you don't have the original CD, go buy it.

DrUnKtAnK
07-18-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Nas

'prrrrrrrrreciate it DrUnKtAnK :p can u buy a CD-RW by itself? Like what i mean can i just go to the store and pick one or two up? Instead of like 50 at once ya know?

Just to give you an example, Since November 17 2001, I have used one CD/RW for the xbox. That's it.

It's been so long since I bought my last RW, but if you can't buy just one, you may be able to pick a 3 pack up for under 10 bucks....

Memorex, CD-RW, Platinum 650mb (4x)

(I'm still livin in the dark ages, my burner is only 4x...:( )