PDA

View Full Version : Enclave Hopes Are Up...

TZalos
07-19-2002, 02:38 PM
So are you ppl hyped about this Enclave game or what? I read reviews and they say it has the most details of any game out on the XB, I hope this game is everything its hyped out to be. Im looking forward to playing a good, long, hack n slash game, (w/ a female as the hero!) This game kinda reminds me of Draconis that came out on the DC a while back… Anyway, lemmie know what your feeling are on this game, my intuition is good so far…for this game..

wheatus-frog-uk
07-20-2002, 05:50 AM
Well i bought this game yesterday (i live in the UK)

and well i find it AWESOME... however many other peoples opinions varrie... i say rent it first!

thanks

dan

Tinny
07-20-2002, 07:26 AM
Enclave is detailed to a certain degree. Not as good a resolution as Halo, but at a distance, it looks brilliant. I brought it yesterday and I think it's ok. I just needed a game that will last me about a month and Enclave is basically the only one thats new. I'm already in the Divided Cities level in light campaign and I am trying to build up more gold to get my Druid better staffs and my Huntress is my best unit so far.

Anyway:

I found the combat aspects of the game quite irratating and had to switch on and off first person views when I am the Huntress. I work best in first person then third which I mainly use for the Knight. In third person, you need to get comfortable using noth anologue sticks at the same time in a variety of movements aswell as having quick thumbs to bask the buttons. However, you don't have to press the buttons much since movement and attack/guard actions are in the anoluge sticks and trigger buttons. The right trigger button is great when you grab a bow. Hold down and release. Very satisfying.

Graphically it is very gothic and impressive. But don't get too close or it will look like a PS2 game with bad resolutions. The environments are amasing and the water effects are basically on par with Morrowinds'. The characters have fluid movements and look great also. This game has one of the best graphics on the X-Box.

Storyline of the game is quite interesting but nothing really new. The intro opens with a Lord of the Rings story telling (Magic Carpet book thing) and you open (in light campaign) in a sort of easy "mission" type. Also with the added characters for you to choose from as to progress through the campaign aswell as the buying of items or weapons this game has a fairly length storyline even without having the ability to get to play the dark sides.

The gameplay could do with quite a bit of work... the enemy A.I. are ridiculous and certainly should be enhanced. The difficulty of the games doesn't so much rise from the enemy being too smart but the fact that they are so dumb and relentless in their pursuits. You'll ultimately find yourself retreating with your shield up as Orcs move in front of you slashing at you without bothering to flank you. Also the stupid hit points that comes from each blow onto yourself or the enemy are only slight aides to help you measure your opponent. They are distracting and pretty useless when you fire 10 bows into a creature and the hit points can't be read.
Your environment isn't as interactive as you would wish and it seems to be a confused game. Is it a third person slash 'em up or a action RPG? The game tries to be both and fails. All in all, the game has major bad points and it is quite irratating especially when there are no actual save points in the missions so you have to start all over. It's more annoying when you have gathered a full sack of gold only to have it lost because of your death. However it is a very lengthy game with a fun aspect to it. Once you get use to the controls and master a particular character then you will ind yourself more and more involved in the missions. You will buy equipment and gather gold and follow the storyline then replay certain missions again just to do something new. It is a good game, but it would need quite a bit of work before it gets to be a great game. Only buy it if you need a game that will last you for atleast two weeks.

7.8/10

TZalos
07-20-2002, 04:15 PM
Tinny, thx for that excellent and lengthy review, it seems now I am not so hyped to play this, maybe rent it.. But then again, Im a sucker for games w/ decent graphics no matter how flawed, in fact, the flaws in games is what I like! (ironic and twisted as this may sound) SOmetimes tho, the bad games are what we end up enjoying the most, or remembering.. For instance, we may be like 80 year olds talking in a nursing homes about that one game we used to play and the camera always did this when you did that..
Anyway, if this makes sense, then we are on the same wavelength, if not, its just me, Im a 'kooky gamer' (LOL):eek:

Tinny
07-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Thats a good idea. You guys should rent it first (for about a week) and see whether you like it or not. Don't expect too much from the earlier missions though, so try to get onto the later ones. Anyways, I gotta find the Wizard now and got a couple more missions after and I will be completing the Light Campaign. It's quite fun now especially when you can grab the new weapons. Theres quite a few to choose from but you usually find yourself grabbing the most powerful weapons. My Engineer is a fairly decent unit but I need more armour for my Druid. My Knight is so crap I can't be bothered to put his stats up... perhaps I should use a axe instead of a sword for him... my Huntress is still the best and I love the Sniper Arrow things. Oh, and I got a hang of the combat now. Just need to grab bigger shields, thats all. I can take out Orc Berserkers and Goblin Fanatics fairly easy now. Heck, I can take out a Orc Brute fairly easily now.

PS. Whats a "Bastard Sword"? - I want historical references, fantasy or theory.

studepaber
07-22-2002, 08:59 AM
Thank's for the review, sounds like a decent game to at least rent. By the way, how many hours of gameplay does this one have? Are the controls/combat scheme as bad as some reviews hint? I hope this game wont be a letdown :confused:

Spaztic
07-22-2002, 09:26 AM
....well thats kinda depressing....this game looked really cool! I am still going to rent it, hopefully it is all its cracked up to be....honestly with me just aquiring morrowind I haven't had much time or want to play anything else!

Tinny
07-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by studepaber
Thank's for the review, sounds like a decent game to at least rent. By the way, how many hours of gameplay does this one have? Are the controls/combat scheme as bad as some reviews hint? I hope this game wont be a letdown :confused:

Ofcourse, this may vary but I will say about 20 or so hours of solid game play. Light and Dark campaign, but it will take you like 30+ hours to get through it. Depending on how skilled you are, this time scale may vary. I estimate that this game will give myself 40 hours or so. Pretty lengthy, especially considering you might wanna go back to grab those good hidden gold pots/jewels and tone up your combat skills.

Actually, I think I got a knack of the combat thing. But yes, the combat of Enclave is really really awkard. You barely know whether or not you have hit somebody, or whether or not you yourself has been hit. All I can really say about it: Don't get yourself caught in a really tight spot. Yopu won't escape unscathed.

PS. Don't expect too much from this game. Just expect a good hack 'em up with fine graphics and characters. Oh, and I am stuck on a mission now. lol, grrr, right after I kill a Lich I get drowned! I swear, the fact that this game doesn't really give you check points is starting to really **** me off. Well, atleast I can experiment with my Chaos Hammer more.

PPS. A "Bastard Sword"? Anyone?

Kortiz
07-22-2002, 11:06 PM
can i get a link to some info on this game, too lazy to look myself

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Tinny

PPS. A "Bastard Sword"? Anyone?

This is a bastard sword:

http://www.tuscanytrading.com/weapons/iberia/015-pp.htm

DemonAlcohol
07-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Hey thanks for the information. Can you give a little more? Like the characters. Do you select one and play through the story and equip them with whatever gear you want? Or do each of the characters have a diffrent story? What do you spend the majority of the time doing?

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by DemonAlcohol
Hey thanks for the information. Can you give a little more? Like the characters. Do you select one and play through the story and equip them with whatever gear you want? Or do each of the characters have a diffrent story? What do you spend the majority of the time doing?

as far as I know so far (and my perspective is very limited, mind you) that there are 2 major story arcs. you play through them iwth any character (thus its kind of like Guantlet in that regard)

If you are looking for complete new plots based on which character you choose, then i think you'll be dissapointed.

still, this game looks to be a rather enjoyable diversion until better comes along

At LEAST it's worth renting

dave_m123
07-24-2002, 04:59 AM
Basically some of the characters you meet or rescue in the story and they are added to the list of characters you can choose.

I'd be hesitant to call this a Hack and Slash game as that would describe hunter or Dialbo 1/2 and this game certainly isent like this. Its sorta like a FPS but you have to manage your health carefully and not go rushing into an attack as you will FAIL. So theres a degree of strategy you need to apply to your attacks. At the moment i'm having problems mastering the meelee attack as im playing the Huntress a lot which means the drawven crossbar :D. The AI is quite good with them dodging your arrows using shields at the right times and hiding around corners etc....

The graphics are JAWdropping IMHO and are probably the best i have seen on Xbox. Definently up there with Halo and the Water is simply amazing.

For gameplay length some people are saying 40 hours for the light campaign so its definently a big game.

The music is superb i'd easily say the soundtrack is better than a lot of movie soundtracks.

The only thing people may have a gripe about is the lack of a save feature ingame. You basically have to start the mission over again if you die. I think this is good personally as it will definently improve your skill hehe :D.

IMHO its definently worth a buy and it definently did not deserve the review scores it got in these early reviews.

Tinny
07-24-2002, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by symposiumx

This is a bastard sword:

http://www.tuscanytrading.com/weapons/iberia/015-pp.htm

Thankyou.

PS. You spend the majority of the time running about slashing anything in sight... or running around looking for gold and the required item.

PPS. I'm still stuck on the drowning level. :(

dave_m123
07-24-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Tinny

Thankyou.

PS. You spend the majority of the time running about slashing anything in sight... or running around looking for gold and the required item.

PPS. I'm still stuck on the drowning level. :(

Well the combat is nowere near as common as games like Hunter.

Besides in most games you spend a lot of time doing a certain activity. Halo you spend most of the time blowing the **** out of aliens :D.

symposiumx
07-24-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by dave_m123
Basically some of the characters you meet or rescue in the story and they are added to the list of characters you can choose.

I'd be hesitant to call this a Hack and Slash game as that would describe hunter or Dialbo 1/2 and this game certainly isent like this. Its sorta like a FPS but you have to manage your health carefully and not go rushing into an attack as you will FAIL. So theres a degree of strategy you need to apply to your attacks. At the moment i'm having problems mastering the meelee attack as im playing the Huntress a lot which means the drawven crossbar :D. The AI is quite good with them dodging your arrows using shields at the right times and hiding around corners etc....

The graphics are JAWdropping IMHO and are probably the best i have seen on Xbox. Definently up there with Halo and the Water is simply amazing.

For gameplay length some people are saying 40 hours for the light campaign so its definently a big game.

The music is superb i'd easily say the soundtrack is better than a lot of movie soundtracks.

The only thing people may have a gripe about is the lack of a save feature ingame. You basically have to start the mission over again if you die. I think this is good personally as it will definently improve your skill hehe :D.

IMHO its definently worth a buy and it definently did not deserve the review scores it got in these early reviews.

well Diablo required strategy hahaha (if you count running your balls off when you saw a horde coming your way!!)

well, Enclave definitely sounds even better now, but I'm still disappointed in no multiplayer. I think that is one area of gaming that is lacking. It looks like the future will remedy that.

dave_m123
07-24-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by symposiumx

well Diablo required strategy hahaha (if you count running your balls off when you saw a horde coming your way!!)

well, Enclave definitely sounds even better now, but I'm still disappointed in no multiplayer. I think that is one area of gaming that is lacking. It looks like the future will remedy that.

I find some of the early reviews amusing that they mark it down over little things like the water doesent generate ripples when u walk through it or the weapons dont appear on your. LOL big deal the vast majority of games dont have features like this.

Suffice to say its an excellent game IMO.

symposiumx
07-24-2002, 12:38 PM

I find some of the early reviews amusing that they mark it down over little things like the water doesent generate ripples when u walk through it or the weapons dont appear on your. LOL big deal the vast majority of games dont have features like this.

Suffice to say its an excellent game IMO.

How is the game as far as melee/spell attacking? it is like button 1 is for attack and button 2 is for magic?

how wide a range of weapons and spells (and items) can you get/use?

What are some of the highlights of the game (i.e. fun abilities) in your opinion?

thanks!

dave_m123
07-24-2002, 02:38 PM
It's basically a button to attack while the left trigger on some weapons apparently does a secondary function.
green swaps weapons. Spells are cast by staffs which are treated as weapons.

From what i have played there is a wide range of Weapons

The knight can carry some form of shield, a ranged weapon (crossbow) and a meelee weapon such as an sword, an axe a hammer etc...

The huntress can carry a bow, a crossbow and a dagger.

The druid can have i think a first and second staff and a dagger but i havent played her much yet as the huntress is IMO the best character.

Just got the halfling but not tried her yet

All characters can carry healing potions and a form of armour. Plus ammo for any ranged weapons they have (i.e. crossbows or bows).

The game is just quite a lot of fun. The controls are easy to master, the graphics are great, it has a cool storyline and good gameplay. It's audio is another superb area of the game. The presentation of the game in the various menu's is also great.

symposiumx
07-24-2002, 02:56 PM
It's basically a button to attack while the left trigger on some weapons apparently does a secondary function.
green swaps weapons. Spells are cast by staffs which are treated as weapons.

From what i have played there is a wide range of Weapons

The knight can carry some form of shield, a ranged weapon (crossbow) and a meelee weapon such as an sword, an axe a hammer etc...

The huntress can carry a bow, a crossbow and a dagger.

The druid can have i think a first and second staff and a dagger but i havent played her much yet as the huntress is IMO the best character.

Just got the halfling but not tried her yet

All characters can carry healing potions and a form of armour. Plus ammo for any ranged weapons they have (i.e. crossbows or bows).

The game is just quite a lot of fun. The controls are easy to master, the graphics are great, it has a cool storyline and good gameplay. It's audio is another superb area of the game. The presentation of the game in the various menu's is also great.

Sounds like a winner. you think it is a MUST buy?
Hoe do you toggle weapons and items?

dave_m123
07-24-2002, 06:54 PM
IMO its a definently a buy but if you are unsure then rent it first.

Weapons done using green and Items swapped using the button to the left of it. is it yellow? cant remember of hand lol

symposiumx
07-24-2002, 07:32 PM
IMO its a definently a buy but if you are unsure then rent it first.

Weapons done using green and Items swapped using the button to the left of it. is it yellow? cant remember of hand lol

green is lower button A, upper is yellow Y, left is blue X and right is red B

Tinny
07-25-2002, 08:02 AM
Right Trigger - Attack/Combo (NxRT)
Left Rigger - Use Item (Keys etc)/Perform Action/Block (Shield/Magic) /Reload/Sniper View
Left Analogue - Move and Crouch
Right Analogue - Look/Aim and Jump
A Button - Next Weapon
X Button - Next Item/Weapon Type (Arrows)

The Left Trigger button has alot of stuff put on it and the B Button and B&W ones aren't use. Thats the default setting, but if anybody can tell me who to change the control, I will really be grateful.