PDA

View Full Version : Franchise or Fresh Ideas??

Highlite23
07-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Just wondering how you all felt about this...

Personally, i want some fresh ideas in my games, the possibilities are almost endless with the technology available. I'm starting to see a "cookie cutter" mentality to games. Same premiss diffrent charecters.

As far as Franchise games, don't get me wrong, there are some great ones that shouldn't go away...unless they start to get dated and lacklustre. Sports games obviouslly are some of the best to represent this, the 2K series is probably one of the best to keep pushing for a fresh and new experience with each instalment. While others just need to be put to rest.

Are developers running out of ideas or are we just expecting too much??

faceoff508
07-21-2002, 09:54 AM
Exactly. People, magazines, critics etc. all say that Nintendos booth was the best and has the most games. The only thing I saw there was 4 new games already in a franshise. While the Xbox has a slew of orginal games nobody gives a crap about it. All they care about is Nintendos franshises. I still dont get why Nintendo had the Best Of e3 when it had no orginal titles. They are all from a diffrent franshise.

Marc
07-21-2002, 10:32 AM
It's called bias. The Xbox is the Rodney Dangerfield of game consoles...it gets no respect.

El Gaucho Goof
07-21-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508
Exactly. People, magazines, critics etc. all say that Nintendos booth was the best and has the most games. The only thing I saw there was 4 new games already in a franshise. While the Xbox has a slew of orginal games nobody gives a crap about it. All they care about is Nintendos franshises. I still dont get why Nintendo had the Best Of e3 when it had no orginal titles. They are all from a diffrent franshise.

Have you ever thought that the 4 games Nintendo showed were actually quite good? I mean you people make it seems that Nintendo throws a face on their games and ship em if that was the case they would never have so much delays.

And I think some of you folks have selective reading, it seems that no one paid much attention to Nintendo's booth other than their big 4.

I mean Nintendo had new games and hardware on display.

Roll-A-Rama.. I mean Nintendo lives so much on their franchies that they removed Kirby from this game and let it be it's on stand alone game.

Stage Debut which seems to be a good game if developers want to take advantage of what it offers. It could add a lot more to sports and RPG games.

New hardware incluides:

GameEye.. well, it's basically the GBA-GC's GameBoy Camera.
E-Card Reader.. in combination with the GameEye, GC/GBA connection and a little developer creaativity these could go far. Ofcourse, no one would probably want to use it since it's untested.

As for Xbox with it's new and original games, it's odd how people forget some game announcements like

-the next Halo
-Raw 2
-ShenMue 2
-Panzaar Dragon Orta
-ToeJam and Earl III
-Metal Gear Solid: Substance
-Unreal Championship (is that the one?)
-MechAssault
-Ninja Gaiden
-DOA:XV
House of the Dead 3

Ofcourse, we know these are the slews of new and original titles shown at e3 for the Xbox. I really don't like when people look at companies with a blind eye.

I agree that some comapies try to rest on their lures, but sometimes you got to figure it is risky making all new games. I mean all 3 systems had their slews of sequels, it just so happened that the ones Nintendo had were some of the most recognized in the videogame world.

faceoff508
07-21-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by El Gaucho Goof

Have you ever thought that the 4 games Nintendo showed were actually quite good? I mean you people make it seems that Nintendo throws a face on their games and ship em if that was the case they would never have so much delays.

And I think some of you folks have selective reading, it seems that no one paid much attention to Nintendo's booth other than their big 4.

I mean Nintendo had new games and hardware on display.

Roll-A-Rama.. I mean Nintendo lives so much on their franchies that they removed Kirby from this game and let it be it's on stand alone game.

Stage Debut which seems to be a good game if developers want to take advantage of what it offers. It could add a lot more to sports and RPG games.

New hardware incluides:

GameEye.. well, it's basically the GBA-GC's GameBoy Camera.
E-Card Reader.. in combination with the GameEye, GC/GBA connection and a little developer creaativity these could go far. Ofcourse, no one would probably want to use it since it's untested.

As for Xbox with it's new and original games, it's odd how people forget some game announcements like

-the next Halo
-Raw 2
-ShenMue 2
-Panzaar Dragon Orta
-ToeJam and Earl III
-Metal Gear Solid: Substance
-Unreal Championship (is that the one?)
-MechAssault
-Ninja Gaiden
-DOA:XV
House of the Dead 3

Ofcourse, we know these are the slews of new and original titles shown at e3 for the Xbox. I really don't like when people look at companies with a blind eye.

I agree that some comapies try to rest on their lures, but sometimes you got to figure it is risky making all new games. I mean all 3 systems had their slews of sequels, it just so happened that the ones Nintendo had were some of the most recognized in the videogame world.

I see your point... but the Xbox has other orginal titles. The Gamecube doesnt. Name one game that isnt a sequl from another game console or from the gamecube. Excatly, the game either comes from the arcade or its one of the characters from Nintendos franshises. If you can name at least two. Then I will hit my head on to a wall 20 times.

twilla
07-21-2002, 08:11 PM
heres two: Eternal darkness and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and dang you got me!

POD13259
07-21-2002, 08:13 PM
Isn't that, in essence, flaming Nintendo? Why do you guys then wonder why Xbox gets flamed?

El Gaucho Goof
07-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508

I see your point... but the Xbox has other orginal titles. The Gamecube doesnt. Name one game that isnt a sequl from another game console or from the gamecube. Excatly, the game either comes from the arcade or its one of the characters from Nintendos franshises. If you can name at least two. Then I will hit my head on to a wall 20 times. Did you not read my post at all?

Roll-A-Rama and Stage Debut are both all new games from Nintendo as is Giftpia.

Slacker
07-22-2002, 12:06 AM
I think the point is, that Nintendo's Characters are like a movie thats had to many sequels , some of us have been playing Zelda since NES!! almost 20 years ago come on , I think in 20 years they could of come up with something better, Nintendo Games are way to Kiddy even RE and Eternal Darkness are Kiddy Games IMO, I think Nintendo has to many one trick ponies and needs to put them out to pasture,

El Gaucho Goof
07-22-2002, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Slacker
I think the point is, that Nintendo's Characters are like a movie thats had to many sequels , some of us have been playing Zelda since NES!! almost 20 years ago come on , I think in 20 years they could of come up with something better, Nintendo Games are way to Kiddy even RE and Eternal Darkness are Kiddy Games IMO, I think Nintendo has to many one trick ponies and needs to put them out to pasture,

I'm just a tad curious, but how exactly games with "many sequels" as you said a one shot pony? It baffles the mind sometimes.

If you think RE and ED are kiddy games, I think you need to remove your head from M$'s ass for a bit and actually look at the games.

People these dayz.

Snoopy7548
07-22-2002, 02:07 PM
maybe theyre afraid to try new games. theyre probly scared that they will suck or do really badly. which is why they stick with older games, cause they know people are gonna buy them. theyre taking the safe way out.

XBOX Dude
07-22-2002, 02:35 PM
if you ask me i feel like were on the verge of truly crossing over to a next golden age of video games. i get the sense that the gaming community is waiting, waiting for there gaming musiah(bad spelling i know;)).