PDA

View Full Version : rear projection tv, how is the xbox on it ?

odpr
07-21-2002, 12:21 PM
hi

a friend of mine want to buy a xbox and he have these rear projection tv with 100hz, how is the xbox going to look on it ? ?

bye
o

Young_Fledgling
07-21-2002, 01:02 PM
it might not look that amazing.... also you should not play xbox or and consoles on a projection TV because it can wreck it....

odpr
07-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by wardpr68
it might not look that amazing.... also you should not play xbox or and consoles on a projection TV because it can wreck it....

what do u mean wreck it ?
all the fun is with this kind of tv , no ?
does the picture get smear ? ? ?
(with 100 hz tv..?)

bye
o

cityson
07-21-2002, 01:36 PM
I suggest you don't risk your Xbox for taht 100hz monster!!!! I don't know what will happen though, but if I were you....I will not do taht.

CRAIG123
07-21-2002, 02:26 PM
I wouldnt do it.. It is supposed to burn thorugh the the tv or something..It tells you at the front of the manual.. I suggest you tell ya friend to read that.
:)

Highlite23
07-21-2002, 04:33 PM
I have a Toshiba 50" and have been playing my XBOX on it since launch. I contacted Toshiba, and they would not officially guarantee there would be no problem they did state that it would take a static image about 72 hrs straight to burn in. I have had no probllems what so ever with my TV. Just relaying some info, do what you feel safe with.

robnyack
07-21-2002, 04:44 PM
let not get carried away guys. "Don't do it, it will wreck your TV" is just a tad bit over the top, don't you think?

The fact of the matter is, you can hook up your xbox to your rear projection TV and have a BALL with it, and never do any damage whatsoever......if you are aware of the potential problems.

BURN IN is the problem that you have to worry about. But, you have to worry about burn in simply from watching tv too. Any static images (like a network logo at the bottom of your screen), if left on long enough can actually "burn" itself into your TV screen. It like a tatoo...and it last as long as a tatoo...forever.

Having said that though, just some simple precautions, and you should never have to worry about it. We have been playing our xbox on our 46" digital widescreen rear projection TV for many months now and all we have had is FUN...no problems.

Just be aware some games have static images (usually health meters and things like that...Halo, for instance), and you should not leave the game on for hours on end. Play a couple hours, take a break, play a couple hours, take a break (and most would tell you you can even play longer). Never pause the game and then go and do something else for long periods of time. Also, let your TV warm up for a few minute before turning your xbox on.

Many games don't have static images or they vary enough where you don't have to worry about them at all. So, let's not scare the poor guy out of some great fun. By all means, hook your xbox up to your big screen TV!!! Have a blast....going from a 27" to a big screen is awesome. Just be aware of the burn in issue, and take proper precaution and you will never have to worry about it.

odpr
07-21-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
I have a Toshiba 50" and have been playing my XBOX on it since launch. I contacted Toshiba, and they would not officially guarantee there would be no problem they did state that it would take a static image about 72 hrs straight to burn in. I have had no probllems what so ever with my TV. Just relaying some info, do what you feel safe with.

ok, now is it 100hz tv?
if so, does the image smear ?

bye
o

stang46
07-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Okay first off, the video from the Xbox will look unf*cking beliavable on a HDTV. Whoever tells you otherwise either has not played on a HDTV before, or has played on a RPTV that was not callibrated properly. Make sure you connect with component cables for best image quality.

Now about burn in. Most RPTVs come from the factory with brightness and contrast cranked to the max. This is not good for the CRTs in the TV. It is very important to properly callibrate the TV with a video callibration disk like Avia Guide to Home Theater Setup. This will give you the best image quality possible, increase the life of the TV, and reduce burn-in significantly. Like others have said do not sit there and game for hours and hours on end, take a brake every 2 hours or so. Fifteen to thirty minutes will be fine.

Robnyack makes some excellent points. Most people say you have to watch out for burn in with just gaming. This is not entirely true now. A very large cause of burn in now are the network logos on every damn tv channel. These can burn in your screen as well.

So basically be smart about what your watching and playing...

By the way I have been playing on my Toshiba 42" widescreen HDTV for sometime with no problems...Also played on my parents 55" Mits HDTV with no problems either. Both TVs have been callibrated as well, I highly recommend this if you are gaming on your RPTV.

robnyack
07-21-2002, 05:21 PM
Most RPTVs come from the factory with brightness and contrast cranked to the max. This is not good for the CRTs in the TV. It is very important to properly callibrate the TV with a video callibration disk like Avia Guide to Home Theater Setup

excellent point! most people think they just take their digital tv out of the box, plug it in, and they have the best picture possible. WRONG. With digital sets, you need to calibrate them. You can do it yourself (as stang outlines) or you can even have it done professionally (costs a good buck, I'm sure).

We calibrated our set ourselves, and when we got done, we had a MUCH better picture, and as stang points out, a tv that is less susceptable to burn in.

odpr
07-21-2002, 05:25 PM
[By the way I have been playing on my Toshiba 42" widescreen HDTV for sometime with no problems...Also played on my parents 55" Mits HDTV with no problems either. Both TVs have been callibrated as well, I highly recommend this if you are gaming on your RPTV. [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks for the answer, but still I don't have hdtv, but I have a thosiba 100h z tv that when I watch tv the image get smear like the old monitors... but when I play dvd the image is fine, now my question is doese the box know how to transmit to the tv like the dvd does?

thanks again.

bye

wulff
07-22-2002, 09:34 PM
Man oh Man some people's intelligence(or age) really shines thru on hear sometime.
I have been playing my xbox since lauch day on my HDTV.55" tosh .
Cant say enough.My buddy's came over when i first got the box and were fully floored,mouth's opened drooling.
We have played Halo for many hrs straight i think the longest was 12hrs.....I have had ZERO problems with my tv or my xbox.

*knocks on wood*

The reason they say that in every Game manual KIDS is a form of disclaimer for the company's.
Yes you can ruin your tv like some of the more wise ones have already stated.....like running out for an ice cream off the ice cream truck while playing on daddy's tv with the game PAUSED might do something....
Keep it moving and have it calibrated if ya cant do it yourself.If ya can do it yourself i recommend picking up avia video essentials dvd.

Bill Gates Jr
07-22-2002, 10:02 PM
I've had no problems what so ever playing my xbox on a projection TV.

JimmieDoogan
07-23-2002, 11:27 AM
The Xbox and PS2 put out a signal comparable to NTSC DVD quality. In fact, it is the same signal the DVD's play through. My cousin's and I played Xbox on his big screen all weekend.

Spaztic
07-23-2002, 11:48 AM
I am jelous so don't do it!

MidniteArrow
08-19-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by odpr

ok, now is it 100hz tv?
if so, does the image smear ?

bye
o

The Xbox will not output a 100Hz signal. It uses standard HDTV resolutions of 480p, 720p, and 1080i. These all operate at 60 Hz. If you are using it with a computer source as well you can drive these higher refresh rates, but the Xbox won't do it. The TV will still work fine, just not at 100 Hz. It will run at 60 Hz when used with the Xbox.

CrazyCougar
08-19-2002, 11:02 AM
i went down to my mom and dads house the other week and low and behold Dad got an Xbox.. Why? I dont know he's 50. LOL!! Anyhoo, he has surround sound and a 50" Big screen projection TV and playing the Xbox was an experience I will soon not forget. WOW!!!!! No problems at all! Just be careful is all you have to do. Dont leave the thing on pause for a long period of time. if you need to pause the game turn off the tv til you come back. Its that simple! WTG Dad, your system rocks!

CrazyCougar
08-19-2002, 11:04 AM
OH YEAH!!!! Just so I dont offend anyone,,LOL,, iw as not sayign a 50 year old should not have an Xbox!! LOL! It just surprised me that MY 50 year old dad got one...LOL! He says its for the grandchildren but I think otherwise. I know he's secretly playing it til 2 or 3 in the morning every night when no one is watching.

KingAvi2k3
08-19-2002, 11:26 AM
My wife got me an Xbox for Father's day. I just turn 42 years old a week before Father's Day. Sometime I do play on my family Sony 61" tv with Sony surround sound DVD-5 charger system. It will blow your mind...........lol I have met a number of guys in 40's & 50's online playing sega football. Your Dad is getting ready for you and other players online.

CrazyCougar
08-19-2002, 11:35 AM
LOL!! i know he is!!!! LOL!! He has told me and my brother we cheat since we were kids! ROFL! Why? Because he says we dont tell him what all the buttons do in each situation. I tell him you gotta be kidding me! You know how many different assignments there are. I'll tell ya as the situation arises. I guess he is now taking it upon himself to learn the game! I'm still jealous of him playing on that big screen with the surround sound!!!! But he is starting to get old..LOL! He's deaf and going blind I tell him! LOL!

Comic Book Guy
08-19-2002, 02:27 PM
XBox on my 54" rear projection TV was totally awesome, until the red and blue projection went out. I don't know if it was the XBox though because I hadn't played it in a while.

Ultron-9
08-19-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I am buying my father-in-law's 61 inch rptv for $500 (he just got a phat hdtv widescreen), and was afraid to hook up my gaming system to it. Now I think I will.

nate66
08-23-2002, 02:20 AM
I played Dreamcast on a 52" Phillips rear projection TV for two years without any problems, and now I play XBOX on this 47" Samsung HDTV.

http://arctic.photoisland.com/sessions/75311601475/14572822lg.jpg

No problems yet, I just keep my brightness, and contrast below 50%

nate66
08-23-2002, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by XBOXMIKE
wheres your xbox dude?:confused:

Here it is, I've been playing on my other TV lately.

http://arctic.photoisland.com/sessions/75311601475/14572823lg.jpg

It's kind of dark, but you can see the silver buttons down below. You can also see my games, Halo, RSC, PGR, JSFR, Silent Hill 2, Max Payne, Odd Word, and NFL Fever 2002.

Highlite23
08-23-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
XBox on my 54" rear projection TV was totally awesome, until the red and blue projection went out. I don't know if it was the XBox though because I hadn't played it in a while.

The projection guns have nothing to do with the XBOX, the only warrning for rear projection tv's has always been burn in, as everyone here has attested to, be carefull and it will be fine. Keep in mind if you watch alot of TV burn in is also possible, station logos, scores, stock market tickers, etc..

So fear not if your planning on making the jump to what is one of the best gaming experiences...playing on a huge screen!

Have fun everyone.:)