PDA

View Full Version : Help Q about TV

AmpedRider
07-21-2002, 08:34 PM
Im going to buy this http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11101411&m=1&cat=24&scat=1470 tv next saturday and I was wondering if the xbox would f**k up my tv like burning an image in the screen?

Integra Man
07-21-2002, 08:37 PM
nope not at all. I have a 60 inch widecreen and there arent any problems. so go buy your tv and enjoy..

but thats with me i dont want anyone yelling at me for giving the wrong info. my xbox works fine with my tv. so try and get another opinon on that okay

take care

wweomaniac
07-21-2002, 10:45 PM
I don't know why everyoen says it's alrigh to play xbox on big screens. I remember reading in the N64 booklet and it said it wasn't safe to play on big screens. Well.. not safe as in it could damage the TV. I think I may have read that in the XBOX manual as well. I know a lot of people do play it on bigscreens... but try it at your own risk. Read the Xbox manual.. see what it says.

Zion
07-21-2002, 10:54 PM
As long as you don't leave a static image on your screen for hours at at a time, you'll be fine. If you pause a game and leave it on the screen for a few days then you will damage your TV.

Otherwise thre is no chance of damaging your TV with an Xbox/Gamecube/PS2/Dreamcast...or any other console. You'll probably run more risk just watching network TV because of their big, bright, colorful static logos at the bottom of the screen.

LynxFX
07-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Yes burn in is a risk. Yes it can happen. Yes you could ruin your tv. Yes it can be prevented. Yes you can play games on your rptv and never have a burned in image. Yes you can get burn in from regular network television.

So with all that, just follow the rules and you will enjoy some of the best gaming in your life.

Rule #1: Use your new television for roughly 50-100 hours (a weeks worth of tv should do) before you do some heavy gaming.

Rule #2: Calibrate your set with AVIA DVD, Video Essentials, Ultimate DVD, or with THX Optimode on certain dvd's like Die Hard with a Vengance 5 Star edition. (Do not use Fight Club's or Toy Story's since they were built around the movies and not an overall natural look) Make sure you have the tv on for at least 30 minutes before you calibrate it. The most important part of calibrating is the brightness and contrast. Typically these should never be above 50%. Some manufactures ship the televisions with the brightness and contrast up at 100% so it makes their tv's 'look' better. This is what can kill your tv.

Rule #3: Game away. Just remember to avoid playing for extended periods especially if the game has static images, health meters, etc. Also avoid pausing the game and leaving it. News stations have a habit of keeping static logos as well as news tickers so be wary of those. Most stations have moved to animated logos now so it isn't a big problem anymore except on the cable news stations.

The reason every console maker out there says that gaming on a projection tv can ruin it is because they have to cover their ends. It happens more often with consoles than regular tv because games tend to have bright, colorful, high contrast images, not tv(logos aside). It doesn't happen as often as it used to but it can still happen so if you take the time to calibrate (looks 100% better anyway) and pay attention you should enjoy years and years of perfect gaming.

Enjoy, that is a really nice set. Be sure to pick up the HD A/V kit and swap out the component cables with some RCA double shielded kind from Target or other stores. Alot cheaper than Monster's alternative and you will never see the difference.