PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Anyone buy those 120" lens kits from ebay?

Dutch_72
07-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Was just curious if any of you have purchased one of those lens kits that include plans to build a 120" projection screen?

Ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1366241807

If so, how tough was it to build?
Decent quality picture?
Need complete darkness to view?
Any certain type of TV needed to hitch it to?
Can it be easily set up and taken down? or is it permanent?

Thanks in advance.

Keltiks
07-21-2002, 11:48 PM
whoh, no idea. this good be could.

Frink
07-22-2002, 12:02 AM
I have never tried them, but if this <a href="http://www.godrules.net/images/bigscreen6BIG.jpg">screen shot</a> is any indication of the quality, I will pass.

LynxFX
07-22-2002, 01:36 AM
Yup that is about the quality although they edited in photoshop to cut out the blurry edges you get as well.

It is a fun project if you want to goof around. Just purchase a fresnel lens from Barnes and Nobles or Office Depot for $6 and find the plans for free online. Don't pay anyone on Ebay.

If so, how tough was it to build?
Nope, took about an hour.

Decent quality picture?
Nothing I would watch an entire movie on. Fun for projecting on a barn or garage duing a party.

Need complete darkness to view?
Yes. 100% blackness.

Any certain type of TV needed to hitch it to?
Any under 19". A 19" tv makes a projector that is almost 3 feet long!. Very abtrusive.

Can it be easily set up and taken down? or is it permanent?
It is just a box you attatch around your tv, which you turn upside down.(that in itself can be damaging to your tv and you may need to get it professionally degaussed.)

davidXBOX
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
If you really want the true all out XBOX experience, get a Dell projector; create a screen; and then get a surround sound. I built my own screen it measures 9 X 12 FEET - 108" by 144" or about 180" diagonal. I did purchase a screen to begin with - but it was crap.

The projector cost $1500 CDN and screen about $300 to make. There is nothing like playing Halo, Need for Speed MW, Neo in first person in this size and at HD resolutions. It is crystal clear even at this size. :yikes:

Nothing like flipping a car in first person and making the audience puke! LOL

Get a Dell [ dell.com - go to small business for special deals ] with 1:2100 contrast; and 2300 Lum powered bulb. Bulb lasts about 2500 hours and only $300 for a new one [user replaceable].

Hey - you can use it for movies and tv too... PLUS HDTV [max at 1080i!].
Next purchase will be Xbox 360 ; waiting for Halo3. :hail:

Building a good screen is the key ; careful construction will bring out 3D effect in games and movies - even "blurred" background [out of focus] becomes clear. Expect to take 5-10 hours to build the screen ; otherwise purchasing a screen this size is VERY costly [$5000+!] . You can use a wall painted FLAT white ; but a screen is better.

Highlite23
05-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey David, Welcome to the site. Just a friendly FYI, look at the date the thread was posted before adding to it.

This one is over 3 years old, but thanks for contributing. :)