PDA

View Full Version : GPU For Microsoft's Next Console:

Plasticman
10-28-2001, 12:00 AM
Which company should Microsoft go with to build the GPU for their next console? Before any PS 2 ***gots say there won't be another console from them because the Xbox will flop, keep in mind that the N64 was a flop. Besides, I seriously doubt it will.

Plasticman
10-28-2001, 12:28 AM
Just for the record, my ATI Radeon 8500 kicks the crap out of my GeForce 3. Too bad there's no games to utilize it. Halo could be the first??!!

sinizuh
10-28-2001, 01:32 AM
Halo will run better on geforce 3 than Radeon

Plasticman
10-28-2001, 01:40 AM
Many PC mags are saying that the Radeon 8500 is 30% more powerful than the G3.

xboxlover
10-28-2001, 01:08 AM
It has to to geforce3 because them an microsoft have built up a good relationship now an geforce3 kicks azz

Heyyoudvd
10-28-2001, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Plasticman
Which company should Microsoft go with to build the GPU for their next console? Before any PS 2 ***gots say there won't be another console from them because the Xbox will flop, keep in mind that the N64 was a flop. Besides, I seriously doubt it will.

WTF are you smoking? N64 was a flop?
it sold like 35 million consoles. That's amazing.

It's didn't do nearly as wel as PSX (about 75 million), but 35 million is still a s.hitload.

N64 was an amazing console, anyway. Id didn't have that many good games,but the good games that it did have were incredible.

The average gamer only buys about 10-20 games for a console and N64's 20 best games kick the crap out of PSX's 20 best games.

Plasticman
10-28-2001, 01:19 AM
Sorry, I forgot to change that to Saturn.

I don't think games are built around a particular card. I'm sure Bungie will build the game with the most powerful card in mind, which we won't know until the game comes out. Although ATI is Canadian, Microsoft will no doubt use them if nVidia is unable to deliver a stronger GPU.

GeForce 3 is way over priced! My Radeon 8500 costed over $100 less for more juice.

Heyyoudvd
10-28-2001, 02:04 AM
I herd the the 8500 is more powerful than the G3, but the drivers haven't been perfected, so it can't make use of all the power yet.

It's got much better specs than any other card, but it was still beaten by the Geforce3 in Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 with the framerate.

sinizuh
10-28-2001, 02:26 AM
yea... ATI suck at writing drivers for their cards... just look at the Rage cards... took them a while before they got it right.

Plasticman
10-28-2001, 02:35 AM
Yet. Still, the card is superior, and before long, they'll have the drivers. The drivers they do have outperform my G3 on a Mac G4. One thing I really love about ATI is that their cards work well with my MB. Most nVidia cards off center my screen, in either DOS, or in Windows. So when I tweak it for Windows, it's off for DOS, and vice versa. What do I need DOS for? Formatting my drives and updating my BIOS.

ShannonX
10-28-2001, 07:33 AM
this is an interesting article relating to the 8500....

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/radeonquack/default.asp

seems like ATI sacrifices visual quality to improve frame rate in Quake 3. Some smart person came along and changed the .exe to quack, and suddenly, the framerate took a hit. Even if you have "high quality" set, it looks like low to mid quality on other graphics cards. Would you want that crap on the xbox??

Then we received word of HardOCP's results with a modified Quake 3 executable. It appeared as if the RADEON drivers was looking for Quake and optimizing for performance if it was found. By changing all references from "quake" to "quack" performance of the RADEON 8500 was slower.....
When we first heard about the "quackifier" program over a week ago, our first impression was one of skepticism. All we knew was that this was a program that purported to change string values in an executable file. When run, it did create a new "quack3.exe" file, but what else did it do? It could have made more changes to the file than its claimed purpose, or even modify existing OpenGL drivers.
While we inquired into the quackifier source, we asked Andrew, our ace Gamers.com developer to create an application from scratch that does the same thing; namely, to search a single file for any string values containing "quake" or "Quake" and rename those to "quack". Within 5 minutes, we had a fully working version, shown below: .....