PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Hits Major Sales Milestones (North America)

DrUnKtAnK
07-23-2002, 09:48 AM
http://www.gamefaction.com/news/102743032526958.shtml

Tuesday, July 23, 2002, 14:18 GMT
Two independent research groups confirmed today that the Xbox video game system is on a roll.

The NPD Group Inc. reported that Xbox posted a stunning sales increase of approximately 131 percent in the United States in the first two months following a $100 price cut in May. In addition, “Project Gotham Racing™” from Microsoft® Games Studios and “Dead or Alive 3™” from Tecmo each have sold more than a million units worldwide. According to the International Development Group, this makes Xbox the first video game system ever to have three million-unit-selling launch titles after just eight months on the market. The numbers put the system on track for another blockbuster holiday season, when gamers will be able to choose from more than 200 Xbox games.

Since the launch of the console in November 2001, the award-winning lineup of software for Xbox has reached a number of key sales milestones. According to independent data from the NPD Group, the definitive source of sales and market data on the video game industry, Xbox has sold more than 10 million units of software in the first eight months the console has been on the market in the United States. That’s the most software ever sold for a new video game system in the United States in the same period of time. Last week, Microsoft Corp. reported that 20 million units of Xbox games were sold worldwide in its past fiscal year.

Although all three major game console manufacturers announced price cuts in May, Xbox has had the largest percentage gains with sales having spiked approximately 131 percent in the United States in the two months since the price cut, according to NPD.

On the software side, two exclusive Xbox launch titles — “Project Gotham Racing” from Microsoft Game Studios and “Dead or Alive 3” from Tecmo — have topped the 1 million mark in worldwide sales. Earlier this year, another blockbuster Xbox launch title, “Halo: Combat Evolved,” also from Microsoft Game Studios, became the first million-unit seller for Xbox. According to the International Development Group, an independent market research firm that tracks worldwide video game sales, this would make Xbox the first console to ever achieve worldwide sales of more than 1 million units on three different launch titles in less than eight months on the market.

“More and more consumers are getting the message that games look and play better on Xbox,” said John O’Rourke, director of worldwide Xbox marketing at Microsoft. “We’re now gearing up for the holiday season, when gamers will have more than 200 titles to choose from on Xbox, with a total of 300 titles currently in development. Gamers can also look forward to the launch this fall of Xbox Live, the first online console gaming service fully dedicated to fast-action, always-connected broadband gaming experiences.”

DrUnKtAnK
07-23-2002, 10:16 AM
I tell you what this board is getting lame....:mad:
When someone post some negative news (weather it's for real or not) people jump on it like it's the last bandwagon leavin town.
But when you post some 'real' positive news, people just ignore it....WTF?:(

Xbox Owner
07-23-2002, 10:56 AM
SWEET! Xbox sales are picking up! That's really good news, I hope it continues..

Thanks for the news!!

Marc
07-23-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm glad to hear something positive for a change. It's much better than hearing how xbox sales figures suck...

pimpineezhoes
07-23-2002, 11:04 AM
Thats what Im talking about. Everyone is doubting Xbox but its jsut a matetr of time. The momentum is picking up XL is gonna blow it wide open!

Spaztic
07-23-2002, 11:09 AM
hell yeah....xbox rocks!

faceoff508
07-23-2002, 11:41 AM
YOU ARE GOD!! This news was like air to me. Can I post it on another site? I cant wait to tell the fanboys. HEHEHHE!!

faceoff508
07-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Xbox in New Markets
Microsoft also announced today that Xbox is moving into new territories this year, bringing the unique Xbox experience to gamers in Korea, Hong Kong, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan.

“We’re moving into new territories faster than any other gaming platform in history, highlighting our global commitment and investment for the future of Xbox around the world,” O’Rourke said. “These six territories were selected because of the high interest in intense Xbox games and because many of them are hotbeds for online gaming.”

Each territory will be announcing specific launch details, including timing, price and launch titles, in the weeks ahead.

Marc
07-23-2002, 12:09 PM
maybe that will persuade the people at EA to pull their heads out of their asses...

Dre
07-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by DrUnKtAnK
I tell you what this board is getting lame....:mad:
When someone post some negative news (weather it's for real or not) people jump on it like it's the last bandwagon leavin town.
But when you post some 'real' positive news, people just ignore it....WTF?:(

Maybe you should wait AT LEAST a 1/2 hour? Thats not too much is it?

Cool article, thanks for posting it!

Keltiks
07-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by DrUnKtAnK
I tell you what this board is getting lame....
But when you post some 'real' positive news, people just ignore it....WTF?

I would guess the the majority of users on this forum reside within the United States or Canada. You posted this at 7am PST. Most people won't be awake then because this is summer, and secondly the people who are up would be going to work anyway. I am sure not many people within the U.S. read these boards at 7-10am. So don't be so quick to put fellow addicts down.

With that said this is really great news. Too bad all three of those games are very old and I doubt there is another xbox exclusive on the way to 1,000,000 copies. Hopefully some games will come out soon.

DrUnKtAnK
07-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Maybe you should wait AT LEAST a 1/2 hour? Thats not too much is it?
Cool article, thanks for posting it!

Nah, I was just kiddin'..I was try to get a little rise out of some the negative ones hangin around here. :)

It's been slow with new news and it seems that all that's been gettng posted at XBA and some other sites are just bull***** complaints and misinformed news...

XBOX Dude
07-23-2002, 12:41 PM
good post helped brighten my day a little:D so much for the xbox dying

pounder
07-23-2002, 12:51 PM
sweet..but i didnt need a sales figure to tell me the box rox! lol

XBox
07-23-2002, 01:16 PM
I am glad to see I am doing well.

Keltiks
07-23-2002, 01:36 PM
I was just screwing around and it turned out the name XBox was not taken. If anyone wants it just PM me.

Highlite23
07-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Great Info........

I'm sticking to what i have been saying since the begining, by xmas the XBOX is going to be hard to ignore.;)