PDA

View Full Version : Console shooter controls

Dre
07-23-2002, 03:36 PM
Ok, while looking at the Serious Sam screens in a different thread, something just dawned on me. You know how in Halo you can only carry 2 weapons right?

Well, what do you do in a console fps when you can carry quite a few more than 2 weapons such as in Serious sam. How are the controls going to be set up so that I don't lose momentum and time switching to a specific gun?

Even if gun switching was done like Morrowind (hold x, then hold a trigger to scroll through your weapons), I don't think it would work well in a FPS.

I'm clueless as for ideas on how to solve the problem.. I hope a developer will show alot of ingenuity and surprise me with a viable solution!

Anyone have ideas on how this could work? Or do you think its not even that big of a deal?

NomadLLama
07-23-2002, 03:41 PM
maybe they'll let you put the guns in your own arranged order??

Dre
07-23-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark
they will probally have it so you press one button and it goes through the weapons until you find one. Like swithing through 10 guns.but I dont know..play the pc. check it out

Thats the problem I am having. If I'm in a fight surrounded by 20 monsters with 10 guys screaming their heads off running at me trying to blow themselves up, while a rampaging alien bull is charging me.. I don't exactly have time to cycle through 4-5 weapons. There's also the odd chance I overshoot and have to cycle through them all again, or switch buttons to cycle in reverse order, which again costs seconds of my time.

I'll basically be a running target that can't shoot for a couple of seconds and anyone knows that 1-2 seconds can mean life or death when it comes to FPS.

Dre
07-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Ok, I just thought of something.. maybe have a "press & hold button Y, then hold a trigger to cycle through weapons" type weapon selection. But, just pressing Y could switch to the weapon you last used.

Think that could work?

Snoopy7548
07-23-2002, 03:46 PM
in doom for the n64, they made it so one button went forward in the weapons, and one went backward. i think. it was fine that way. it wasnt hard at all. it doesnt take a long time to get used to, it was pretty easy. lol. i say "it" too much. haha:) :D and also in turok for the n64, they had it so that when u pressed the d-pad, it would bring up the weapons menu, i think.:D

faceoff508
07-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Make it as the same controls a RE:D

Or you can push the left trigger a little screen pops up at the botom and you choose your weapon.

Spaztic
07-23-2002, 04:03 PM
I like the max payne setup...and once you know where in line the weapon you want is, it isn't to slow!

Magnum Blast
07-23-2002, 04:06 PM
Yeah I thought the max payne setup was good too.

Alien
07-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Press the "Select"/"Back" button, and then it will pause the game and open an inventory, and then you pick the gun from there...I don't use the trigger thing in Morrowind, I open up my inventory every time I want another weapon out...so I would like it.

Keltiks
07-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Here is an idea:
Bind the directional pad. In FPS, you don't use it, I remember the directional pad being quite useless in Halo. So pick your four favorite weapons, and have each direction a different gun. Seems like it would work for me.

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Alien
Press the "Select"/"Back" button, and then it will pause the game and open an inventory, and then you pick the gun from there...I don't use the trigger thing in Morrowind, I open up my inventory every time I want another weapon out...so I would like it.

I do the same thing. The "Hold Y and press R or L trigger" is WAY too slow in morrowind (or ANY game that you have hundreds of spells/weapons). I hate running from some guys while having to cycle my spells, etc.

Max payne works KINDA. Its not too slow, but it CAN sometimes be a little annoying to have to reach down on the d-pad to change weapons. (considering its hard/impossible to move max with doing this).

I think if you stick to less than 6-8 weapons you can easily cycle with 1-2 buttons.
otherwise I personally think its a flaw in a FPS

Good topic!!

Keltiks
07-23-2002, 04:29 PM
I hold Y but thats only because I choose not to have that many spells. I have Soultrap, levitate, alsami intervention, and my summoning spell that summons the atrinochs

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark
I dont have morrowind...is it like a rpg like, dare I say...pokemon or is it full frontal 3d?

umm..i'm ASSUMING its not like pokemon! (never played pokemon)

Morrowind is fully 3d. Its a huge~a~mongous , open-ended RPG.
in first and third person perspective.

if you like fantasy, rpg's, open-ended games or any combination of those, then RENT THIS GAME.

If you're like most, you'll end up buying the game and kissing your life and free time goodbye for the next few months :)

Caliadar
07-23-2002, 05:40 PM
Anyone here play Clive Barker's Undying for the PC? That had a weapon select system that was tailor made for a console. Just hold the weapon select button and a wheel pops up with weapons in each position on the wheel. Just quickly pick your weapon by pressing the oppropriate direction (for example if your shotgun is on the right side of the wheel hit weapon select, then press right) and voila weapon selected.

Sargent_Ryan
07-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Goldeneye was like that how you have to switch through the guns and it was still probably my favorite game of all time just because of how much fun I had with it. I don't think something little like this would ruin a good game.

Spike Minoda
07-23-2002, 06:09 PM
in goldeneye press a to go forward tehn hold a and press z to go back

Brevity
07-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Matbe someone has already said it but, Perfect Dark had it nailed, one button that brought up a gun hud, then you pick or you can scroll throught them.

Reclaimer
07-23-2002, 08:38 PM
The D-pad is pretty much a good solution. It works pretty well in 007 Agent Under Fire. Up-Down toggles tools, Left-Right toggles weapons in inventory. Or just use the black-white buttons. Unless this game is going to be used with a Communicator, then those buttons would be out of the question.