PDA

View Full Version : XBox Cafe

blewis
07-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Thinking of starting up an XBox LAN Gaming Center. Would have several Boxs connected, all with surround sound and widescreen HDTV.

Might charge something like $3 per hour per gamer.

Would you go to something like that?

Thanks for the input!

Bakeman
07-23-2002, 03:59 PM
I might check it out..

would just make me jealous though! lol

Dre
07-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by blewis
Thinking of starting up an XBox LAN Gaming Center. Would have several Boxs connected, all with surround sound and widescreen HDTV.

Thanks for the input!

At 3$/hour that would be a steal! I would definitely go! Be really cool if you could like rent the whole place so you and a bunch of buddies could have some major fragfests!

Welcome to XBA my friend. An awesome Xbox site!

jmason
07-23-2002, 04:14 PM
Dude, I'd spend my lunch money on that. I don't have a very big screen at home, so getting a chance to paly multi-player on a bigggg screen would rock. Goodluck.

Keltiks
07-23-2002, 04:15 PM
I used to play at a computer place like that for $4 an hour. Round up a couple guys after school or whatever and play quake and command and conquer for hours. (they were big back then)
I think it would be a good idea, you could get some huge 8v8 halo games goin on.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
07-23-2002, 04:20 PM
Coolness, great idea...:D

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by blewis

Thanks for the input!

You should definitely do that. I think that is a very viable and entertaining line of business.

I also agree with the idea of renting of renting out hte place for private parties....(but that would be expensive (have to consider the amount of business lost) due to being basically "closed to the public" and also the irritance factor as well - to those left out.

you might want to have several "party rooms" with like up to 8 player "stations" per room that can be rented out for this purpose. That still leaves the other party rooms and the main area free to the public.

another idea would be to allow each party room to form as a clan to take on the other party rooms in contests.

like every first and third saturday from 8-10 p.m. it would be "Clan Night" with memberships, discounts, etc.
you could serve simple foods (if you wnated to go that route) and also sell gaming merchandise as a side.

there are several avenues you could take on this...depends on your location location location and what is the latest "craze"

anyway..that is some simple advice....

GOOD LUCK!! sounds fun!

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark

Your chalk full of ideas...the greatest idea ever.

That would be a good place to hang out. Like a bowling alley, and no one would get bored of it. It would be like an arcade. And a suggestion...when a new game comes out you could do like a private gaming room contest where you can have people play it before its out in your gaming rooms....maybe even give people the game. You could probally give the idea to ms after you do it (so no one takes your idea) and maybe get some recignition...who knows you might be known across the world

thats a great idea!

how about this one:

what you do is lets say a game comes out called "Clanwar X" (multiplayer fragfest)....what you do is you advertise a contest in one month, with prizes given away to the top players (or teams) . this generates interest. THEN, what you do is you sell the game "Clanwar X" at your place (and your sales will go up because people will want to play the game to practice for the tournemnt)

PLUS..they will log more hours playing the game in-shop to practice as well.

It wouldnt hurt to try those approaches.

Hey, if you are ever in the porltand, Oregon area and want to hire someone to help with business, i'd jump at the chance..i have decent ideas and I'd work hard to make the business a success ;)

i think it would be fun (and hopefully porfitable) for a group of hardcore addicts to get together as a business group to do something.

well...we can dream..right? ;)

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark
We should make our own clan, and when xbox live comes around we could all get together and beat everyone else...we would be like the XBAclan

That would rock.

"Are you mice......or...are...you ADDICTS!!! CHARRRGGGEEE!!!"

<trumpets blaring....weapons clanging.....blood running....and the skies turning black with the ashes of our fallen foes>

Snapple
07-23-2002, 05:15 PM
this is a good idea cause i love playing multiplayer on halo(not with my brother tho)and if you made a match with infinet grenades then there would be explosions everywere:eek:

Spike Minoda
07-23-2002, 05:21 PM
I'd do it for $5: but three is great where you doing this if you did?

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by symposiumx

That would rock.

"Are you mice......or...are...you ADDICTS!!! CHARRRGGGEEE!!!"

<trumpets blaring....weapons clanging.....blood running....and the skies turning black with the ashes of our fallen foes>

off topic a moment...my last post (the quote above) part of my post was cut off, edited out....by xba?
please tell me why this was edited, I don't think I swore or wrote anything bad?? I would liek ot know so that I can know where to 'draw the line' thanks!

on topic...I would assume this place would be set up in colorado (assuming that is where this post's originator is located at).

No reason that multiple ones couldnt be set up in every major city in the world though....right?

in the future we dont have sports championships anymore. we have virtual online sporting matches hahahaha

Plewis
07-23-2002, 05:35 PM
good idea.. .but stay away from my name!:D

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
good idea.. .but stay away from my name!:D

what would your name be? clan name?

Plewis
07-23-2002, 05:42 PM
look at my member name... look at his. They are 1 letter apart... and p upside down is b...:eek:

symposiumx
07-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
look at my member name... look at his. They are 1 letter apart... and p ubside down is b...:eek:

good point.

I just figured you were like cousins or something.

"this is my brother daryl and my other brother daryl"

Sargent_Ryan
07-23-2002, 05:56 PM
I would definately go but you only have one problem. Start it up in Wilkes-Barre Pa not Colorado.

Zion
07-23-2002, 06:13 PM
Only DORKS would go to a place like that.

I'M THERE!!!!

Bakeman
07-23-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Zion
Only DORKS would go to a place like that.

I'M THERE!!!!

LOL!!! I'M THERE!

symposiumx
07-24-2002, 02:15 PM
questions on this.

Would it be a "LAN' with XBOX's or with PC's? Xbox's would be limited on games availible wouldnt they?

I would relaly love to open a place like this in Portland. I spent most of yesterday thinking about how to make it work.

AM I the only one drooling over the possibility of this?

Knight
07-24-2002, 02:24 PM
If you opened one in IL yes!!

mrmp3
07-24-2002, 03:12 PM
There was something like this in my area 4 years back. They had a bunch of old skool arcade games that were awesome (the original Gauntlet, Golden Axe) etc. Playstation, SNES, and N64. They had a bunch of games and basically whenever you wanted to play one you went up to the counter and he'd unlock the case that had the N64 inside (a good way to prevent theft of your systems) and switched the games and relocked it. The only problem they had was they rented out this place off a main road which I had never been down in my life. No matter how much they advertised, they were just in the wrong location and after 3 months went out of business. But they did have a contest for an N64 if you beat everyone in Goldeneye in this tourney. They had sign up sheets like 3 weeks in advance to hype everything. Here are some other things they did which may or may not come in handy:

-Post newspaper ads in local paper every once in a while

-lock your systems in some sort of cabinet so that controllers or the system can not be stolen

-this I thought was an excellent idea. They had a card system of all the people that came. Basically if it was your first time, you filled out this card that had telephone number, e-mail address, name, mailing address etc. If you came 5 times, your next visit was free. Also when it came time for contests or days when they had discounts, they could mail you notices which I thought was wicked awesome and it kept me clued in. Or with the e-mail address you could just e-mail the info to all your customers.

-I think you should have some other options besides like $3 an hour. Technically it is a steal for someone without an Xbox but people with Xboxes might as well go home and play system link with friends and rent games for $5. So maybe have an hour fee, a 3-hour fee, and an all day-fee.

-make posters and put'em all over town

There was a lot of arcades and systems at the one up by me so the all day thing worked out fine. I could see how if you had just the 4 xboxes it might not work out. Also, I don't now how big you are making this so some of these ideas may seem ridiculous.

That's all I can think of. One more thing, I kind of remember seeing something in the Halo instruction book about needing permission to rent, use in public, or pay-to-play purposes. LOL I haven't read that instruction book for ages so just check it out I don't think you'd wanna get shut down for somethin u didn't know was illegal. Maybe you could just e-mail Bungie or somethin and find out. Signing off...

symposiumx
07-24-2002, 04:55 PM
or maybe if it was basically exclusive microsoft items then they would be linient to the sales and use....

those are some great ideas. thanks!

IN the past I have drawn out detailed business ideas for a coffee shop/music place...and i think I'm now revising that into more of this idea....

Location is of course key, as well as advertising. The other hard part is finding investors.

starduster
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
yeah. i also have my mind on open a business like tat. but have a question about it.
"did we need to get any license or authorization from microsoft for xbox cafe? or just need the local authority for business license?"
[actually i am more interesting to know about the microsoft licensing particular]
hope anyone can give a guide to my question and thanks in advance.

mattgame
01-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Sell drinks and snacks too. Have contests and special events when a great game is coming out. It would be a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!

ll Mista GT ll
01-26-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah. i also have my mind on open a business like tat. but have a question about it.
"did we need to get any license or authorization from microsoft for xbox cafe? or just need the local authority for business license?"
[actually i am more interesting to know about the microsoft licensing particular]
hope anyone can give a guide to my question and thanks in advance.

Hey! Welcome to XBA! Glad you know how to use the search feature! :p

SamSmith
01-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Welcome to XBA. Please make sure to check the dates of posts within threads, If you are interested in setting up this business just go ahead and make a new thread about it :)