PDA

View Full Version : Halo AI difficulties

Dre
07-23-2002, 03:56 PM
Hi all,

This is about the different difficulties for the campaign part of Halo. Ok, well.. like anyone, the first couple of times playing Legendary I got my ass handed to me. So, I started playing Heroic.. and I thought that was a bit too easy after a while so I started playing legendary. Things were slow.. I kept on dying, but I learnt all these really amazing techniques/skills.

That was then, this is now. I walk through legendary now (I must say that it helps that I know almost the whole game by heart). I want something even harder!!!

I'm hoping that Bungie is going to up the notch again and deliver something even harder than legendary for Halo 2. Sure, it will probably take a while until I can successfully pass to the 1st checkpoint, but once I've improved my skills, it will give me one heck of a cool challenge!

So tell me what you think! Do you think the AI is ok the way it is now, or should it be improved even more to offer an even bigger challenge to the skilled player? It would be neat if the difficulties were something like "Normal, Heroic, Legendary and Newname" :)

fowlowl
07-23-2002, 04:32 PM
I am a FPS fanatic. And consider myself a great Halo player. But legendary is ridiculously hard. I have trouble believing you can walk through legendary. Not that I dont believe you're good enough at Halo. I just thought, at least by my standards, that Bungie made legendary basically impossible. If you're really that good then go for that RCA plasma, I might as well forget signing up for the Halo tournament. (Cool thing about XboxLive is you're going to have to prove that you're really that good against me)

I only could beat the first level because they all team up against you in the other levels with relentless force. I only could beat the other levels using co-op and switching controllers, so I can regenerate after going kamakazi.

Personally, I thought Bungie made Legendary way too hard, which made it frustrating. (Thank God at least for the checkpoints) But if people are really that good, then GoldenEye comes to mind. They should make (for Halo 2) a mode similar to 007 mode where players get to chose the amount of life, accuracy, and reaction time of their enemies. Just imagine the Elites and Hunters with 100% accuracy, 100% reaction time, and 1000% life. YIKES! Maybe they shouldnt add that. If they did, I'd never be able to sleep again.

fowlowl

OppiumNitrates
07-23-2002, 04:39 PM
well for Halo II: Combat further Evolved . . .

i think that first off the campaign mode will be playable with 2 to 4 or maybe even 8 people accross the XBL network . . . so if they do this they should have 2 difficulty settings:

1. for the AI of the enemies (Normal, Heroic, Legendary, Suicide, 7th level of Hell . . . whatever)

and 2. for the number of players that r playing through the board or game . . .like if its only 2 poeple u can put it on Legendary and set it for 4 people, but u will have that many more enemies . . . and vichles and stuff too . . .

only time will tell . .. .

shrew king
07-23-2002, 07:14 PM
legendary is hard

I thought so too at first, but once you play long enough you get tactics down, like Hunters, i got my my a$$ handed to me (sorry i stole that from you dre, funny way to put it though) but once you learn how to kill them, I couldnt believe how easy it was, and when I first started, i didnt use grenades cause they never did anything for me, but now i know exactly how to use them to their full potential, im hoping for a new level of errr... hardness i guess you would say? my question is what would u call the next level of... hardness, lol.

BTW, I dont think they would call it suicide cause thats what it said legendary was in legendaries description. "to attempt this is suicide" is what it says, or something like that.

cityson
07-23-2002, 11:34 PM
Just play the co-op mode.....You know, one guy hides and the other goes.....When the guy died, the hiding guy will revive the gone one.....Simple. I beated the game easily like that.....

Tinny
07-24-2002, 06:58 AM
Actually, I do think the A.I. should be put up a notch. I don't want a added difficulty setting though. Legendary should have very intelligent A.I. with only a slight increase of power (slightly less then the one we have now) but have more numbers and smarts. I want them to throw more grenades to flush me out and set up more ambush tactics. Also, since Halo 2 will have more different types of enemies I guess it will be great to see some sort of comanding unit. Oh, and your marines should have increased smarts aswell. I am sick and tired of them dying so much. In Legendary you really can't be bothered trying to save them since they die 80% of the time.

Easy - Slightly harder the it is now.
Normal - Slightly harder then it is now.
Heroic - Same as it is now. Slight increase of friendly smarts.
Legendary - More smarts for both enemy and friendly units. Slightly less power in attack then it is now.

Dre
07-24-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by fowlowl
I am a FPS fanatic. And consider myself a great Halo player. But legendary is ridiculously hard. I have trouble believing you can walk through legendary. Not that I dont believe you're good enough at Halo. I just thought, at least by my standards, that Bungie made legendary basically impossible. If you're really that good then go for that RCA plasma, I might as well forget signing up for the Halo tournament. (Cool thing about XboxLive is you're going to have to prove that you're really that good against me)

I only could beat the first level because they all team up against you in the other levels with relentless force. I only could beat the other levels using co-op and switching controllers, so I can regenerate after going kamakazi.

Personally, I thought Bungie made Legendary way too hard, which made it frustrating. (Thank God at least for the checkpoints) But if people are really that good, then GoldenEye comes to mind. They should make (for Halo 2) a mode similar to 007 mode where players get to chose the amount of life, accuracy, and reaction time of their enemies. Just imagine the Elites and Hunters with 100% accuracy, 100% reaction time, and 1000% life. YIKES! Maybe they shouldnt add that. If they did, I'd never be able to sleep again.

fowlowl

You learn tricks that you need for survival... like the covenant..
I don't think you can get a better combo (snipers, rockets aside) than dual pistols. Charge up the plasma to knock off shields/armor and then one headshot with the human pistol. Take care of elites in 2 shots. You also get really good at knowing which grenades to use, and where to shoot.

Like how to bounce a frag grenade off a wall... I love those.. you hear the frag grenade bounce a couple of times followed by many screams :)

Reclaimer
07-25-2002, 08:20 AM
The only real improvement I'd like to see is the Marine AI improved. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good already, but there are just a few things that are weird. Like if you are running down a hallway with a bunch of marines, they fan out all over the place which is cool, but they'll stop right in front of you and face you and get in the way all the time. Kind of like they got lost. Or like when you are trying to set up a raid of some sort with you co-op partner and then all the marines haul ass past you and blow the thing you where planning. Or even funny things like the fact that they must point their gun to your head every time one of them talks to you. I work with my marines as much as I can, and I protect them as much as I can, maybe not as much on Legendary though, but I feel like I'm having to race ahead of them to keep them from getting in the way. They shoot at you if you get the way! It's like there is no concept of line of fire.
As for the enemy, maybe make grunts smarter. The marines are cannon fodder for the most part and they're smart. The grunts are just cannon fodder for the convenant. THey could be a little smarter. I'm talking about the easy levels though. On Legendary even the Grunts will open up a can of whoop ass on us.
While I'm at it, they should rename Legenadary to Suicide or borrow a little from Doom and call it Ultraviolence.