PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah, now I remember why I bought an XBOX...

yall
07-23-2002, 08:48 PM
My issue of PC gamer came today and I tried to install and play Battlefield 1942. I actually got to play for 3 seconds. 3 was also the number of times that it crashed before I uninstalled it. The graphics looked okay for what little time I saw the game. Guess I'll wait to buy the version which won't require me to make sure all of my drivers are updated and that no extraneous processes or applications are running in the background. Damn pc's (still love 'em though, god knows why???).

Also, for those of you who enjoy football, I highly suggest going to the nfl fever site and watching the trailer. I'm pumped.

Toonz
07-23-2002, 09:11 PM
lol yeah I am in the same boat as you. I hate worrying about compatibility as well. I have 2 friends who purchased Voodoo 5's once upon a time and now they have nothing but trouble with new games. With all the new vidcards being anounced and all having there own technology this is gonna be a onward trend. There something so comforting about bringing home a new game and it works perfect without screwing around for a hour first to optimize its performance

GokuX
07-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Voodoo 5, ouch.

Exatox
07-24-2002, 06:52 AM
For the longest time I was having problems running Morrowind for any extended period of time on my computer (extended being more than one minute). I still wanted it for the PC though, because of the large number of patches and such for it. I found out that it was my video card driver for my GeForce4 card. Now i cannot be pulled away from the game for anything.

robnyack
07-24-2002, 06:17 PM
I hear ya, thread parent!

I had given up on console gaming after dreamcast (I had N64 previous to that, and sega genesis previos to that). I just got sick of a game market that continually put out 90% kiddie games.

So, after what I thought was a horrible bunch of dreamcast games, I went to pc gaming and gave up on consoles. While pc gaming is fun, and cool, there is also a major frustration level that comes with pc gaming.

When I head xbox was coming out and gearing towards a more adult audience, my eyes lit up!! I have been quite happy eve since. And still play the occasional pc game (just got GTA3 for the pc....copy, of course!), but most my gaming is now down on the xbox.

BigGamer X
07-26-2002, 05:21 PM
Xbox is really great because it will have game's for EVERYONE. Blinx and other platformer's for young in's', and FPS, rpg's and such for the older gamer's. Also, I just could never see spending 300-400 $$$$ for a card that'll be outdated in 9 month's or less! Xbox cost's 200 now, HALF the price of a Geforce 4, and will have game's coming out for year's that actually take advantage of what it can do. Not like vid card's, you get a window of a few game's, then it's overlooked for more powerfull card's. (Geforce 5, anyone? Coming fall 2003, just 9 month's after you've bought that now piece of junk Geforce 4 !!:D ) XBOX 2 will have something on the order of a Geforce 8-11. (disclaimer, I am awefully glad other people are willing to pay for Geforce 4's and whatnot, or they would never advance:D ....the only card I ever bought was Voodoo 2, and this is my 3rd pc, dunno if I get one for this or not......)