PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting really sick of Demo disks not working!!!

consolegamer
07-24-2002, 08:35 AM
I'm paying alot of money for magazines. I expect the demo disks to work properly. I'm sick of going to the store, buying my magazine, popping in the demo disk and getting a read error or skipping etc. I don't have a subscription for OXM, so I pay like 8 or 9 dollars for it. Bullsheeeit in my opinion.:(

Casper
07-24-2002, 08:44 AM
Yo, what's up consolegamer, have patience Daniel-san. Try and clean the lens, it may be dirty. Also, another trick that I heard has worked with a bunch of people, is delete all of the past OXM disk files that are on the hard drive. That should work bud :)

SkoalMint
07-24-2002, 08:47 AM
Yea. You should definitely delete the old OXM save files. I'd also recommend deleting save files from games you have rented. Especially if you don't plan on playing them again.

Casper (or anyone else for that matter), is there any particular type of lens cleaner you would recommend?

Spaztic
07-24-2002, 08:54 AM
xbox's lasers are very weak, M$ did this to try to eliminate pirating. There are two different types of drives a phillips and a thompsons. The newer xboxs have tompsons drives which read disks better. The only way to fix this problem is to get a newer xbox or increase the intensity of the laser on your old box. Once the laser is increased you xbox will be able to read every type of cd-rw w/o a problem!

Also like mentioned above. The save files on some of those oxm disks corrupt on your hard drive, remove those files and any others from your harddrive that you don't need!

Alien
07-24-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
xbox's lasers are very weak, M$ did this to try to eliminate pirating. There are two different types of drives a phillips and a thompsons. The newer xboxs have tompsons drives which read disks better. The only way to fix this problem is to get a newer xbox or increase the intensity of the laser on your old box. Once the laser is increased you xbox will be able to read every type of cd-rw w/o a problem!

Also like mentioned above. The save files on some of those oxm disks corrupt on your hard drive, remove those files and any others from your harddrive that you don't need! Sorry for this being off-topic, but do you know when Microsoft started putting in the new Thompsons lasers? I was just curious of which one I have...I bought my Xbox in Febuary.

Spaztic
07-24-2002, 09:20 AM
It really depends, I have seen some people just buy a xbox and get a phillips laser. The only way to tell is to open your xbox and read the label on the laser!

Alien
07-24-2002, 09:23 AM
It really depends, I have seen some people just buy a xbox and get a phillips laser. The only way to tell is to open your xbox and read the label on the laser! Oh, okay. I don't think I'll be opening up mine any time soon lol...I can live with having either laser, my Xbox is working fine. Thanks

SkoalMint
07-24-2002, 09:26 AM
increase the intensity of the laser on your old box.

Is this difficult to do? Also, it is legal? I'm not worried about voiding the warranty; I just don't want to do anything that might affect my ability to use Xbox Live.

Spaztic
07-24-2002, 09:28 AM
you need a multimeter to read the intensity....this would be a project for a person with some electronic backround...Honestly if your xbox works to try to fix it! =)

Snapple
07-24-2002, 09:31 AM
it could just be the stores demo disc cause every one of mine work great(or im just taking care of my xbox and xbox games,no affience)

spliffdUP
07-24-2002, 03:23 PM
I used to have problems with the demo discs too, they used to freeze and take forever to load. Then one day when I was playing the street hoops demo the screen went black and there was this really loud buzzing sound. I thought my Xbox was broken after that but when I restarted it everything worked perfect and the demos loaded right away.

robnyack
07-24-2002, 06:09 PM
i have a subscription to OXM and have never had a problem with the demo disk.

Plewis
07-24-2002, 06:47 PM
you need a multimeter to read the intensity....this would be a project for a person with some electronic backround...Honestly if your xbox works to try to fix it! =)

Shagster... u no Im interested in modding... and I have a launch xbox... will that affect its ability to read CD-RWs and CD-R's?

Snoopy7548
07-24-2002, 07:09 PM
i heard that, when someones xbox breaks or something, and you send it in. microsoft like puts a new laser thingy in. it was on the xboxhacker.net in the forums.

smashnp934
07-24-2002, 07:28 PM
forget all this talk about lasers....damn, look at Shaggy's avatar! =P

consolegamer
07-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by xboxfan38
it could just be the stores demo disc cause every one of mine work great(or im just taking care of my xbox and xbox games,no affience)

I am probably the most careful person with my Xbox. I actually make my friends wash their hands before they even touch my controllers. I even clean store bought games because of specks of paper from the manual get on the disk. even after I get a haircut, i'll get into the shower and wash good before i'm near it. I think I have ocd.:cool:

Snoopy7548
07-26-2002, 10:44 AM
i think you do too. lol. i dont care if my friends wash their hands before touching my xbox. even if im eating goldfish or something, i just wipe my hands on a napkin, and then play. i dont wash them. lol

No Fear 23
07-26-2002, 01:14 PM
screw their disk
it gives me gas
cause it gives me problems
i like the mag. tho
its tyte
peace.:cool: