PDA

View Full Version : a few questions for all u guys out there with an hdtv

Jason1010
10-28-2001, 10:43 PM
Is it better to go with 16x9 or regular??? what are some other tips u can give me for picking out a good high quality hdtv???

Heyyoudvd
10-28-2001, 11:11 PM
I don't have HDTV because I can't afford it, but if you're getting it, get 16:9.

If you have a dvd player (you should), then you definitely want the widescreen. Most DVDs are widescreen and it's such a pain having to watch that on a 4:3 since either the picture is stretched, or there are black strips at the top and bottom.

Make sure the HDTV supports porgressive scan (preferable 720P), and generally, the best brand names for TVs are Sonys and possible Panasonics.

With most TVs, only have the lines ( the odd ones OR the even ones) are displayed at any given time. This is because most TVs are not technologically capable of putting all the lines on at the same time. So, half the lines are shown, then the other half (evens then odds, or odd then evens) and your eye naturally put the lines together in your mind since this happens so fast. However, the picture quality isn;t as good because of this.

HDTVs also support progressive scan, which mean that all the lines are displayed at once, improving the picture quality.

So, when you get an HDTV, get a good brand name (probably sony), with an aspect ratio of 16:9, and make sure it suppots 1024 i (1024 lines interlaced, which means that half are shows at a time), AND make sure it supports 720P.

Sorry, but I don't know much more about HDTVs.

Marc
10-28-2001, 11:15 PM
Yeah, what he said. Especially the parts about make sure it supports progressive scan and gt 16:9. The human eye actually sees things in a 16:9 layout, which is why they started making screns in 16:9. wide screen is the way to go. You will not be disappointed if you go with a progressive scan 16:9 widescreen HDTV.

Jason1010
10-29-2001, 07:12 AM
thanx for the info guys! now i just gotta go buy one :D (By the Super Bowl of couse :D :D :D)

DOOM
10-29-2001, 08:10 AM
I Know The Games Will Be In PScan but Will The XBOX Play DVD Movies In Progressive Scann or not? Otherwise I Will Have To Fork Out More Loot For a DVD That Plays In PSCAN With My HDTV... By The Way, If You Watch Anything Else On a Wide Screen HDTV Other Than DVD, You Get BLACK BOARDERS ON The Left & Rite Sides. Hence a 42 inch screen will = a 27 inch... Go With The Regular Screen...

Thanks!!!

MensurB
10-29-2001, 11:05 AM
I have a Sony 50" TV, how do i find out if it's an HDTV?

Jason1010
10-29-2001, 05:53 PM
By The Way, If You Watch Anything Else On a Wide Screen HDTV Other Than DVD, You Get BLACK BOARDERS ON The Left & Rite Sides. Hence a 42 inch screen will = a 27 inch... Go With The Regular Screen...

Doom, are u serious??? Do u know that for sure??? Cause if so then i would have to go with your choice and get the regular tv.... sheesh... i didn't think that was the way it worked...:eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :(

DOOM
10-29-2001, 09:26 PM
Yes I Am serious...
Thats Why I Didnt Get the Widescreen HdTv...
I Have The Regular Square HDTV one...

Jason1010
10-29-2001, 09:54 PM
well, thanx for the info. i wish some others would give there input on that though... i wanna know which is better still... although i am considerring ditching the widescreen idea now, doom.

SquirrelJam
10-29-2001, 10:12 PM
Jason1010, Doom is partially correct. But do NOT neglect a wide screen just because some things only broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio.

If you get a widescreen, then you have that capability available whenever you need it. However, if you limit yourself to a regular screen, you will always have to suffer that choice. More and more things are going widescreen. If you can afford it, do it right and choose NOT to settle for the limiting "regular" screen. You won't be sorry.

Personally, I'm focused on eventually getting a thin, Plasmatron HD widescreen. This is the future. You're either a part of it or your chasing it.

Good Luck

Jason1010
10-29-2001, 10:58 PM
thanx for the 2nd oppinion... i think i am going to go with widescreen after all :D :D :D

DOOM
10-30-2001, 07:42 AM
That Will Be In About 8 years Dude.. 99% Of Things Broadcasted Do not utilise the Widescreen... Like I Said 42 Inch = 27 Inch! If All You Do Is Watch DVD's All Day, Fine.But If You Like Regular TV, CAble, Video tapes, Get Regular screen... By The Time I Need WS I'll Just Get a New One...
As Fo Plasma, Wait For anothet 4 Years... They are working on getting the liquid out of em & Replacing It With a GAS...
Suposed To Blow Plasma out the water!
If You Go With The WS, Youll See...
I Have Family Who Work in J&R TV World,
They Know The Skizzy!

l Maximus l
10-30-2001, 05:45 PM
D A M N, Doom...why is it that you capitalize every first letter of each word? Amazing........:D

Jason1010
10-30-2001, 07:37 PM
AHHHHHHH!!!! i dont know what to do lol :D i think i will just go ask some guy at sears about all this when i buy it cause if u are right doom then hell yeah im getting a normal screen but if u aren't for some reason then i would want to go with ws.... either way... my tv will be way better than the one i have now :D :D :D

DOOM
10-30-2001, 07:57 PM
LOL....
Oh & Go With The MONSTER Cables. AWESOME!!!

Jason1010
10-30-2001, 08:31 PM
the what???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Rancey
10-31-2001, 12:10 AM
I have a few questions about HDTV's myself. Being in Australia a 29" screen is considered 'big'. Now from what I have heard in US this isn't even average. I myself was looking at around getting a 29" hdtv as I would still think this is big....but I mean MensurB mentioned having a 50" tv!?!? My god! That is absolutely mammoth!!!!! So how much do hdtv's range from in price? Let's take a Sony 29" hdtv compared to a 50" hdtv...could someone tell me what kind of price this beast of a tv would set someone back???

Marc
10-31-2001, 12:26 AM
I saw a 65 inch TV for 4500. A 54 inch would be around 3000. A 42 inch should suffice, but it will cost you around 2500 to 3000 US. I noticed that a 42 in TV cost the same as the 54 in, but the difference is the 42 in was all glass picture tube. The bigger ones are plastic or something.

scarecrow kfj
10-31-2001, 11:26 AM
Well I couldnt even read on to the second page so please forgive me if I rewrite what someone else has said. FIRST off there is hdtv and hdtv ready if it says ready that means you will still have to buy a converter. Second 16:9 is the way to go. Sports as well as alot of other shows are starting to offer that option for hdtv and all will be that way soon. As far as name brands. Choose what you like. But be wary of brands that you know dont work to well. See I will never buy a ge or something along that line. I like sony pannisonic and samsung. Samsung is probably my fav but the hardest to find. I know sony has problems with there tvs. I know I will get some bashing for that but My friend had to exchange his cause they couldnt fix it and it wasnt even a year old, now I am having problems with my wega. My samsung has never givin me a problem.

l Maximus l
10-31-2001, 12:47 PM
As for name brands, Panasonic has come a very long way. They used to not be one of the best, now they are definately in the top 5 or so. Personally, I'm a major Toshiba fan...they have been #1 for consumer reports for the last 7 straight years...and before that, within the top 3.

Sony is good (I won't bash you Scarecrow...Remember, Sony makes Playstation, as well :D hehe). Phillips has done a lot of impressive work, too. Samsungs, as mentioned before, are also very good and, yes, they are very difficult to find.

scarecrow kfj
10-31-2001, 12:50 PM
I did forget toshiba and hitatchi. Best 5 brands to get .

adamchen
10-31-2001, 01:18 PM
I recommend a 4:3 HDTV because:

1. With an 16:9 TV, many DVDs will still have black bars on top and bottom, even after "stretching". This is because not all movies are shot 16:9
2. Most current HDTV broadcasts OTA (over the air) and by Satellite are still 4:3, so you see a much smaller picture. (I was really dissappointed when I found that out)
3. If the 16:9 TV is a rear projection, you cannot watch more than 20% 4:3 programming or else there will be uneven burn on the sides. Uneven burn on top and bottom on a 4:3 TV is not as noticiable because 4:3 programs are not generally high quality to begin with.
4. 95% of all current available programming is 4:3, some previous 16:9 HDTV broadcasts are being discontinued - like Monday Night Football
5. 4:3 HDTV are generally cheaper

Of course a 4:3 is not as cool.

DOOM
10-31-2001, 04:14 PM
Thank You Adamchen...