PDA

View Full Version : Controller Slots

Tinny
07-26-2002, 07:29 AM
Hey, I hope this is the right forum.

I have an idea. Not a very impressive idea but an idea. I was just wondering about the controller slots... how versatile are they? What sort of input are they allow to recieve and send to the X-Box? We already are using the memory cards and will be putting the Communicator on it, so I'm just wondering what it exactly does apart from supplying power. Anyway, my idea:

Light guns. Now, I was wondering if it will be possible to make some sort of light gun "pointer" and connect it to the slots. So it works just like a light gun except without the actual gun, and you have to use the trigger button to fire. Also, my brother has a weird idea of using dual pistols (left and right trigger) ingame or something like that. I won't bother gonig into that, but I wouldn't mind having some facts about the controller slots. I think the X-Box controller is great and I feel that it would be even better if something like a light gun pointer can be used on it. Not only is this cheaper then buy a light gun it would allow other things to happen (like a heart/pulse monitor, mini TV/secondary camera ingame etc)

So what do you think? Would it be possible for the slots to be used in this way? Would you like the idea of your pulse being monitored so the game can "costomise" itself to you? OR are you like me? Wanting cheaper stuff. :D

wweomaniac
07-26-2002, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't like the idea of holding something so unbalanced with one hand. You would probably be holding it with your right hand therefore leaving the left side of the controller just adding weight.

They are coming out with a gun to use for House of the Dead 3 and it should be compatible with any shooting game (like HoTD 3).

I don't think XBox is even coming out with that many HoTD 3 type shooting games so a gun will be near pointless. I don't plan on buying HoTD 3.

Crazy Joe
07-26-2002, 09:42 AM
I was also wondering what kind of stuff will be coming out for those slots, i mean, why have 2 slots if the only thing you can use it for are memory cards and the communicator, i would think they will be coming out with more stuff.

Tkf5000
07-26-2002, 10:33 AM
no offense but thats kinda a dumb idea. why would u want to use your controller as a light gun?? the adaptor would probly cost just as much as the gun itself.

Keltiks
07-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Doesn't hurt to be imaginative. But a product like this would not have a good cost-benefit analysis. How about Dolby Digital 5.1 compatible headphones that plug into the controller port.

Can headphones have 5.1? Doubt it. Would be cool anyway though.

Hugh_Jass
07-26-2002, 10:19 PM
The controller ports are simply modified USB ports. They can do just about anything you can imagine. That is the beauty of the XBOX design.

Highlite23
07-27-2002, 02:07 AM
Darn you Hugh, you beat me to it again.;)

Tinny
07-27-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Tkf5000
no offense but thats kinda a dumb idea. why would u want to use your controller as a light gun?? the adaptor would probly cost just as much as the gun itself.

The controller has a trigger button, several other buttons and pretty much acts like a gun anyways. The cost will be less then a light gun y'know, since you are only buying the pointer.

Originally posted by wweomaniac
I wouldn't like the idea of holding something so unbalanced with one hand. You would probably be holding it with your right hand therefore leaving the left side of the controller just adding weight.

Quite true, but the easiest way to deal with that problem on the controller is use both hands. Also, the controller is kinda light and you just have to place you left (or right) under the controller to hold it up. I already use both hands for all light guns anyway.
Oh, and you can use dual pistols of something like that, so you can fire from both left and right triggers.

OK, so the light gun idea ain't that great to you guys, but atleast I know the slots could be utilize in many ways. And it's cheaper. The Dolby Digital 5.1 head phones are a great idea and it will be brilliant for cooperative games like Halo. So each person can have their own. I wonder if it's implemented on the Communicator, they should. Oh, and there's some news about tons of X-Box equipment like this hand grip or whatever. I better look into that.