PDA

View Full Version : Prisoner of War

Mecanik
07-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Just have to say what a jolly good game Prisoner of War is as it doesn't seem to be mentioned here much.
I wouldn't say it was totally excellent, there are some odd things that happen, but all though they detract a bit from realism, they stop the game from being totally impossible.
Earlier while playing I had a guard stand right next to me, saying I think I see something but not actually catching me. This makes you very carefully move away and think of a way to get away fromt he guard as he will follow you now, though still not capturing you. You also learn very quickly the benifit of analogue sticks. Never bothered to use the inbetween sections of the sticks but in POW, when disguised, if you run your caught, so learn to walk.
Have heard it described as a point and click adventure in 3D, which I can see but there is so much more. Also the voices of some characters are very, very stereotyped. Think of any national bad accent and it is probably in POW. But they do it evenly to all of them so its fair and doesn't really detract from the game and I find it quite amusing. They really are there, from the French "He haw,he haw" to the German Kommandant and the New Yorker.

If you really like carnage and blood shed dont bother, none at all. If you like a challenge, like to think and have always wanted to escape from Colditz, go for it.
Sorry if this is a bit fragmented but ask any questions and you shall recieve an answer.
Also you can laugh at the PS2 owners as apparently Sony US have caused problems with the license so it isnt being realesed in the US on PS2 until possibly September!!

Tkf5000
07-27-2002, 07:22 PM
ha sony gets it late. but no guns and bloodshed?? thats mean, whats the world coming to a happyland? the guards should have guns. if they didnt u could easily escape! is the game in levels or is it open ended and u need to make a plan? and is there any fighting at all? and can u drive trucks, ive seen some trucks in screens.

Snoopy7548
07-27-2002, 07:45 PM
lol. al gore's wife probly got to it before the developers could add the guns and violence. lol.:) :D :eek: :confused:

Mecanik
07-28-2002, 07:44 AM
Sorry, gave the wrong idea. Guards have guns and shoot you if you run off, you just dont get to use guns or violence, which is fair enough as in POW camps if any prisoner did the whole camp would have been shot.
There are levels, the different camps you go to, plus missions within those camps, say to get some bellows to help ventilate an escape tunnel. How you get them, when you get them and what you do get them is up to you. You could steal a German uniform and walk straight in, though watch out as you cant open gates and Leiutenants will recognise your a fake, or sneak in during the dead of night and break in to where ever has them.
As for trucks, so far I haven't had the need to. Had to sneak in to the back of one to get out of a camp. How they would work it so you would have to, or be able to I'm not sure, though as I get further I'll let you know.
No one seems to know what is going on with Sony US. It only seems to be Sony US as POW has been released in the UK on PS2 and X-box. There is a big hoo har on the Codemasters forum, but the Codemasters Admin isn't saying much, just that it is down to Sony US not agreeing the license yet. Some very irrate people over this though!!

Duke
07-28-2002, 11:59 AM
I'm still not decided on this one. Definitely a renter. It does appeal to me on a Space Quest-solve the puzzle type of thing, but a WWII game w/out guns? Blasphemy.

Anyway, I'm willing to give it a shot, at least it's a new idea and there are few enough of those around these days.

Tkf5000
07-29-2002, 10:23 AM
if u kill a guard and take his uniform u cant take his gun? how dumb is that?

Mecanik
07-29-2002, 03:35 PM
Errrm, its not dumb at all coz you cant kill them at all, full stop. So you dont get the chance to take their guns. Their is no killing in it, well on your part. It is a sneak em up, ala Thief or Metal Gear, but taken further. I think you will either really like it or not get it and give up. As I said above, its part point and click adventure, your Day of the tentacle (Ohhh what a game), part free roaming what you want to do, within reason of the game.
So as I said you cant kill guards, because if POW's had, if not the whole camp then a portion, would have been taken out and shot. They kinda puts a end to the game there and then. No come back, no last man stand, end of game. So that would have been a bit of a silly choice to make or put in a game. Which is also why the guards dont shoot you out right, normally in the leg. Not realistic, but at least you get to come back in the infirmary ready to carry on, though having lost time. Hire it out to get the idea fully. It is well done, only a few rough edges, but I can see why they were left in. If they hadn't the game would have been a stinker to play. Very realistic, but not much fun.

Tkf5000
07-29-2002, 03:41 PM
so u get as many chances as u want. u just keep gettin shot in the leg and comin back? u never get executed after so many times??

Duke
07-30-2002, 06:37 AM
Tfk, that's a silly question. How many times have died in Halo?

If I wanted to make that game based on your attitude I have a feeling that most people would have to throw the game away when they died the first time (probably lvl2)

Of course you get to keep trying over. Not since the early days of vids have you actually had to start over from the beginning after dying, or at least till your 2 continues ran out.

Mecanik
07-30-2002, 08:08 AM
Basically yes Tfk. The kindly ole Germans fix you up and send you back out to keep trying, but you have lost some time, which is basically what gives you a score at the end, plus you have been shot, which counts against you and captured, which counts against you, so you are still penalised. You vcan restrat from a save pointbut this is kinda regulated, as you can only save in your barracks, by your bed and when you reload you have to start from a time skip point, so morning roll call, afternoon exercise or evening roll call.
Duke if my experience is anything to go by, it would be lvl1. You forget first few times that there really is no where to run to .
:eek:

Tkf5000
07-30-2002, 09:43 AM
ok so if im a prsisoner and if i die 200 times, they just keep fixin me up and they never execute you. youd think theyd exucute u after u tried to escape so many times.

Snoopy7548
07-30-2002, 04:54 PM
who cares? its just a videogame. videogames arent supposed to be real.

dronezero
07-31-2002, 08:37 PM
This game sounds intriguing. To bad it's not out yet over hear.

I love point and click adventures. Gabriel Knight is a classic (in both senses of the word) game, and I would recomend it to any other fans of that type of game.