PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with the xbox...

Marc
07-27-2002, 08:02 PM
I haven't really travelled much with my xbox. I put it in hte G-Pak to make sure it fit, but other than a coupel of short trips, that's about it. I am thinking of traveling with it on an airline over Christmas break. Do I have to be extra careful with it because of the hard drive or is it relatively safe to carry it around on a long trip like this? Post your longest trip if you have one...

smashnp934
07-27-2002, 10:38 PM
If you are going to be the one handling it, I would not worry about it, unless you are prone to dropping things. If it was going below the belly of the plane with other luggage, I would cry. Seriously put it alone in one luggage bag with styrofoam or something filling the interior. Regardless of where it's gonna be, the main thing I would be worried about is the xbox having to go through security and being scanned. Any magnetism would be very very bad on the hard drive.

wweomaniac
07-27-2002, 10:52 PM
I always travel back and forth from my friends house with it. I usually bike also. I also have the G-Pak. the ride is about 5 kilometres, and there are bumps on the way.

My XBox started making sounds about amonth ago. I think it was because of the bumpiness. Be cautious when travelling with XBox.

Nas
07-27-2002, 11:46 PM
I take my Xbox over to my friends houses like every other day. I've been doing that since June, when I got it. They are fiends for the online Halo, lol. I put it in an old laptop bag, put it in the passenger seat of my honda and drive on over there. I was afraid at first that this could be bad, because I think that's how my first ps2 got broken (because i brought it over to places all the time). But i bought my xbox from a friend who's had it since launch. And even he brought it from city to city every weekend, and it is still in good condition right now. So i think that as long as you don't treat it bad by dropping or banging it, it will be just fine man! ;)

Marc
07-27-2002, 11:52 PM
Damn, I didn't even think of the magnetization problems that could result from being scanned...that would SUCK. Maybe I'll leave it at home and go to my friend's house when I'm here.

Donaldson
07-28-2002, 03:05 AM
I have traveled with mine on an airplane more than once. Other than them taking it out to make sure it isn't a bomb after it goes through the X-Ray machine it was fine. This is how I look at it--if you can travel with a laptop why not an XBox.

Keltiks
07-28-2002, 03:06 AM
I took all my sweatshirts and wrapped it around the xbox and just put it in my suitcase. I've done this a few times and havent had any problems yet.

Marc
07-28-2002, 09:03 AM
Good point, Donaldson and Keltiks...

BCan
07-30-2002, 07:36 AM
To go with the magnetisation - It is X-Rayed, which doesn't seem to scramble things. I had my digital camera, which had to go through many airport scanners in Europe....

Chr0nik
07-30-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Donaldson
This is how I look at it--if you can travel with a laptop why not an XBox.

Cause the Xbox weighs as much as 4 laptops :)

Young_Fledgling
07-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Cause the Xbox weighs as much as 4 laptops :)

I THINK UR WRONG!... hehe... i had an old beater laptop and i swear that thing was heavier.... cuz it was so old probablly :D

Shorezy
07-30-2002, 03:30 PM
I have the G-Pak too, and I travelled from London Ontario to Victoria British Columbia (which is a long way for those who don't know). Anyway, it worked out great for me, i recomend you do it man, go for the gusto and put your Naki G-Pak to the test.