PDA

View Full Version : The LAN adaptor, how does it work?

AlBoogy
10-30-2001, 12:36 PM
Does anyone have any idea? Ive searched many sites on this subject and found nothing. Anyone know how the lan adaptor works? Or can anyone link me to info? Thanx

l Maximus l
10-30-2001, 01:03 PM
I understand that all you do is you can attach two XBoxes (or more) to eachother in a room and each can play on seperate TVs instead of having split screens. This is a nice option :D

-Max

Rancey
10-31-2001, 01:40 AM
Yeah, the cable is just like a crossover cable you use if you wanna directly connect 2 pcs I am pretty sure.

scarecrow kfj
10-31-2001, 11:29 AM
its like a game boy link cable.

l Maximus l
10-31-2001, 02:49 PM
All that and a bag of chips (and beer...Mmmmmmm)

pamcur
10-31-2001, 09:03 PM
You can do a peer to peer hookup with the System Link cable. With a hub, you can network up to 4 Xboxes. Halo is one of the games that supports a 4-way hookup, for up to 16 players in the "free for all" game play.

Hugh_Jass
11-01-2001, 12:31 PM
I assume you'll also be able to hook this thing up to your cable modem to access the 'net for multiplayer gaming, updates, and who knows what else. I doubt MS will give us a version of IE or Outlook but you never know.

l Maximus l
11-01-2001, 12:34 PM
I'm so pumped up for LAN Networking...no more split screens while playing multi-player! Nice! That's the way it should be...and it is...finally!

-Max

AlBoogy
11-01-2001, 12:37 PM
OK two more questions,,,, how much is this adaptor and how long is it? I hope its like 40 feet or something so it can go across the hallway of my house at least.

l Maximus l
11-01-2001, 12:53 PM
AlBoogy...take a look at it for yourself:

Go to the XBox Addict Find Games site and find the XBox System Link Cable. Here's the description:

Enables two Xbox video game systems and two TVs to be connected allowing for up to 8 players to play simultaneously. The 20 ft cable allows for maximum flexibility.

pamcur
11-01-2001, 02:41 PM
If your Cable/DSL modem uses ethernet to hook up to your computer, you can hook up your Xbox directly to your modem. I've seen some DSL modems that use USB, in which case I'm not sure how it would work. You may be able to get a bit fancy with the networking, say by hooking into a NAT server or running WinGate, but that's complete speculation on my part.

The System Link cable is 20ft. I'm not sure if it's a special cable like a null modem cable, or if it's just standard Ethernet (RJ-45). If it is standard Ethernet, the possibilities open greatly.

I know there's supposed to be an article coming out soon on the LAN capabilities. Just keep checking the Xbox.com site.

l Maximus l
11-01-2001, 02:58 PM
Pamcur...To my understanding, the System Link Cables are simply nice high-end Cat-5 wiring.

pamcur
11-01-2001, 03:17 PM
Man, I should really RTFM sometimes ;)
Yeah, the System Link is Cat-5.
I'll see if I can get any info on the hub/LAN stuff...

JeremyX
11-01-2001, 11:05 PM
One of the benifits of having this brodband conection and HDD is found in DOA3. In a recent interview with Team Ninja it was eluded to that since the Japenese version of the game will hit shelves much later than the US version it will have more things on it. (e.g. updates, inprovments, new outfits and/or "skins" :D)
Just imagine downloading new missions, levels, stats, rosters, cheats and who knows what else. The future of gaming is upon us!!!