PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer Single player games or multi-player games?

l Maximus l
07-30-2002, 12:34 AM
I'm really curious to what the consensus is. I work with a dude that strongly prefers single player games, whereas, I prefer mutli-player games. But, we both love games like no tomorrow.

So, what is the consensus of the dudes of the Addict? Please feel free to say what you want to but don't forget to toggle that poll :D

Personally, I like mutli-player games the best because I'd rather play with buddies while swiggin' back a few frosty beverages.

Spike Minoda
07-30-2002, 12:38 AM
I love Multi Player games... But I prefer single... they dedicate it more i guess. also the closest person in age in my family is 4. I am currently training her in halo... anyway. I just moved and I barely know anyone here so i am stuck with one pkayer games.

Expedite_Wrap
07-30-2002, 12:46 AM
I have to say multiplayer, i can't stand sitting at home all by myself. i need someone to play a game with. But since i can't get dsl looks like all be seeing alot of what i don't like....single player:(

Spike Minoda
07-30-2002, 12:48 AM
also our comp died when i was using it and dad doesnt want me using it anyomre. bye bye halo online.http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

DZNUTZ
07-30-2002, 12:49 AM
multi-player of course....
while i must say i'm amazed on how far they have gotten with A.I. theres just nothing that comes close to the unpredictable nature of what another human player will decide to do ( way more unprecictable then the best AI around, the smack talking aspect aint to shabby ;) )
replayability is one of, if not the most , important feature i look for in buying a title
plus i'm with maximus...nothing like a few buds and a few suds.;)

Rochey69r
07-30-2002, 02:10 AM
i love playing link up halo.

i recon multi games are the shlt.

but i hate split screen unless its your teammates in a FPS.

link up rules for halo.

whereas playing just 2 ppl on 1 xbox sucks cause everyone screen cheats.

NO RADAR
100 health
NO SHIELDS
HUMAN WEAPONS
5 LIVES EACH
ALL VEHICLES
BLOOD GULCH
2 xbox's 2 peopel on each team

try it!! :)

sinizuh
07-30-2002, 02:35 AM
i prefer single player games... cause i only have one controler... but online gaming > single player & home multiplayer.

Keltiks
07-30-2002, 02:39 AM
No matter how fun a game is I get very bored of it if I am not playing against someone. I just like playing in person cause you can talk $hit to their face.

Reclaimer
07-30-2002, 02:58 AM
Got to admit, talking trash to your buddies is a lot better than talking trash to a TV screen. Multiplayer all the way.

Duke
07-30-2002, 05:52 AM
Absolutely multi-player. Which is the main reason I'm excited for XBL.

I hate split screen, although it's not so bad for 3 player halo as long as I'm not 2nd or 3rd player :p

Unfortunately, I've gotten old enough where most of my friends aren't really playing games unless they come over here (unfortunately, as a result of this, they all really too inexperienced to make it a real game) which is why i can't wait to play you all online.

Tinny
07-30-2002, 07:42 AM
You know, I use to think that current FPSs are only good for MP. Games like UT and Q3 and CS. Half Life games had great SP games but you always go to the MP. Even MoH:AA had a great SP but you always find yourself storming the beach on the net. Then Halo came. I can say with all honesty that Halo has the best SP gaming experience that I ever played. And it changed my mind about FPSs.

I prefer Single Player.

(Ofcourse, I still love MP)

Snapple
07-30-2002, 07:52 AM
i would have to go with multiplayer games but if i had the choice i would prefer both in a game:)

borka105
07-30-2002, 10:11 AM
I have 3 controllers, but 90% of the time I play alone. All my friends live a bit too far away, and probably 1/10 times that I play, I will play with someone multiplayer.

I usually player multiplayer at a friends house or a party, but other than that, it's strictly single player. If you are talking about fps or racers, I enjoy the single player experience a lot more.

HERE IS WHY..................................................

It seems that many of the great XBOX games that come out are too hard to play for first timers. Like I'll invite a friend who owns a gamecube and we'll start playing pgr. Not only is he ****ed of that he keeps on losing, but he complains that the game is way to hard. I think that because XBOX is designed for the older age, it has a bigger learining curve in it's games than others. The only game I can invite a person who doesn't own an XBOX and have him jump in and enjoy is Fusion Frenzy.

Thus being said, the only good multiplayer experience is against fellow xbox owners who aren't newbies.

When you get a great multiplayer going, their is nothing that beats it!!!!

On the other hand, I feel much more compelled and excited player single player with the lights out in my 36"" wega tv in Halo or Hunter.

I think single player takes the cake, while multiplayer shines in some areas.

Peace
-Borka105

OppiumNitrates
07-30-2002, 11:23 AM
i think that the multi player experiance is better because of a few things . . . . talking smack to grunts and elites isnt as fufilling as talking smack to your best frined (even though the elite and grunts talk smack back)
people r deffinatly much smarter then AI (but they can also SUCK alot more then the AI)
single player experinace is more of a compitiion with ones self (if u can do it type thing) . . . mulit is competition between others . . .

Highlite23
07-30-2002, 12:57 PM
I gotta say i really enjoy both. There are pleasures in going it alone against the AI in Legendary in Halo, and a different rush from pulverizing your friends by tossing a grenade between his legs when he aint looking.

But for the sake of Max's poll i'll go with Multi-player by a smidge.:D

WynnFire
07-30-2002, 01:24 PM
For the longest time I said Single Player when I was asked this question, I now say Multi Player. Of course, the only people I know that I can play multiplayer are only 10 and 11 and live kind of far from me and I only see them like once every other month.

XboxFan7
07-30-2002, 01:25 PM
i like multiplayer the best........after you beat the game in single player, and you beat again like 15 more times, it gets boring but when you play multiplayer, the fun never ends!

wweomaniac
07-30-2002, 04:44 PM
I would prfer multiplayer games over single player games any day! I never really played Halo single player that much. I don't play rallisport challenge that much either.

I always have friends over playing multiplayer... so single is outta the question.

for me to play single player... the game's gotta be either really innovative or really fun! That's why i don't play Morrowind... it's not that fun :(

l Maximus l
07-30-2002, 06:35 PM
Now that I think about it, because I'm not the biggest fan of single-player games, that must be why I'm not a huge fan of the RPG genre. Hmmmm.... :confused:

And, I agree with DZNUTZ 100%...there's nothing better than the unpredictible behavior that a human opponent will make versus predictible artificial intelligence.

As for Split Screen... I mean, who likes split screen? I don't either...and I agree that it's the best when you're all on the same team. But, split screen gaming is one of those "necessary evils" that we have to deal with...without it, there would be no expansive worlds in multi-player games... I mean, every game would be like Gauntlet :(

:D

borka105
07-30-2002, 07:05 PM
i think it's more of what mood you are in.

For instance, coming home from a hard days at work, One would like to turn on the XBOX put in Max Payne and for those 2 hours forget everything that happened that day and enjoy the game.

But, on a Saturday, their is nothing I like better than inviting 5 friends and doing some fun multiplayer.

What matters is what games you play, what times, and how your feeling.

I also think that your question can't really be answered. I feel that for a game to be worthy of $50 it must have a great single player that you enjoy to play and a great multiplayer.

-I bought Morrowind, and after 2 hours realized it wasn't for me, just not enough excitement :( .

-Borka105

wweomaniac
07-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
As for Split Screen... I mean, who likes split screen?
:D I would prefer to play on two TVs but I don't ALWAYS have the luxury. You always gotta wait for the next Xbox party... The biggest thing stopping split screen from being fun is not the size (I don't mind 2 player split... but four is a bit too small) but TWO WORDS: PERIPHRAL VISION! I hate how people either accidentally or purposely looka t your screen.

lllSmokelll
07-30-2002, 09:21 PM
i like both but i like single player more

No Fear 23
07-30-2002, 09:27 PM
i would have to say that i prefer both of em.

for 1, i like to play a game by myself to have the advantage of exploring the game and learning the game first.

and 2, for co-op multiplayer, after learning the game first, while my friend dosent know it, i can help him out much better.

and 3, multiplayer, what can i say? theres nothing better than kicking your friends asz. lol

Integra Man
07-31-2002, 01:44 AM
id have to agree with the people who said they prefer multiplayer because i always have friends ready to play and im not a fan of sitting home by my self playing a game. so ya:)

kornavs19
07-31-2002, 09:47 AM
I like multi- player games better.....
1) Replay Value
2)U could strategize and your opponents...
3)Nuthn beats blowin up the covenant while crackin some jokes and chilln with your friends......

I just dont like the split screen.......:)

Supperdog
07-31-2002, 10:10 AM
i prefer singleplayer games.

for the longest time, i was stuck on a pc with no internet (before any consoles) and the lack of multiplayer for so many years made me used to single player and nothing else. while i love multiplayer games, i am a creature of habit and single player games seem more natural to me. thats the best that i can explain it.