PDA

View Full Version : Importing an XBOX to UK.......

Stouffer
10-30-2001, 04:47 PM
March seems a very long time to wait to get an xbox, what difficulties would I be presented with if I wanted to import one from America to the UK?

For example, would English games work with it, do I need different cables, is there any good reason why I should wait until its out in the UK?

Thanx for any reply

l Maximus l
10-30-2001, 05:31 PM
Stouffer...I don't see why not? Go for it, dude! I would!

Stouffer
10-30-2001, 05:53 PM
I totally want the xbox, I have a good P.C. and am getting bored of all these strategy games which take 4 hours before anything good happens. I want some action for a change and I am looking forward to Halo the most.

I know its not just a case of going to an American website and ordering an Xbox so I really need to know what stuff I need to make sure everything works. :confused:

Rancey
10-31-2001, 12:48 AM
To the best of my knowledge UK uses PAL, US I know uses NTSC, so in other words it won't work...(unless I am wrong and UK uses PAL but I am very sure it doesn't)

Lochenvar
10-31-2001, 06:14 AM
If your TV is fairly recent, it should be able to accept an NTSC signal. Might tell you in the users manual, if you've still got it ;)
You'll also need a step down transformer to provide the power for it. Not sure what power output it'll need to be (anyone else have any idea how much power the XBox draws, as I need to know too).
Supposedly, the Box is only going to have an optional regional lockout, so that games companies can use it if they want, but import games are usually pretty comparable in price to UK ones and generally come out months before we get them.
Good luck if you decide to go for it, I know I am!

Stouffer
10-31-2001, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the advice, I will investigate further and start saving up hard. I am currently in a £30 debt :( but I just got a new job working at a cafe :D

any further info would be much appreciated

xboxlover
10-31-2001, 12:19 PM
Cool another britain lad, i think i will wait for the uk release me self or should i import ummm.

Lochenvar
10-31-2001, 05:21 PM
Import, import, import, import, import, import, import!! :D

and, just to ask again, does anyone know the power requirements of the XBox? Would a 100W step down cover it?

Cheers

Rancey
10-31-2001, 11:30 PM
Don't hold me to this but I think the palates are different and it will not work

Lochenvar
11-01-2001, 05:53 AM
Palettes?
Well, US and Japanese consoles are imported to the UK the time with no problems, as long as your TV supports pure NTSC. I haven't heard anything about the XBox being different in that respect.
You'll know in a couple of weeks from the sound of me sobbing across the Atlantic if mine doesn't work! :)

Rancey
11-01-2001, 05:56 AM
Lochenvar> Will you be able to play UK games or will you need to import US games also?

Lochenvar
11-01-2001, 06:29 AM
I'll certainly be importing US games to start with, or I won't have anything to play on it until March! ;)
After that, not sure. It depends on whether the region coding option is used by Devcos, I imagine it will but, given that it's optional, there may well be an easy way around it, using a boot disk or something. (This is all my conjecture, by the way, don't quote me! :) )
But, to be honest I won't mind that much if I have to keep importing US games. You guys get 90% of stuff way before we do and it won't cost much more.
I fact, I'll be more interested in getting past the region coding in order it import Japanese games.

Lochenvar
11-01-2001, 06:31 AM
Oh, sorry. I've just noticed that you're in Australia.
When are you guys getting the 'Box?
Are you planning on importing from the US, if it's a while?

Stouffer
11-01-2001, 02:42 PM
cheers guys, I think im gonna buy a new tele and check that its fully NTSC compatible. I suppose I can always send the xbox back if it doesnt work. I guess you lot will know more when it comes out so i'll stop badgering people until then.:cool: