PDA

View Full Version : Question I've wanted to know, but was too afraid to ask!

Software2
07-30-2002, 08:30 PM
Okay. This is one of those questions that I'm sure many of us have wanted to know the answer to, but were all to afraid to ask. Well, I can't stand it anymore. I need to know!

The XBox can play music cds, as we all know. We can even put them on our hard drive. I tried putting a cd I burned into it, and it refused to recognise it. I thought it was the cd, so I tried another. No luck. They all work in every other player I own (And that's alot of different kinds (DVD player, DVD-ROM, Rio Player, Normal CD player, CD-ROM))

To complicate matters, months after the XBox came out I saw a product review on Toonami. They were reviewing the XBox console itself, and they said you could play your burned cds and mp3s on it.

Now that just blows my mind. Am I doing something wrong? Or is AOL Time Warner wrong? Is it a mix of the two? What is it?!?

Duke
07-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Actually this has been asked and answered many many many times.

Anyway, you can play burned discs, but they have to be CD-RW, not just regular CD-R's.

Hope that helps, next time just search the forum.

Welcome to XBA

POD13259
07-30-2002, 08:46 PM
I tried playing a CD-RW, and it wouldn't work. Does it have to do with the speed at which it was burned?

Snapple
07-30-2002, 08:55 PM
how is this a question that you would be afraid to ask?????????:D

lllSmokelll
07-30-2002, 09:15 PM
dont you need a mod chip do play burned cds

Chaotic
07-30-2002, 09:16 PM
Any cdrw should work.

The ones that seem to work the best are Verbatim CDRW.

No Fear 23
07-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by xboxfan38
how is this a question that you would be afraid to ask?????????:D

hes prolly afraid of getting flamed at or feeling retarded. but who cares.

Zion
07-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Yeah, Verbatim CD-RW's work fine. But you can't burn MP3's on until you convert them back to regular CD audio format.

Chaotic
07-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Zion
Yeah, Verbatim CD-RW's work fine. But you can't burn MP3's on until you convert them back to regular CD audio format.

Right you cant just copy and paste mp3 files to a cd then copy them to the xbox hard drive, you need to make an audio cd using the mp3 files which converts them to WAV then you can burn them to the xbox hd like a regular music cd using a CDRW.

POD13259
07-30-2002, 09:51 PM
Wait wait wait wait wait, let me get this straight...

1.) burn MP3 files to CD
2.) burn the burned MP3 files to a CD-RW
3.) copy CD-RW files to Xbox hard drive

Is that correct?

And, oh yeah, is there a good quality CD to use besides Verbatim? Cause I haven't seen those anywhere. And how much these things cost, anyway?

Chaotic
07-30-2002, 09:59 PM
No you have it wrong.

Just create an AUDIO cd like you would normally with any MP3 files.

For example use the Nero Audio wizard copy your mp3 files to your list and Write the MP3 files the the CDRW then take the CDRW to your xbox and copy the music off the cd.

Zion
07-31-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by POD13259
Wait wait wait wait wait, let me get this straight...

1.) burn MP3 files to CD
2.) burn the burned MP3 files to a CD-RW
3.) copy CD-RW files to Xbox hard drive

Is that correct?

And, oh yeah, is there a good quality CD to use besides Verbatim? Cause I haven't seen those anywhere. And how much these things cost, anyway?

No. Convert your .mp3 files to .wav files and burn them to a CD-RW as an audio CD. Like mentor said, Nero will do the conversion for you on the fly so it's just a drag and drop deal.

Verbatim is the only type I will use. If you can't find them, just try whatever brand you can find until you get one that works. CD-RW's are like $5-$7 for a 3 pack.

smashnp934
07-31-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
Actually this has been asked and answered many many many times.

Anyway, you can play burned discs, but they have to be CD-RW, not just regular CD-R's.

Hope that helps, next time just search the forum.

Welcome to XBA

WRONG!!!!!!! There are regular CD-R's that work. Check out this page for reference of which cd-r's and cd-rw's work:

http://funxbox.com/cdlist.shtml

Also, yes you MUST have .WAV files on the disk. The XBOX converts these WAV files to WMV format. You cannot burn the cd in WMV format and then expect the files to load correctly to the hard drive. The Xbox converts the WAV!!!

Snake Eyez
07-31-2002, 06:51 PM
Smash, great find with the list. I'm sure that this question will be asked again and having a site to reference them will help.

POD13259
07-31-2002, 07:09 PM
Tried opening the CD List file with MS Word, but it was like all ****** up (over 1,000 pages with weird little symbols). Guess I'll have to try and find Verbatim CD's, or find out the hard way with each brand.

And smash, are those .WAV files specific files that you get somewhere? I'm a total newbie at this kind of thing; all the stuff I've copied to my hard drive is from actual music CD's.

smashnp934
07-31-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by POD13259
Tried opening the CD List file with MS Word, but it was like all ****** up (over 1,000 pages with weird little symbols). Guess I'll have to try and find Verbatim CD's, or find out the hard way with each brand.

And smash, are those .WAV files specific files that you get somewhere? I'm a total newbie at this kind of thing; all the stuff I've copied to my hard drive is from actual music CD's.

POD, first off that CD list file is actually a PDF file. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these type of files. Follow this link to download: http://download.com.com/3000-2378-8338119.html?tag=lst-0-1

Secondly, on actual music CD's each track is a single .WAV file. These .WAV files are huge, amounting to 30 - 60 megs a piece. No wonder actual CD's only contain 8 - 14 songs. MP3 and WMV take advantage of the fact that there is only so much the human ear can actually "hear" and takes that out of the original audio file. Also, the quality of the audio file (track) can be downgraded as well (among other things), all these things adding up to why a MP3 or WMV file is only 3 - 6 megs! SOOOO...your question. If you have MP3's or WMV's and you want those songs on your Xbox as well, then here's what you do (remember, you should own the CD of the artist you have MP3's of, you can not blame me for anything you do with this information, blah blah blah, it's at your sole own risk, I take no responsibility).

The thing you will have to do is convert say your MP3 file to WAV format. This can be done easily in most MP3 players these days, for example, Winamp. Use their "Help" sections to get the full details on how to do this (usually just a few small steps). Then after they are converted to WAV (and saved in this format to your hard drive), simply use your burning software to create a regular burnt audio CD. Fill it with what WAV files you can (remember, now you'll only probably be able to fill a CD-R or CD-RW with 8-14 songs) and burn away! Then load into the Xbox and it'll do it's work like a regular audio CD. It's a good tip to delete the WAV files you just created if you are no longer going to use them, as they will really eat away at your hard drive space.

Hope this helps!!